Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2021 9:37:28 PM EDT
Hello All,

I am putting together a tool head for my Dillon XL650 for realoding .45ACP.

I always use a Redding Carbide FL Resizing Die in my first station.

In my 4th station I typically use the Redding Competition Seater Die.  However, while putting together the list of items to buy, I came across Redding Bullet Seating Micrometer, which threads into a standard Redding Pro Series Seater Die 45 ACP.  The Competition Seating die is $102.99, while the Pro Series Seater and micrometer add on are only $71.98.

I plan to use standard 230gr FMJ RN bullets. Just trying to figure out if the extra money for the "competition" seating die is worth it.  I do have a Mr Bullet Feeder, I know the Competition Seating die  states that it helps to "align" the bullet, though I thought all seating die's basically did this.

In my 5th station, I typically just use the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die

Thanks!

-Masta

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
the redding comp has a bushing sleeve that aligns the bullet BEFORE any pressure is put on it into the brass, so it is kept in better alignment during the entire seating process.

Whether that matters to you or your ammo I dont know.  I just use standard Dillon dies for seating pistol bullets.... as I only make practice ammo, and not shooting accuracy competitions.

For my rifle ammo, I always always always use the Redding Competition seaters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
For my 45 acp I use Redding comp resized/deprimer in 1st, DILLON powder charge In 2nd, Redding comp seater in 3rd, and Greatest die ever made Lee factory carbide crimp die in 4th. Can’t see ever changing this set up. Redding comp dies are the finest out there. Consistent and accurate. Takes some time getting set up, but after that it’s just pull the handle.  Cost is a little more but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking about getting just the micrometer stems, but couldn't find anywhere that listed thread pitch/diameter, so instead just got the competition seater.

They work absolutely great on my 750 and 9mm and .45 tool heads. I bought them because the tedious nature of trying to set to a certain OAL always bugged me. Now it's measure the first one, adjust, and you're good to go. I love them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to leg work to cross reference the Redding Mircometer Seater Plugs
You down load their catalog look for the regular die sets and the parts across the listing shows seater plug #.
Then find the listing of the Bullet Seating Micrometers and look to see if there is one available.  Handgun ones would be Flat ones
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top