Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2021 9:41:00 PM EDT
Is it worth increasing the OD on a reflex can to 2” and having more reflex over the barrel. Does increasing the section over the barrel from 3” to 6” and going from an OD of 1.5” to 2” create anymore sound suppression? I understand there is more volume to be filled but not sure if enough to make difference. Before I go this Form1 route and spend the time machining this out I want to know if it’s worth it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Reflex volume isn't guaranteed suppression. Your plans aren't going to produce magical results. Focus on the muzzle forward design and let the reflex turn into whatever may come.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
So I’ve finalized my design. I’ve let the reflex be what it is and the forward design is where I focused. My forward design is at 3.4 inches. Compared to the spikes tactical reflex can, the forward design leaves 6” in-front of can. Do you think with 4.8” of reflex, 1.75” of blast chamber, and 3.4” of baffles be a successful design? I’m right at 9.95” on total can length.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
. Focus on the muzzle forward design and let the reflex turn into whatever may come.
View Quote

Tagging to see comment above. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#4]
A 6" muzzle forward design is a good start.

What are you planning to use for the reflex mount?
Baffle geometry?
Baffle count and layout?
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Would love to see some pictures OP.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Would love to see some pictures OP.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Body is titanium grade 3
The collar, barrel attachment point, k baffle will be made of a type of steel I’ve got on scrap rack. The taper where the barrel initially inserts into the can will have a taper that will match my spikes tactical collar. The excess reflex is to take advantage of barrel available on my 16” barrel with midlength gas system.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have an expansion section over a front baffle stack tube as well as the aft reflex section you optimize expansion flow into both spaces before the bullet and the main gas column uncorks (I think that was a Bell Laboratories patent).  

Practically it works extremely well but I think you need a six inch baffle stack for timing.  Once the bullet uncorks from the end the gases collected in both fore and aft sections need to bleed out -- in the suppressors my unit had they tended to really gunk up the uppers on 11.5 M16A1 Commandos but were very efficient.  A partner of mine blew out a muzzle cap and shot half his baffles away, and it was immediately noticeable.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you have an expansion section over a front baffle stack tube as well as the aft reflex section you optimize expansion flow into both spaces before the bullet and the main gas column uncorks (I think that was a Bell Laboratories patent).  

Practically it works extremely well but I think you need a six inch baffle stack for timing.  Once the bullet uncorks from the end the gases collected in both fore and aft sections need to bleed out -- in the suppressors my unit had they tended to really gunk up the uppers on 11.5 M16A1 Commandos but were very efficient.  A partner of mine blew out a muzzle cap and shot half his baffles away, and it was immediately noticeable.
View Quote

I was thinking about how once the bullet exits barrel, pressure expands and fills the open void in reflex and then the area past the K baffle. The pressure would still be high and as the bullet passes through the baffles, the pressure would be too high to allow for the expansion flow that I want (I think). The pressure needs a place to go. Would it work to leave some sort of vent out the back? A way to bleed it out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know.  It was a feature on the Sionics silencers in the 70s (a free expansion chamber with relief valve before slowing down in spiral diffusers).  

The aft space is one expansion area, a forward space telescoped around the baffle stack another, then the baffle stack a third.

Gas pressure in the entire system drops dramatically once the bullet clears and un-corks.

Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:42:45 AM EDT
[#12]
What you're building would be considered a reflex w/ a coaxial stack.
I doubt it's going to work as you plan, right from the go. These types of designs take a good amount of testing and tuning.
Your flat faced baffles (if you drew them accurately) are going to hinder your design. Even patents from the turn of the 20th century had profiled baffles. They'll work, but at an extreme cost to overall performance & efficiency.

Your design is very reminiscent of '70's and '80's tech.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah the core baffle stack isn’t accurately drawn. It doesn’t include spacers or anything. What are you’re thoughts on a improved design? Cone baffles?
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I’m also looking for better way to secure the item labeled 1 in the drawing. I was thinking drill through outer part and a little into the disk and tap a roll pin into it. I am worried that as it is heated and cooled that roll pin will break. Springs don’t work good after being annealed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top