Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2018 11:26:28 PM EDT
There is a nice looking Rem 1100 for sale locally and I am currently looking for a shotty to try this efile Form1 with. I am not too up on semi autos..... does chopping the barrel down affect the gas operation of these guns? I just want to get my Form1 back and run the barrel down a band saw. A semi auto seems like a good option for a home defense gun.

What is an optimal barrel length when we talk about open choke barrels and buck shot? Can you chop these guns down to 12" or so and still keep the pellets in a body sized target at 25/30 yards?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been asking myself the same question, and doing some reading, for the past several months.  I'd really like a semi auto SBS.  So, this just came out:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/10/09/remington-scattergun/

I figure this is an SBS starter kit pre-configured for that barrel length at the factory.  I'm waiting for them to hit the streets and the price to come down to something reasonable, then I'm gonna buy one and form 1 it.

I know that's not addressing what you were specifically asking, but my research has indicated that yes, you can run into issues chopping a semi auto SBS, and this eliminates them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#2]
TLDR,
I ran my 1100 in several classes. 18" barrel and a speed loader type thing I put on my mag feed.
Never an issue. The Benelli's and some other high dollar set up...issues. It was funny.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Shockwave semi autos are coming out soon. Might be easiest to sbs a factory one
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I have my eye on a Remington 11 locally. If I can get the price down a little...... Efile here I come.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have my eye on a Remington 11 locally. If I can get the price down a little...... Efile here I come.
View Quote
Just to clarify, Remington 11 or 1100?
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just to clarify, Remington 11 or 1100?
View Quote
Remington 11. I passed on the 1100 after talking to a gunsmith that had issues cutting them down and getting them to run. Sorry, I kinda got my question answered and didn't post an update. As stated before by the other guys, waiting for the semi auto shockwave is really the best route to go that direction. Just throw a stock on it. Most people seem to run into issues with normal 1100 going less that 18-21" in seems. The Model 11 is recoil operated.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Sawn off & cut down Model 11's were popular in the 20's & 30's as whippit guns

Bonnie Parker was supposedly fond a 20 gauge ...

Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, bought a Remington Model 11 "Sportman" "Military Finish". This poor girl once had a nice life with her owner. No doubt a cherished weapon. Then her owner died and his son took her home. Seeing the "Military Finish" looking a bit old and "grimy" as he recalls...... the finish was all but scrubbed off. Luckily for me, the price I paid reflected these transgressions against all that is good and right in this world. If anyone is looking for a once very nice Browning A5 with a half sanded off stock...... I have a line on one as well.  Luckily the wood on this is intact and looking fine.

As fate would have it the 10 fingerprint cards ( Yeah, they mailed 10 for free ) from the ATF were waiting on me in the mailbox. Time to Efile and get my fingers inky.

" />
" />
" />

Efile Submitted: DAY 1
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

A Remy 11 sbs pic to keep you going (20g and 12g on top)
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, bought a Remington Model 11 "Sportman" "Military Finish". This poor girl once had a nice life with her owner. No doubt a cherished weapon. Then her owner died and his son took her home. Seeing the "Military Finish" looking a bit old and "grimy" as he recalls...... the finish was all but scrubbed off. Luckily for me, the price I paid reflected these transgressions against all that is good and right in this world. If anyone is looking for a once very nice Browning A5 with a half sanded off stock...... I have a line on one as well.  Luckily the wood on this is intact and looking fine.

As fate would have it the 10 fingerprint cards ( Yeah, they mailed 10 for free ) from the ATF were waiting on me in the mailbox. Time to Efile and get my fingers inky.

https://preview.ibb.co/eZcFGV/IMG-0125.jpg" target="_blank">https://preview.ibb.co/eZcFGV/IMG-0125.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/dMdcVq/IMG-0127.jpg" target="_blank">https://preview.ibb.co/dMdcVq/IMG-0127.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/koR9bV/IMG-0128.jpg" target="_blank">https://preview.ibb.co/koR9bV/IMG-0128.jpg

Efile Submitted: DAY 1
View Quote
Wassat??

The Rem 11 models had no magazine cut off/disconnect on the left side.
Sure that's not an A5 made by Remington? (Under contract to Browning)

Add the two part follower, let's the gun Speedload as with the post-54 models....

Awaiting "Whippet Gun" goodness...!!

ETA: its a military marked US issue gun.
Don't chop it if you can help it, but DO find a spare barrel that you can chop.
If it was mine I'd refinish it to original spec.
AND have a Whippet barrel for shits & giggles
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wassat??

The Rem 11 models had no magazine cut off/disconnect on the left side.
Sure that's not an A5 made by Remington? (Under contract to Browning)

Add the two part follower, let's the gun Speedload as with the post-54 models....

Awaiting "Whippet Gun" goodness...!!

https://pics.me.me/whippet-whippet-good-ideclareshenanigans-3939526.png

ETA: its a military marked US issue gun.
Don't chop it if you can help it, but DO find a spare barrel that you can chop.
If it was mine I'd refinish it to original spec.
AND have a Whippet barrel for shits & giggles
View Quote
That is not a magazine cut off/disconnect swing lever like on my two A5s. Its a Remington Model 11 with correct serial numbers and barrel markings. I am not really clear on the US markings on it. This one dates to prior WWII and has the longer barrel and poly choke. From what I can find some were made for skeet/trap shooting on military bases and some were made to train anti aircraft gunners...... which makes perfect sense for the military, since I don't think it makes much sense at all...... Mine also has a different magazine than all the others I have seen here. On the mag cap there is a pin you pull out. Then you unscrew it. But the tube isnt threaded on the outside. The cap is more like a bolt that is threaded down inside the magazine tube.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm loving the pics in this thread and have a Remington Model 11 considering SBS converting.

For those that have done it and cut the Model 11 barrel flush with the magazine tube end - Does it still runs on light and heavy loads as per settings?

My model 11 is flawless with light and heavy loads (settings adjusted with friction rings)  If its cut down, what can I expect?  I love running light loads and moderate loading buckshot like Rio for blasting fun at the range.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Going to use this thread to track my experience with the new Efile system for others that might have questions.

I completed the online forms in about 15 minutes taking care to fill out all boxes correctly. For being set up by the government, it really was a pretty simple process. This is not my first go around with NFA items but in the past my FFL completed all paperwork.

BATFE Eforms

First you will have to setup an account with them. You will need an email and setup a password. A user name will then be emailed to you made up of your first initial, last name and some random numbers.

At this point go ahead and take a "Selfy" photo of yourself on your cell phone and download that to your computer. Make it a face shot like on your driver's license.

You will then use your emailed user name and password to log in. There are multiple forms. For a SBS/SBR you are creating/chopping it's a Form1. As I type this, I have an email from the BATFE that more or less implies the Form4 to transfer NFA items will be online "soon". So select the form you want by clicking on the icon.

Now you will start filling out boxes. This will look very similar to your Form 4473 you use to by a gun from an FFL. All the same questions. Then all of your personal information. Just type exactly what is on your driver's license.

If you are filing as an individual there will be a form they talk about, that you dont need. It is for trusts only. It should be grayed out so you cant click on it, since by this tim eyou have selected filing as an individual.

Now there are two boxes you will have to fill out that might not be common sense. One is your "title" or something like that. I referred to myself as "maker" as I am the one making this SBS by chopping it down. The other one is the "purpose" for the NFA item. I went with "Sporting Purposes" which seemed direct enough.

Then there will be a box to click to upload your picture. So do that. Then you will put in the gun info so have the make/model/serial/barrel and overall length ready to input. It will also ask you for a description after you have already described everything about it already. I just typed in "Remington Model 11 12g Short Barrel Shotgun".

The $200 tax stamp will be paid by card online. If nothing appears when you click the button your pop up blocker is killing it. I thought I fucked something up. But I clicked a box in my browser to allow pop ups and all was well.

Once all this is done you are good to go. In a few secs you will get another email from the ATF. This email has a form to print out that you put with your fingerprints you will have to mail in. It has the control numbers and what not to link the prints to the online forms you just printed. If you don't have fingerprint cards go on the BATFE website and order some. They are free. You will need two per stamp. I ordered 10..... cuz why not. You will need to mail your prints within 10 days of completing the online App.

I completed the online App 10/26/18
I mailed the prints priority with tracking 10/29/18 with an expected delivery date of 10/31/18
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Going to use this thread to track my experience with the new Efile system for others that might have questions.

I completed the online forms in about 15 minutes taking care to fill out all boxes correctly. For being set up by the government, it really was a pretty simple process. This is not my first go around with NFA items but in the past my FFL completed all paperwork.

BATFE Eforms

First you will have to setup an account with them. You will need an email and setup a password. A user name will then be emailed to you made up of your first initial, last name and some random numbers.

At this point go ahead and take a "Selfy" photo of yourself on your cell phone and download that to your computer. Make it a face shot like on your driver's license.

You will then use your emailed user name and password to log in. There are multiple forms. For a SBS/SBR you are creating/chopping it's a Form1. As I type this, I have an email from the BATFE that more or less implies the Form4 to transfer NFA items will be online "soon". So select the form you want by clicking on the icon.

Now you will start filling out boxes. This will look very similar to your Form 4473 you use to by a gun from an FFL. All the same questions. Then all of your personal information. Just type exactly what is on your driver's license.

If you are filing as an individual there will be a form they talk about, that you dont need. It is for trusts only. It should be grayed out so you cant click on it, since by this tim eyou have selected filing as an individual.

Now there are two boxes you will have to fill out that might not be common sense. One is your "title" or something like that. I referred to myself as "maker" as I am the one making this SBS by chopping it down. The other one is the "purpose" for the NFA item. I went with "Sporting Purposes" which seemed direct enough.

Then there will be a box to click to upload your picture. So do that. Then you will put in the gun info so have the make/model/serial/barrel and overall length ready to input. It will also ask you for a description after you have already described everything about it already. I just typed in "Remington Model 11 12g Short Barrel Shotgun".

The $200 tax stamp will be paid by card online. If nothing appears when you click the button your pop up blocker is killing it. I thought I fucked something up. But I clicked a box in my browser to allow pop ups and all was well.

Once all this is done you are good to go. In a few secs you will get another email from the ATF. This email has a form to print out that you put with your fingerprints you will have to mail in. It has the control numbers and what not to link the prints to the online forms you just printed. If you don't have fingerprint cards go on the BATFE website and order some. They are free. You will need two per stamp. I ordered 10..... cuz why not. You will need to mail your prints within 10 days of completing the online App.

I completed the online App 10/26/18
I mailed the prints priority with tracking 10/29/18 with an expected delivery date of 10/31/18
View Quote
Thanks for the overview - I have been using Silencer Shop as they do that and electronically have fingerprints on file for any future Forms.

Does the ATF print form have instructions for prints as in can one DIY their own prints? or must it be done by a LE Agency?
Can they be scanned and stored for future submissions?  To me the hardest part of the forms is the time it takes to do ink prints each time.  When Silencer Shop came out with the kiosk - its just been so easy - Hoping ATF is catching up to that.  Heck I can scan prints on my Iphone!
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#15]
The ATF wants two new fingerprint cards every time you apply for a new stamp. I bought two suppressors at the same time a couple of years ago and had to send four print cards at once (two for each one). I have had to send photos and prints everytime. So while they store them I am sure. They still want new ones each time.

Order some print cards, they are free. On the card there is a box where the person who takes the prints puts their name. I have used two different PDs. The first couple times a civilian worker took the prints and put her name. This last time on Officer was called off the road to come do them. I do not see why you could not do them yourself and put N/A in those boxes. I would consult the ATF or a Class III dealer. I can tell you that it is not physically easy to take your own prints. The way you have to not press too hard and roll the finger from side to side isn't easy to get right on your own with ink.

I have read that the Suppressor Shop will mail you printed cards with your prints if they already have them on file. I have never used them, so I cannot speak to the process. I believe someone said there is a fee for that..... as they are a company trying to make money. But that would make it so you wouldn't have to mess with going somewhere to get them done.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#16]
This is 13" and runs everything except slugs, but the gun never liked slugs in the first place.

Remington Model 11 SBS by Matt H, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is 13" and runs everything except slugs, but the gun never liked slugs in the first place.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4668/39723018832_c1268b2718_c.jpgRemington Model 11 SBS by Matt H, on Flickr
View Quote
That is the gun that started my fascination wtih SBS-ing a model 11.

You have a sweet gun there!

Mine runs most everything I put in it -It will run slugs, but the 2-3/4 brenneke magnum slugs I stocked up on at 99 cents a box clearance a few years back i'll shoot 2-3 boxes and then want to switch to lighter loads. (ouch!)  Cheap buckshot from walmart and light loads are fine for extended shooting and blasting fun.  I'd hate to cut it and only be able to run max loads.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That is the gun that started my fascination wtih SBS-ing a model 11.

You have a sweet gun there!

Mine runs most everything I put in it -It will run slugs, but the 2-3/4 brenneke magnum slugs I stocked up on at 99 cents a box clearance a few years back i'll shoot 2-3 boxes and then want to switch to lighter loads. (ouch!)  Cheap buckshot from walmart and light loads are fine for extended shooting and blasting fun.  I'd hate to cut it and only be able to run max loads.

Thanks for the input.
View Quote
I'm not sure the barrel cut had anything to do with it not feeding slugs. I'm trying to source another barrel to cut and re-thread to like 18" to try a salvo on it. It seems as if when I run slugs the extractor doesn't hold on to the case good enough. It has a new extractor, and a new spring, so no idea. But it runs light loads and buckshot all day, so I don't complain :D
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm not sure the barrel cut had anything to do with it not feeding slugs. I'm trying to source another barrel to cut and re-thread to like 18" to try a salvo on it. It seems as if when I run slugs the extractor doesn't hold on to the case good enough. It has a new extractor, and a new spring, so no idea. But it runs light loads and buckshot all day, so I don't complain :D
View Quote
I always wanted a SBS, but as said before when I saw yours I was motivated to get one going. A week later Efile came online and I saw a Model 11 locally. The stars aligned! What order do you run the rings in the recoil system?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:36:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I always wanted a SBS, but as said before when I saw yours I was motivated to get one going. A week later Efile came online and I saw a Model 11 locally. The stars aligned! What order do you run the rings in the recoil system?
View Quote
I run the light setup for the light loads, and the heavy setup for slugs and buckshot
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That is not a magazine cut off/disconnect swing lever like on my two A5s. Its a Remington Model 11 with correct serial numbers and barrel markings. I am not really clear on the US markings on it. This one dates to prior WWII and has the longer barrel and poly choke. [color=#ff0000]
From what I can find some were made for skeet/trap shooting on military bases and some were made to train anti aircraft gunners...... which makes perfect sense for the military, since I don't think it makes much sense at all
[/color]...... Mine also has a different magazine than all the others I have seen here. On the mag cap there is a pin you pull out. Then you unscrew it. But the tube isnt threaded on the outside. The cap is more like a bolt that is threaded down inside the magazine tube.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think its the "Sportsman" style of the Remington model 11 with the different mag /for-end I think they were originally 3 shot models for waterfowl.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think its the "Sportsman" style of the Remington model 11 with the different mag /for-end I think they were originally 3 shot models for waterfowl.
View Quote
It is different than all of the other models I have seen here, the way the magazine cap works. All I know is the little scraps of info found on various gun boards through google searching. The info seems all over the place. Esp when it comes to the "US flaming bomb" and "Military Finish". The magazine does only hold two rounds. I took it out to the range and it cycles bird shot, heavy shot and buck shot perfectly without changing up the ring configuration in the recoil system.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:54:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It is different than all of the other models I have seen here, the way the magazine cap works. All I know is the little scraps of info found on various gun boards through google searching. The info seems all over the place. Esp when it comes to the "US flaming bomb" and "Military Finish". The magazine does only hold two rounds. I took it out to the range and it cycles bird shot, heavy shot and buck shot perfectly without changing up the ring configuration in the recoil system.
View Quote
You might want to sbs a different one or confirm a few things first.  The sportsmans ones are 2 plus 1, while the others are 4 plus 1.  Not sure if they have a full tube with "dimples", like the newer Remington 870's, etc?  Can the 2 plus be converted to a 4 plus or is it permanently a 2 plus 1?  The handgards are different too which makes me think the sportsmans one are skinnier for a shorter or thinner tube??
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#25]
The tube is shorter and only holds 2 rounds. The tube its self must be the same width etc, because the rings from my A5 fit in it just fine. It does look a lot smaller in pics because that cap is actually a bolt that screws down inside the magazine instead of the threads being around the outside of the magazine. I am not too hung up on the 2 round tube. The gun's finish is gone and I got it on the cheap..... It is going to be more of a range toy and just fits the "old school" SBS I wanted to build. I am waiting to see what these new semi auto tac-14 style guns start selling for and maybe SBS one of those for a defense gun. I have too many old 2 3/4" shotguns just collecting dust because the only shotgun hunting I do is waterfowl and you just get so much more out of modern 3" shells.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Can’t go wrong with it
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#27]
After contacting my Senator my Efile Form1 has been approved....... so time to get busy on this.

Pics added to the SBS photo thread.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Is there enough meat on the barrel to have it threaded for chokes once cut down?  I have wanted an A5/Model 11 SBS forever to cut down and use turkey hunting.
Also does anyone have a source for new manufacture barrels?  I would like to have one long barrel for upland hunting as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is there enough meat on the barrel to have it threaded for chokes once cut down?  I have wanted an A5/Model 11 SBS forever to cut down and use turkey hunting.
Also does anyone have a source for new manufacture barrels?  I would like to have one long barrel for upland hunting as well.
View Quote
Yes, you can get them threaded for chokes once cut down. See the post above by Buffman. I have never heard of new barrels, so used ones are you only option. I read somewhere that you can take a barrel extension off a damaged Rem 11 barrel and put that on an a5 barrel. No clue if that it true or how easy it would be. Your best bet for aftermarket support would be not go with a Rem 11. IMHO. Just get a Browning A5.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I hope you are not planning on doing anything to that finish OP.

That patina is just beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've fallen in love with mine. 1963 Belgium A-5 with full choke.
[/url]" />
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top