Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2021 7:48:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: As always, Arfcom comes through with good ideas. It never crossed my mind just to strip down the lower and keep it for a rainy day. I've stripped down the upper and lower and started to sell off the parts.

Built this 300blk build awhile back, and I've got to admit...I'm not loving it. I've more or less made up my mind to sell it, but I'm debating how to sell it.

1. Consignment to local FFL. Probably the easiest route, with a 15% fee.
2. Separate lower from upper, deregister from NFA, and sell them separately once ATF confirms the lower is removed from registry
3. Put it on a form 3, and sell it.
4. ??? Something I might've not thought of.

Out of those options, which would be the least PITA for both any potential buyers, and myself?

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Build or buy an upper that you like/want and keep the SBR'd lower.  Sell the upper.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Never sold a gun and not regret it.  OP, fuck with it until you love it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Build or buy an upper that you like/want and keep the SBR'd lower.  Sell the upper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's what I'd do.

Quoted:
2. Separate lower from upper, deregister from NFA, and sell them separately once ATF confirms the lower is removed from registry
You don't have to wait.

Just transfer it as a Title I firearm whenever you're ready to sell it that way.

Sending ATF a letter afterwards is helpful in the event a subsequent owner registers it as a SBR again later.
It will never actually be removed from the NFRTR (registry). They'll just annotate any info you send them.

To sell it as a Title II SBR, you wouldn't "put it on a Form 3".
You'd either transfer it in-state on Form 4 directly to the buyer, or transfer it on Form 4 to an out-of-state buyer's FFL.

You could F4 it to an in-state FFL/SOT, who could then F3 it to an SOT in another state, and finally F4 to the buyer, but that's silly.

Out of those options, which would be the least PITA for both any potential buyers, and myself?
Sell the upper, and keep the lower forever.
Obtain many short uppers for it and enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
You’re going to lose a lot of money.

Sell the upper and put the lower in the back of the safe, forget about it until you want another SBR.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Part it out and use the lower to build the SBR you want.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Guns are commodities.   Don’t feel bad about selling one.  So there’s that.  

Don’t sell the lower.  You’ve already jumped the hoops and paid the tax.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Guns are commodities.   Don’t feel bad about selling one.  So there’s that.  

Don’t sell the lower.  You’ve already jumped the hoops and paid the tax.
View Quote

Yup all this

You might like like it more if you get rid of that terrible stock and make it a caliber you can afford to shoot too
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like it would be easier to learn to love the gun.

Why no likee, OP?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why no likee, OP?
View Quote

1. Cost of ammo, specifically 300blk subsonic.

2. I originally just wanted to build a fun "gucci" gun, but now that it's built up, it just sits in the safe, and I feel like it'd be better spent on something else.

Given how short I went with the handguard (and Bootleg no longer makes them iirc), it'd probably be a continuous $$ sink trying to find another caliber.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

2. I originally just wanted to build a fun "gucci" gun, but now that it's built up, it just sits in the safe, and I feel like it'd be better spent on something else.

Given how short I went with the handguard (and Bootleg no longer makes them iirc), it'd probably be a continuous $$ sink trying to find another caliber.
View Quote

Just sell the complete upper. Buy another one in 5.56 or whatever caliber you have more of.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Just sell the barrel
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#14]
agree, sell the barrel and get something you have plenty of.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Its a 300bs.  Swap it to a 556 barrel.  If you want to. Notify the atf of the caliber change and sell the 300 barrel.  Or use the 300 barrel as a breaker bar in your garage.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#16]
another vote for buy a new upper and keep the lower. Also what stock is that? That would look sweet on a space force lower.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#17]
with all the options out there, turn it into something you would like. Will it cost you, sure. But it's just money.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
another vote for buy a new upper and keep the lower. Also what stock is that? That would look sweet on a space force lower.
View Quote

Maxim Defense CQB. Looks cool, but heavy af. It's one of the more comfortable collapsible stocks that I've used. (Worst being the Q/Noveske N4 c-stock)
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why no likee, OP?

Your last paragraph isn’t really making sense.  What does current handguard length have to do with the cost of rebarreling the gun into a different caliber?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Your last paragraph isn't really making sense.  What does current handguard length have to do with the cost of rebarreling the gun into a different caliber?
View Quote

Good Question

I'm OCD about how much my barrels stick out of the handguards. Nothing more than an aesthetic choice. Say I do go with 556, I'd go no shorter than 10.5, which means I'd have to source a 9-10" Piclok handguard and then cerakote it to match the rest of the gun. Believe me, I totally understand it sound stupid, but it's my one gun that I built for "looks" before actual functionality.

I have other guns like my LMT that are my "practical" setups that get used all the time.

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Good Question

I'm OCD about how much my barrels stick out of the handguards. Nothing more than an aesthetic choice. Say I do go with 556, I'd go no shorter than 10.5, which means I'd have to source a 9-10" Piclok handguard and then cerakote it to match the rest of the gun. Believe me, I totally understand it sound stupid, but it's my one gun that I built for "looks" before actual functionality.

I have other guns like my LMT that are my "practical" setups that get used all the time.
https://i.imgur.com/aiVSyfQl.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your last paragraph isn't really making sense.  What does current handguard length have to do with the cost of rebarreling the gun into a different caliber?

Good Question

https://i.imgur.com/aiVSyfQl.jpg

I mean, I get that, but why does it have to be what sounds like an unattainable (or at least hard to find) Piclok handguard?  If you’re refinishing it anyway, just choose something else you like.

I think you’ll end up losing way more money trying to sell it than you’d spend just updating it into something you’ll actually use.

Or throw some money at a reloading setup and .300BLK subs become cheaper and easier to find.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#22]
It looks great except for that grip.... what barrel is that?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 12:42:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Sell every last piece except the stripped lower. Put the stripped lower into your safe until you decide a path forward.

What caliber(s) & length did you list on the F1?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:49:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Once you Form 1 something, you're kinda stuck with it IMHO. Maybe not so much for something hard to find, but an AR lower isn't exactly rare. Unless somebody wants that exact configuration and doesn't want to build it themselves,  you're going to lose quite a bit of money.

Going the Form 4 route means months and months of waiting. If I was a buyer, I'd be interested in the upper and I'd build and SBR my own lower on an efile Form 1. I wouldn't want to wait the better part of a year for a Form 4.

You could sell the upper and lower separately but you'd have to find someone who doesn't mind your engraving. And if they wanted to Form 1 the lower again,  now there's 2 engravings on there.

I agree with the folks saying keep the lower. You've already paid for the stamp and you can use any upper you want. Sell the 300blk upper and get something you want.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:53:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Personally, id just keep the sbr lower and of you want, build a different upper.  Maybe a 556 sbr, or something else (16"+) and just use the lower.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 3:47:55 AM EDT
[#27]
buy a RCBS rock chucker or other reloading setup

learn to reload  ;)
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm in for the barrel replacement and notify ATF of cal. change. All my SBRs are going in my coffin with me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Sell everything but the lower and park it back in the safe. One day it'll be a nice start to a new project.

Been there done that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why no likee, OP?

Build a 7" 22lr upper for it and have fun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sell everything but the lower and park it back in the safe. One day it'll be a nice start to a new project.

Been there done that.
View Quote

This pretty much sums it up.

Never regerts!

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Build a 7" 22lr upper for it and have fun.
View Quote

No, build a 4.5" suppressed 22lr upper and have even more fun

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#33]
.22 suppressed SBR gets my vote. Why lose the money when you could have a cool plinker?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Built this 300blk build awhile back, and I've got to admit...I'm not loving it. I've more or less made up my mind to sell it, but I'm debating how to sell it.

https://i.imgur.com/jpuuG0Dh.jpg

View Quote

Sell the upper.  If you want to strip it, sell the stock and other lower parts.  I'd keep the lower as is.  Put the lower in your safe for later.  It's not worth selling a SBR AR lower IMO.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No, build a 4.5" suppressed 22lr upper and have even more fun

https://i.imgur.com/oLUKkOv.jpg
View Quote

That’s super cool. Now I want. lol.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
buy a RCBS rock chucker or other reloading setup

learn to reload  ;)
View Quote

Yup, reloading really cuts down on the price. Especially if you cast your own bullets. I think I'm at about .10/rd

I agree with at least hanging on to the stripped lower. Already spent the time and money.. You never know what you're going to like 10 years from now. I had a stock k10/22 which just sat in the safe. Recently I have redone almost everything on it except the reciever and am enjoying it again.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Not the best pic, but my son built a 4.5" suppressed .22LR SBR with folding stock.  It uses S&W MP15-22 mags.
It's sweet!
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why not just rebarrel it into a caliber you prefer?
It’s a good looking build.
View Quote

This is the correct response.

Jay
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:45:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I agree with what everyone is saying.  I have a grey receiver set and it looks great with a black handguard.  I’d piece out the barrel, stock and handguard and like others have said, go with a 7” handguard, new stock (I went with a sig minimalist) and 4.5” Cmmg or similar 22lr barrel.  So much fun, cheap to shoot and bad ass as a sbr.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the reason I ditched 300blk for my SBR.

Changed the barrel to 7.62x39, swapped in a 7.62 boltface, and bought 4 mags. Now I have a 30cal AR that is still cheap to shoot and there are also sub offerings available. https://www.k-var.com/ammo-brown-bear-762x39-196gr-fmj-500-rounds
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Sell the upper or go with .22LR

.300blk is awesome, but it is not cheap to shoot unless you reload.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I’d rebarrel it. Maybe a .22 or .556. If the short handguard is the issue just get a longer version and put a black stock on.
Or throw a brace on it deregister it and sell as a pistol.
I’d be shocked if someone bought that as a SBR. It really limits your audience and it’s not a average build.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#44]
looks awesome, put a new barrel on it and enjoy.

Never understood the let me throw away time and money on forming a lower so I can get back $80 (maybe $80) on a used lower.  If $80 is going to change your life, you need to stop playing with NFA stuff and get busy making more money.

If you are pressed for space, strip it down to lower and upper since they are color matched and throw it in back of safe and forget about it for now.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#45]
You could put a CMMG 9mm RDB upper on it. It’s a fairly cheap way to have subsonic fun with a bit more thump than a .22.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/jpuuG0Dh.jpg

View Quote

What did you end up doing?
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What did you end up doing?
View Quote

Parted it out fir the most part. Keeping the lower in the safe as advised, and selling the rest. IIRC, the upper and small parts are still left over.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#48]
sell the upper and build another SBR upper that you want. dont waste that $200
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I reload, so my costs are a pittance compared to commercial ammo.  Right now I'm loading 300 BLK for .67 a round (including the cost for brass) and it's that much only because I'm using Hornady 225 grain ELD-Match bullets ($51.99 per 100).

Brass is cheap because I buy once-fired 223 brass ($80 for 1,000 cases) and make my 300 brass from it.  I don't get why 300 brass is so damned expensive, it's literally 223, just shorter with a bigger hole in it.  Supply and demand I guess.

For the cost of a whole new upper, you could get a reloading kit and the little $39 Harbor Freight saw and a Squirrel Daddy jig for cutting 223/5.56 cases down to make 300 brass and load it for cheap.  But I get it, not everyone wants to get into reloading.  It is a viable option though if ammo costs keep you from enjoying a certain caliber.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Necro-post:

I always mark the barrel vs receiver, as per AFT regs for Form 1s, for this reason, at least with ARs.

Me—i would do what others said & change caliber.  My SBRs are .22LR & 5.56.  I just took a 9mm P 10.5” SBR out of the registry buy putting a 16” barrel, notifying AFT & selling it as a 9mm 16” AR carbine.  Yes, i lost money on the barrel, but since it wasn’t chrome lined & i cropped it myself…meh.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top