Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2021 12:51:32 PM EDT
Just bought a new TRS-25 red dot for my Charles Daly N4S. First range trip, it stopped working. Guess it can't handle the recoil. It was fine on my 22 pistol.

Anyway, what red dots, sub $100 if possible, should I look at that can handle the recoil?

This Truglo any good?
https://www.amazon.com/TRUGLO-30mm-Dual-Color-Dot-Sight/dp/B001EYFK1U/?tag=orignal-shotgunreddots-20&th=1
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Sub $100?

Do yourself a favor. Put some irons on it and save up for something reliable.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sub $100?

Do yourself a favor. Put some irons on it and save up for something reliable.
View Quote

Irons are on it. So no suggestions? Have a good day!
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm surprised the TRS failed.
These have a great reputation and thousands of good comments on Amazon, including people using them on slug guns.
If it's still under warranty contact Bushnell for repair or replacement.

For sub-$100 the TRS is the best.
The next step up in quality is in the $150 to $200 range, with the SPARC II having the best reputation.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
These have a great reputation and thousands of good comments on Amazon, including people using them on slug guns.

The next step up in quality is in the $150 to $200 range, with the SPARC II having the best reputation.
View Quote

I received ti this week. Put it on my gun & went to the range yesterday. I actually bought 2 & put the other my M&P15-22 pistol. That one performed great. The one on the N4S took a dump. Being returned to Amazon. I'll stick w/the irons until I find another red dot
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Am considering a leapers. Am planning on keeping original flip up sites.
https://leapers.com/index.php?act=prod_detail&midx=2368&allids=2364_2368&itemno=SCP-LS289S

Don't get a Sig Romeo. Mine went to shit after 2 years. Having a bitch of a time to get it RMA'd. Take a look at swamp fox. Not under $100 but good company to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Irons are on it. So no suggestions? Have a good day!
View Quote

I gave you a very good suggestion. Just because it's not what you wanted to hear doesn't mean it's not a suggestion.

I'm not trying to be offensive, just being realistic. What do you expect with electronics that cost under $100?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, credit card, borrow money, loan. .. Something. $100 is a waste.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Am considering a leapers. Am planning on keeping original flip up sites.
https://leapers.com/index.php?act=prod_detail&midx=2368&allids=2364_2368&itemno=SCP-LS289S

Don't get a Sig Romeo. Mine went to shit after 2 years. Having a bitch of a time to get it RMA'd. Take a look at swamp fox. Not under $100 but good company to deal with.
View Quote

The Bulldot held up fine on a Shockwave, I did replace it with a Holosun 503gu and started using the optic to aim.

Primary Arms/Vortex Crossfire Red Dot hold up to 12 gauge just fine. The only Truglo I'd go with is the Trutec since its a holosun clone
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol it's not about ability to buy. It's about what I want to spend. It's just a paper puncher
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

lol it's not about ability to buy. It's about what I want to spend. It's just a paper puncher
View Quote

And how much do you spend on ammo punching paper?  Gives up a case of ammo and get a little better quality.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here.  One I bought 7-8 years ago has been used a lot on a heavy recoiling 12 gauge shotgun with full power 00 buck and slugs.  Never failed.

They will eat batteries if you forget to turn them off, though.

I favor and buy duty grade optics when it matters.  I bought the TRS-25 primarily for a .22LR.  Decided to try it on a 12 gauge.  That is a hunting shotgun.  The little Bushnell keeps on chugging.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And how much do you spend on ammo punching paper?  Gives up a case of ammo and get a little better quality.
View Quote

With ammo as hard to find as it is right now, I'm not giving it up
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP this BSA optic is a cheap optic that might suit you. I have the previous version without the little sunshade that I have had on a 10ga single shot turkey gun and on a 45/70 for a while. It's over 20 years old and currently on a .22. The battery life isn't great but it's held up to the recoil. Maybe the new version is just as good.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BSA-Illuminated-Red-Dot-30mm/3266760
View Quote

How does this compare t the $30 pinty?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

With ammo as hard to find as it is right now, I'm not giving it up
View Quote

I mean, don't buy that next case, instead buy the red-dot. But umm... if you have some ammo to spare now is the time to buy some high end goods at no net cost to you by selling ammo at insane prices.

Street price on 9mm fmj around me is $1/round. I have a lot I paid $0.10-0.15 per round for. I could sell a few k and buy several nice guns and optics w/o any out of pocket cost.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I mean, don't buy that next case, instead buy the red-dot. But umm... if you have some ammo to spare now is the time to buy some high end goods at no net cost to you by selling ammo at insane prices.

Street price on 9mm fmj around me is $1/round. I have a lot I paid $0.10-0.15 per round for. I could sell a few k and buy several nice guns and optics w/o any out of pocket cost.
View Quote

I don't have that luxury. I had not bought ammo for years before last year b/c I wasn't going to the range for a while so I don't have any to spare. I regret that now lol
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#19]
bump
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
bump
View Quote

Bump for what? You got advice, it's still on the first page, there is no reason to bump this...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#21]
There is no $100 red dot option that’s going to survive shotgun recoil long term.

If you have a hunting shotgun where you’re going to shoot it a few times to sitters the load snd then it gets shot for only a few shells a season, a cheap red dot may hold up.  I see plenty of guys using them on their Turkey guns.  

I think high round count will catch up to any cheap red dot.  

What you are looking for doesn’t really exist.  I’d just stick with iron sights if you don’t have the budget for a better level of red dot, otherwise you’re just throwing money away.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, the other posters aren’t being jerks. They are telling you straight up. If you consider how much recoil a .22LR has. Now much much recoil does a 12ga have? 5x? 10x? More?

Your budget is asking for over 10x the performance threshold of cheapie Chinese optics that are usually at home on a smaller caliber. There’s plenty of Chinese optics that CAN survive a 12ga... but not for $0.

You need to increase your budget.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#23]
SIG MSRs can be had for $100.

Sig msr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top