Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2020 9:56:10 PM EDT
Friends, I am in a replace what you load mode where I just can't pass up small pistol primers if I see them.
So I purchased a brick of Remington 1 1\2 primers at the local sportsmans whorehouse.
Who uses these and are they any good?
I figured 38 special or 9mm should be fine.
What says the hive?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought 10000 but haven’t loaded any yet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with DryFlash, if I could find Remington primers on a regular basis they would be all I use.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a couple Glock 21s that would not set off Winchester primers consistently.  Remington primers were 100%.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 4:53:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the size 1-1/2 is recommended for 9/.38 but not .40 from what I learned recently.  They aren't rated for higher pressure supposedly.  I remember because I put a note on the brick I have in that size.  Didn’t know that until I think I learned it recently, probably on this reloading forum.  

I do have some anecdotal info- WA state ammo contract mid 90’s was Remington.  Some folks complained about them having hard primers (my dad hated that ammo in .38/.357 mainly, and had issue with it sometimes).  Personally I didn’t have trouble in my G22, but I did see guys having a lot of issues at the quals with S&W autos for various reasons.  I wasn’t an armorer/instructor yet so I didn’t pay that much attention.  Their weapons were a complete hodgepodge so that may have been part of it.  (go to qual on rifles- out comes an AR15, a Mini14, a MAK90, an SKS, an M1A, etc.  Crazy.). (My dad was the one with the MAK90).  I was just a reserve with them so getting to go out and shoot their ammo was great.  I later became an instructor at other agencies, and in my time learned to hate both CCI Blazer aluminum cased ammo, and Winchester lead free primers.  (Both are great for lots of malfunction drills...)

Anyhow- To this day, my dad bitches about Remington primers....  who knows.  He reloads plenty for hunting and knows what he is doing, but doesn’t do as much handgun loading.  

I have loaded a lot of the Rem primers myself, no issue loading, but haven’t shot that much of those loadings up yet.  No issue with the ones I have used so far.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 4:55:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Friends, I am in a replace what you load mode where I just can't pass up small pistol primers if I see them.
So I purchased a brick of Remington 1 1\2 primers at the local sportsmans whorehouse.
Who uses these and are they any good?
I figured 38 special or 9mm should be fine.
What says the hive?
View Quote

Also- just wondering where we might find such location of ill repute that also sells primers?  Seems like a great business model for the outdoors minded folks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also- just wondering where we might find such location of ill repute that also sells primers?  Seems like a great business model for the outdoors minded folks.
View Quote

Bahh you know I meant the sportsmans warehouse.
I don't know if they are nation wide though.
They seem to keep a better inventory of components and ammo.
I stop in there every time I ride the horse into town. (Throwing this in here for humor)
I loaded out nearly an entire brick just about, of sp couple of weeks ago.  So I wanted to stay ahead of that.
I am going to try the primers in 9mm since I have brass enough to load a bunch.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Most people turn their nose up at Remington primers.
They are good one of my favorites is the the Rem 7.5.
There is nothing wrong with Rem 1.5 primers for standard small pistol or their 5.5 small pistol magnum.
Remington's tend to be higher priced primers @ the wholesale level.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
20 year old info. Best to ask remington again.

Rem 1 1/2  not for 357, 40s&w, 357 Sig.  https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/primer-problem.816057/  See photo.

I would also include 9mm Luger because of the pressure.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top