Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2022 2:17:02 AM EDT
Looking for a progressive set up that won’t brake the bank (at least to bad) any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:55:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 3:21:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dillon 550.
View Quote

100% this.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I own two Dillon 550's and see no reason to upgrade.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a good choice. For me, it is the perfect middle ground between speed and being able to change calibers. I have one set up for small primers and one set up for large. So, I just have to change the shell plate and tool head to load for a different cartridge.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dillon 550.
View Quote

this

the answer is always Dillon
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dillon 550.
View Quote

+1

Used Dillon 550 (B or C preferably).

I bought mine late 80’s or early 90’s, an early B model 550.  It isn’t going anywhere.  

I strongly recommend having a good large single stage and a 550.  You can do it all as far as metallic cartridges until you want a .50 BMG.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's a good choice. For me, it is the perfect middle ground between speed and being able to change calibers. I have one set up for small primers and one set up for large. So, I just have to change the shell plate and tool head to load for a different cartridge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I got a steal on a second that is what I would do.  Skip any primer system changeovers.  That said I am fairly quick with the changeover.   I am slowing down my volume loaded at my age so I feel that I will now skip the second 550b but it has merit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Dillon 550 B, C is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I use an RCBS Rochchucker and a Dillon 650.
At this point I wish I had selected one pistol caliber to progressive load probably .38 but for most of you 9mm
And done the rifle and heavy pistols single stage.  Dillon makes a “Square Deal” pistol cal set up for one pistol caliber. Honestly I could live without a progressive press because I don’t ever trust the powder charge to be exact. Some powders meter much better than others. For heavy rifles a single stage is ideal.  .223 is the only rifle caliber I do on the progressive. It’s much nicer to be able to leave a progressive set for one caliber. I wish I could do that or set up multiple progressive loaders.  Changing the caliber is a pain. Buy a Mitutoyo Caliper to get oal and trim length correct. I do all the case prep before the brass goes into the progressive. I’m sure Looking back that I should have selected only one pistol caliber and two to three rifles
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use an RCBS Rochchucker and a Dillon 650.
At this point I wish I had selected one pistol caliber to progressive load probably .38 but for most of you 9mm
And done the rifle and heavy pistols single stage.  Dillon makes a “Square Deal” pistol cal set up for one pistol caliber. Honestly I could live without a progressive press because I don’t ever trust the powder charge to be exact. Some powders meter much better than others. For heavy rifles a single stage is ideal.  .223 is the only rifle caliber I do on the progressive. It’s much nicer to be able to leave a progressive set for one caliber. I wish I could do that or set up multiple progressive loaders.  Changing the caliber is a pain. Buy a Mitutoyo Caliper to get oal and trim length correct. I do all the case prep before the brass goes into the progressive. I’m sure Looking back that I should have selected only one pistol caliber and two to three rifles
View Quote

I am a devotee of stick powders but if I am using a water smooth flowing ball powder at a safe distance from a max or a precursor indication I will happily used the progressive.  I never really got perfection with average size stick kernals.  I polished my Meaures but it only helped some.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top