Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2018 11:32:59 AM EDT
Looking for advice/tips. Recently acquired Iver Johnson M2 carbine. Been shooting Privi (PPU) for several hundred rounds, most on full auto. Works good, lotsa fun! Ready to reload on 550. Got Lee carbide die set, Dillon shell plate, 296 powder, 110 fmj.

What to watch for? Lube cases? Measure OAL on each case? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Trim all cases the same.

I would just trim them all the same as the shortest one, assuming the shortest one is within SAAMI specifications.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
.30 carbine is a tapered case, so it needs to be lubed and trimmed. I find that typical flat-base .30 carbine bullets are easier to seat with the case mouth slightly flared using a Lee flaring tool - flare is removed with a Lee taper crimp die as the last operation.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.30 carbine is a tapered case, so it needs to be lubed and trimmed. I find that typical flat-base .30 carbine bullets are easier to seat with the case mouth slightly flared using a Lee flaring tool - flare is removed with a Lee taper crimp die as the last operation.
View Quote
+10

I load 30 Carbine by the thousands and yes, they do need trimming and lubing when resizing even with a Lee carbide die set because the cases are in fact tapered.  I've had good luck with Rainier and Berrys plated 110grn 30 Carbine bullets, however, as with all plated bullets you have to be careful not to over crimp.  Just return the case mouth to straight and you'll be fine.  Over crimping risks cutting the plating.

As to accuracy with them, carbines are 'minute of coffee cup' at best and with a full auto, you ain't doing 'precision shooting anyway. That said, while my GI '43 NPM would produce at best, 3" groups with my best Speer JSP handloads, my shooter is an AO commercial one I bought NIB back in 2012 and it's best group is just under 2" at 100yds with them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top