Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2018 8:57:34 AM EDT
I started reloading my 50 Beowulf brass with a Hornady new dimension 4 die set. I had many issue getting the expander set right and tried reloading rounds without using the expander or the crimp die, so I just use the sizer and the seating dies and have had no issue with these reloaded rounds. Does anyone else just use the sizer and seating dies and skip the others or am I going down the wrong path?
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are having no feeding or chambering problems I see no reason to change.  I always use a crimp die at least to straighten the case but your flare must be very slight to non existent.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as neck tension is fine I can't see the issue.

I would expand slightly, seat without crimping, and crimp in the taper crimp die just enough to close whatever bell you put on the case.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are having no feeding or chambering problems I see no reason to change.  I always use a crimp die at least to straighten the case but your flare must be very slight to non existent.
View Quote
I'm not expanding at all so there is no flare
and the bullet is seating fine and the neck tension appears good.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#4]
If it ain't broke, no need to fix it.

However, I would check for bullet movement chambering or in the magazine under recoil.

You might need a crimp to hold the bullet under those circumstances.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Been down that road.

My Lee .50 Beowulf dies do the same thing, but since I load on a Dillon 550, I have to use a powder drop dies funnel.

I set the funnel up to barely flare (almost unnoticeable)- just enough to actuate the powder measure.

If you don't taper crimp, the bullets WILL move under recoil and you may have one push deeper into the case on re-chambering, which is gonna cause pressure issues.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not expanding at all so there is no flare and the bullet is seating fine and the neck tension appears good.
View Quote
If you are not shaving the bullet, you are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Not shaving the bullet in fact I've had to pull some bullets and they are are not super easy to get out? Maybe the group I will try the crimped. I don't want to cause any pressure issues but I just don't see any movement in the bullets under recoil.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not shaving the bullet in fact I've had to pull some bullets and they are are not super easy to get out? Maybe the group I will try the crimped. I don't want to cause any pressure issues but I just don't see any movement in the bullets under recoil.
View Quote
If you are not shaving the bullet, you do not need to bell the case mouth.

If you are not seeing bullet movement from recoil, I would not crimp.

Besides, crimping is not a substitute for neck tension.  Crimping is done to remove the belling of the case mouth (and maybe impress into the bullet a thousandth of two to help prevent set back.  By itself, crimping will not hold a bullet with inadequate neck tension.

In magnum revolvers, a heavy roll crimp into a cannelure is used to prevent bullet movement during firing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you, I think I'm going to just keep doing what has been working. I really have not seen any type of issue, like I was told don't fix it if it's not broke.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
if using a progressive press you won't save any time by skipping flaring and crimping, they're free steps.  I could see with a single stage press if skipping these steps still makes good ammo then it's worth skipping.

On a progressive if I don't flare the case mouth for straight wall cartriges the bullet will fall off just before seating unless I hold it place all during the upstroke.  Usually my hands are occupied with working the press handle and grabbing another projectile so if I have to hold the bullet in place it would slow down my rate of production
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
if using a progressive press you won't save any time by skipping flaring and crimping, they're free steps.  I could see with a single stage press if skipping these steps still makes good ammo then it's worth skipping.

On a progressive if I don't flare the case mouth for straight wall cartriges the bullet will fall off just before seating unless I hold it place all during the upstroke.  Usually my hands are occupied with working the press handle and grabbing another projectile so if I have to hold the bullet in place it would slow down my rate of production
View Quote
If needed, hold the bullet in place as you pull handle down.  Leave handle down to give powder time to fall into case.  While it's down, grab the next case and the next bullet. Raise the handle.

I understand the personal process and production rate arguments but it's not a race.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#12]
No I use a single stage press and I don't use the powder drop unit, I hand measure each load and funnel it into the brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top