Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2018 9:40:45 AM EDT
Hi guys, any thought on reloading 5.56? The cost associated with it (e.g. Investments on machines)? Also what are good primers, powder, and Bullets or ways to get bullets?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
We have a dedicated reloading forum in the armory section.  Lots of good info.

Someone will be along shortly to move this thread there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#2]
$30/1000 primers. $120ish for 4 lb of powder. $60/1000 lc brass and $90/1000 bullets. Take the brass off after first firing. Depends on how much you shoot. Goin prices of $300/1k is hard to beat
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Right now in todays market  you will do better by selling your once fired brass on the EE and applying that $ to another case of 556 ammo.  To realize a substantial  value/savings your reloads could/should be with higher end ammo. Ammo retailing at 1$ or more is easily recouped by reloading.  Bottom line blasting ammo is pretty cheap right now.  As far as brass value it depends on availability and brand desirability.  Oh, and each time you reload/shoot the brass it's value is reduced by 50%, until it becomes a scrap value.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Components is just on cost factor that is reaccuring.

The initial cost, space and time needed to reload is the hurdal.

Speed cost.

The press you chose and all associated equipment can cost many thousands of factory loaded ammunition.

You maybe better served just buying if you only after plinking and don't have the time, space and upfront money's.

There is also a learning curve, work up ladder loads and trips to the range to find the load that works for your firearm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#5]
To get started on reloading your equipment outlay will be around $400-500 for a single stage and everything you need purchased new. Loading on a single stage is the slowest method but also the cheapest to get started.

Component cost can vary. My .223/5.56 loads cost me $.28 plus brass each but that's with a premium 75 gr match bullet. It can be done cheaper but loading on a single stage is slow so I am not wasting my time on blasting ammo.

Best thing you can do is buy a reloading manual and read it. The how to sections in them explain everything and show the tools needed and steps involved. After reading one you can determine if its a hobby your still interested in or not.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#6]
My M193 load costs:

55gr FMJ:  5 cents each
CCI Primer: 3.5 cents
Powder: $27/1lb which equals 8.8 cents per round.
Brass: Free (if you’re not hustling your friends for their brass or finding range brass that’s pristine, you aren’t saving as much)

My time is free.

If you can find excellent quality brass ammo for less than 18 cents a round, go for it.

My match and hunting ammo saves a lot more

Bullet: 77gr Tipped Match King (buy in bulk when on sale: 27 cents each
Powder: 9.7 cents per charge
Primer: CCI BR4 = 5.5 cents
Brass: LC once fired or Hornady:  Free (see above)

42.2 cents versus Black Hills factory 77gr TMK $1.18/round
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#7]
The first thing you'll discover is:

1. You won't save money. Because you have the equipment and have invested your time, you will continue to purchase components, upgrade equipment and otherwise find ways to feed this new venture.

2. That if you're going to spend time reloading, FMJ's won't be purchased very often. Match grade ammo using premium bullets only cost 5 to 10 cents more per round. You will be able to shoot ammo equal to, or better than Federal Gold Medal Match for less than what you currently pay for surplus M193.

Buy in bulk when the best supplies are on sale. I purchased a 6000 bullet crate of Hornady 52 grain match bullets for $480 plus shipping two years ago. That works out to only 1 cent more than Hornady's 55 grain FMJ's when purchased in bulk.

If your going to buy cheap bullets buy Hornady 6000 bullet 55 grain FMJ's or SP's. They are the only cheap bullets guaranteed to work. FMJ's, as a rule, are usually junk.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Reloading has turned into a full blown hobby for my brother and me.

We still don't reload "blasting" 5.56/223 it just isn't worth the time.

If you shoot a lot (10-15k a year) and invested in a dillon 650 or a hornady ammo plant with casefeeder & a fast trimmer  then maybe.

You would also have to buy components in large quantity's.

Quality 5.56 / 223 different story that is totally worth the time /allows you to shoot more for the same money.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Reload for accuracy or a better hunting round or if you shoot a ton.
Any other reason, it will cost you for a new hobby.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Check the stickies at the top of the reloading sub forum. They have lots of information about tools required.

Get a book. ABCs of reloading is highly recommended.

As far as 556 goes, reloading it now is hard to save good money. But it can be done. Buying in bulk is the answer.

Primers- $.03 CPR
If you can get them for under $.03 each shipped, that is a good deal. Sometimes you can get them to the door for less than $.025 if you get a deal on shipping or a good sale (combine with your powder order to save a little more). Small rifle primers are sufficient. No need for magnum or "AR" style primers from the get go.

Powder- $.075 CPR
If you were to say order enough powder to load a 6000 lot of bullets (Like I will state below) you would need about 24lb of H335 powder (best to round up to the nearest 8lb, saves money). 7000 grains per pound at 24.5 grains per round (My H335 blasting ammo load for 223, BE SURE TO WORK UP YOUR LOAD, DO NOT TRUST RANDOM PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET)

Bullets- $.068 CPR
Bulk pack of 6000 hornady FMJBT from brownells or midway or whatever vender has the best coupon code or sale at the time. Right now, I calculated it at $.068 CPR for what I could find.

Brass- Free.
This should be free. If you go to a local range and hang out and shoot for a couple hours, you should be able to leave with about 2-300 pieces if your range allows you to take other peoples brass (Ask the shooter first). If you feel the need to purchase brass, look on the EE.

Total $.173 CPR.
Factory blasting ammo is running around $.25 to $.30 right now. You will save about $.10 per shot reloading.

Your equipment will be about $400 to get started. The components I just mentioned will be about $1000 (for the 6000) and your time.

Which means, that after that initial 6000, you will have just paid off your tools with your savings and will be back in the green.

How much do you shoot?
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Isn't really worth it right now if you're just getting started

If you want a new hobby, go for it
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#12]
All above are valid comments.

The equipment becomes a long time investment and it will pay for it down the road...

I've been reloading since 1983 and it took me almost 5 years to recover my cost back than..

I shot service rifle a lot with an m1 garand and than ar15.

I'm down to the end of the cheap bullets I purchased back in the late 80's early 90's.. I have made it through the ammo shortages with no issues.

Something else you want to think about..

You stock up you can still shoot when people are paying 4-10x the amount due to demand and supply and they can't find ammo during the next democrap elected to office.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:51:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hi guys, any thought on reloading 5.56?
View Quote
Who is reloading 5.56?  All of the published data I'm familiar with is for 223 Remington.

The cost associated with it (e.g. Investments on machines)? Also what are good primers, powder, and Bullets or ways to get bullets?
View Quote
If you're thinking about reloading 223 Remington as a way to save money, then make sure you understand that you will be trading you time at an hourly rate less than what children chained to sewing machines in Bangladesh garment factories are making.

* If you need unparalleled accuracy, you need to reload.
* If you need a cartridge with a bullet weight and a velocity not found in published manuals, you need to reload.
* If you believe the government is going to ban AR-15 ammunition, then you need to stockpile components and reload.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:55:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Who is reloading 5.56?  All of the published data I'm familiar with is for 223 Remington.

The cost associated with it (e.g. Investments on machines)? Also what are good primers, powder, and Bullets or ways to get bullets?
View Quote
If you're thinking about reloading 223 Remington as a way to save money, then make sure you understand that you will be trading you time at an hourly rate less than what children chained to sewing machines in Bangladesh garment factories are making.

* If you need a cartridge with a bullet weight and a velocity not found in published manuals, you need to reload.
* If you believe the government is going to ban AR-15 ammunition, then you need to stockpile components and reload.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I reload general .223 ammo.   Right now, with new bullets, it's costing around 17¢ per round.  If I use my stash of cheap 55 grain bullets, that drops to 11¢.  308 is running me around 40¢.

I have been reloading since the late 80s, I have built up my collection of tools over time.  I upgrade my stuff as needed.  Right now, the cost savings are there, but if you have to buy equipment, that goes away.

I use reloading as a hobby, and to load things that aren't common, like sub sonic 9mm.

Your milage will vary.

Jason
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Right now most wholesalers have excellent pricing on the standard 55gr FMJ 223 load.  Not of course like the days when Galyans had Win 3131A for like $150 a case!  or Sportsmans Guide and SA surplus at 11 cents a round in 2700 cases.

I will always view reloading as an extension of my shooting hobby.  And, most people always try to turn it into a cost thing.....  which IMHO is irrelevant. After all it is a hobby!  Just like wrenching on 57 Chevy, water skiing, or fishing. Hunting deer!  Ever think that for the most part venison is some of the most expensive meat you will ever eat for most people.  If you want to play that game so to speak. Gas, Wear and Tear on Vehicle, Time off from Work, Meat Processing Costs, cost of a freezer to store said meat, land access etc.  But for most it is about being outside,  passing down family stories, and commoradarie of being in hunting camp.  Those things you do not buy.

Reloading allows you to tune loads to your needs.  Exceed accuracy of factory ammo.  Lower your cost per round.  Or just plain enjoy the process of reloading ammo as hobby!
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Ramshot has published data for 5.56
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I reload to 556 data in TAC
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many powder mfg and bullet mfg have 5.56 load data.

I use Barnes TSX bullets for HD and hunting.  Barnes has 5.56 NATO load data.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's my story:

In 2012 I bought Hornady LnL AP press along with accessories to load .223/5.56*45.

Bought enough components to load 6,000 rounds of .223/5.56*45.

Picked up enough once fired LC brass at local range to make 6,000 rounds.

Total cost of investment: about $1,800.

Took two weeks to load those 6,000 rounds.

At the time, Federal XM193 was selling for $300/1,000.

So I 'broke even' the first two weeks.

As far as what my time is worth, if I wasn't reloading or shooting I would be sitting in front of TV

getting fat and old.

Now, I collect enough brass at local range to cover ALL costs of loading 15,000-20,000 rounds of ammo a year.

Last year, collected nearly 2,700 pounds of brass.

So yes, for me it is worth it to load every caliber I shoot because in the end, it costs me nothing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#22]
@tluu20

If you're wanting to reload for cost savings now might be the time to buy cheap/used equipment and components in the EE/online.

Just slowly stockpile stuff on sale or wait for good deals on used presses etc.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Reloading-Supplies/114/
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#23]
AA powder reloading site will tell you everything you need to know about reloading 5.56 pressured rounds.

And like Dano said if you want cheap bullets that shoot good use hornady's, just as cheap as the cheapo's, except Hornadys shoot groups instead of patterns.

If you want to pound the heck out of out your rifle more power to you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.56 data is very easy to find from a number of powder manufacturers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#25]
For the heavy bullets I shoot, the slightly higher velocities in the 5.56 NATO regime, gave worse accuracy and greater variation in POI with small changes in powder charge.  None of those characteristics were desirable to me.

The NATO velocities were only about 100-150 fps higher than 223, so what's the big deal?  Develop a safe, accurate load.

I ended up using a load based on accuracy and consistency that is solidly inside the 223 Rem range.  <-- my 223 load is better than your NATO load.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For the heavy bullets I shoot, the slightly higher velocities in the 5.56 NATO regime, gave worse accuracy and greater variation in POI with small changes in powder charge.  None of those characteristics were desirable to me.

The NATO velocities were only about 100-150 fps higher than 223, so what's the big deal?  Develop a safe, accurate load.

I ended up using a load based on accuracy and consistency that is solidly inside the 223 Rem range.  <-- my 223 load is better than your NATO load.  
View Quote
I generally agree that 5.56 pressure is generally not worth loading specially for.  But I have an exception.  I hunt with Barnes 62 grain and 70 grain TSX bullets loaded to 5.56 pressure.  These premium bullets are expensive.  But, hunting is usually "one shot from a cold barrel" shooting.

150 fps difference significantly increases retained energy and lets me stretch effective range a little bit and still have sufficient energy for effective terminal ballistics.  When shooting deer sized animals with a .223 bullet, a little extra velocity and energy is helpful out beyond 100 yards where both start falling off with an AR.  The bullets need velocity to reliably open.  And the Barnes bullets like the higher velocity, shooting consistently right at 1 MOA.  For a solid copper hollow point expanding bullet design, they are quite accurate when driven at maximum velocity.

For HD is simply does not matter at living room distances.  Definitely does not matter for plinking or typical range use.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:13:57 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Along these lines you must regard reloading as another hobby that supports an existing hobby.  It's like the relationship between fly fishing and tying your own flies on a fixture.  If you don't then it's a troublesone chore taking time you'd rather be doing something else with. Ask some folks around here and you think they took up shooting to supply  empty brass for their reloading hobby
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#29]
“...like the days when Galyans had Win 3131A for like $150 a case! or Sportsmans Guide and SA surplus at 11 cents a round in 2700 cases.”

Man, I miss those days. About the time my SA ran out I found Q3131A for $1.28/20rd box at a Bass pro sale. That was the last of those great deals. Now, loading good ammo can save a significant % over buying factory. Loading blasting ammo, not as much. I tend to buy 55gr ammo on sale and later sell the brass to recoup $0.05-$0.06/rd. Loading with $$ Barnes or Hornady bullets for hunting is another animal.

This will help:

Making Ammo: A Beginner's Guide to Handloading https://www.amazon.com/dp/0794842577/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Jsm-AbRJG8VYE
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
I reload during my free time, meaning I'm not getting paid. I don't understand this argument.

That being said, it's worth it to learn the skill of reloading, and to build up some components. That way when the next round of ammunition shortages happen, you will have the ability and the materials to keep shooting.

Buy in bulk on bullets, primers and powder, and pick up brass.

Invest in good equipment. Your budget will dictate what you choose. In my opinion, the Lee Classic Turret is the way to go if you want to load 200-300 rounds per week, any more look to a Dillon setup.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good to know.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:31:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Along these lines you must regard reloading as another hobby that supports an existing hobby.  It's like the relationship between fly fishing and tying your own flies on a fixture.  If you don't then it's a troublesone chore taking time you'd rather be doing something else with. Ask some folks around here and you think they took up shooting to supply  empty brass for their reloading hobby
View Quote
And I am one of them.  After 40+ years, it has become a matter of pride with me that I have bought fewer than 250 rounds of factory ammunition.  I always buy a box of factory ammunition when I get a new gun and use it first in case there is a problem.  I don't want the manufacturer (or their attorney if it is a really bad problem) to blame my reloads.  After the first magazine or two, I switch to my own product exclusively.

I like to say that I shoot to support my reloading habit.

Still, if someone were to include the value of their time they would immediately see it just doesn't make economic sense to reload.  Before I retired, I computed that if I charged my time to the reloads at my standard billing rate, each box of 50 9mm or 38 Special reloads would "cost" about $125.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:33:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't understand this argument.
View Quote
Neither do I.  I don't work 24 hours/day.  I work with the goal of having free time to use as I see fit.

Reloading is fun.  Reloading is a hobby I do in my free time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top