Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2020 3:26:44 AM EDT
I have had a license for a number of cycles. Never used it and only kept it when I felt I might get a SBR.
Never bought into that and got busy with CCW. I moved in this cycle, was very busy with life change
and didn’t realize I had not done an address change.
Want to give it up now, never used it to purchase anything in the land of FOID. What do I have to do
to give it up. There’s an empty book because of no activity. Any purchases over the years have been through FFL and my FOID.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have had a license for a number of cycles. Never used it and only kept it when I felt I might get a SBR.
Never bought into that and got busy with CCW. I moved in this cycle, was very busy with life change
and didn’t realize I had not done an address change.
Want to give it up now, never used it to purchase anything in the land of FOID. What do I have to do
to give it up. There’s an empty book because of no activity. Any purchases over the years have been through FFL and my FOID.

Thanks
View Quote
This may be a silly question, but what kind of license for your cycles?

Driver's license, license plates?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This may be a silly question, but what kind of license for your cycles?

Driver's license, license plates?
View Quote
Well, this is the C&R forum, so I figure it's a C&R FFL.

You don't have to do anything under federal law, just throw it away.  The C&R FFL bound book doesn't have to be sent to ATF, even with 1000 entries, just toss it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well, this is the C&R forum, so I figure it's a C&R FFL.

You don't have to do anything under federal law, just throw it away.  The C&R FFL bound book doesn't have to be sent to ATF, even with 1000 entries, just toss it.
View Quote
27 CFR 478.129(e) - https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=a9364ebec44ba755954d34671462e79a&mc=true&node=se27.3.478_1129&rgn=div8

(e) Records of dealers and collectors under the Act. The records prepared by licensed dealers and licensed collectors under the Act of the sale or other disposition of firearms and the corresponding record of receipt of such firearms shall be retained through December 15, 1988, after which records of transactions over 20 years of age may be discarded.

Even if you give up your license, any records prepared while you were a licensed collector regarding the sale or other disposition of firearms must be retained for 20 years.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]
When my regular FFL expired, the gov send me a couple letters requesting my bound book.  I didn't make a single sale because of the California regulations fuck fuck, so I had no bound book.

They eventually stopped.  My expired FFL hangs on my safe.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all. I moved from the country with a small police department to a neighborhood with a Sheriff as cleo. With anti gun politics carrying sway in Lake County Illinois I felt giving it up was the prudent thing to do.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
"I have had a license for a number of cycles. Never used it and only kept it when I felt I might get a SBR."

How is this affected by an FFL 03?

"With anti gun politics carrying sway in Lake County Illinois I felt giving it up was the prudent thing to do"

And this sounds like losing to me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:42:42 AM EDT
[#8]
The only NFA item we can acquire is a short barrel rifle. In Illinois, on top of everything else, one needs a C/R  license to own one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The only NFA item we can acquire is a short barrel rifle. In Illinois, on top of everything else, one needs a C/R  license to own one.
View Quote
And out SBRs can’t be <26”. Which kills a lot of choices.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that's dumb. Can it be any SBR or does it have to be C&R eligible?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#11]
It does not need to be a c/r rifle shortened. A MSR that fits the legal description.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

27 CFR 478.129(e) - https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=a9364ebec44ba755954d34671462e79a&mc=true&node=se27.3.478_1129&rgn=div8

(e) Records of dealers and collectors under the Act. The records prepared by licensed dealers and licensed collectors under the Act of the sale or other disposition of firearms and the corresponding record of receipt of such firearms shall be retained through December 15, 1988, after which records of transactions over 20 years of age may be discarded.

Even if you give up your license, any records prepared while you were a licensed collector regarding the sale or other disposition of firearms must be retained for 20 years.
View Quote
If you are an active licensee, you need to keep your records for 20 years. Once you give up your license, there are no recordkeeping requirements.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#13]
No, Licensed collectors are not required to turn in records after giving up license.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-licensed-collectors-required-turn-their-acquisition-and-disposition-records-atf-if

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top