Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2018 4:10:34 AM EDT
Getting ready to start putting together a Kidd 10/22. It's going to be in a Magpul X22 stock and going to have the 16" Ultra Lite Weight barrel.

I am thinking about going with a red dot and long the lines of a Trijicon MRO with the low mount.

Any opinions / suggestions for or against a different red dot?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Vortex just released a new Crossfire Red Dot Sight which includes both a low mount for use on a 10/22 or AK with more traditional style stock.  The Crossfire also comes with a mount for an AR-15 which give lower 1/3 co-witness.   Vortex sells a SPARC red dot sight which is also small like the Crossfire but has different controls.

Don’t laugh but I bought a Field Sport red dot sight off Amazon for $20 which has been pretty decent.   I never owned a red/greeen optic so I bought the red/grn version but the solid red version get good reviews.   I bought a UTG .83 high mount so I can use my Field Sport on my AR-15.   The Field Sport is very similar in size and function to the Bushnell TRS 25 RDS which also get good reviews.

Primary Arms Micro Dot gets great reviews and Primary Arms occasionally sell blem Micro Red Dot Sights pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Field-Sport-Green-Micro-Sight/dp/B00D4AYBR6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518277599&sr=8-2&keywords=field+sport+red+dot+sight

I prefer the 2 MOA dot on 22 rimfire as the common 4 MOA dots cover to much target IMHO.  I sight my 22 rimfires in at 50 yards and for short range rimfires I like RDS for plinking and dispatching critters.   I have several 22’s with red dots and scopes and each have their advantages.  At least if you buy a cheaper red dot your not out a lot of money to experiment.

I have four AR-15’s in 22 LR two have red dots two have scopes.   My Savage bull barrel bolt action has a scope and my Sears rebranded Winchester 190 wears a Weaver 1.5.   My Henry H-001 lever gun only has iron sights.   I like lots of options.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I just finished a full Kidd build with UL 16.5 barrel and Magpul stock. I thought I wanted to run a red dot on it too, until I tried it and realized that the accuracy of the Kidd parts was being wasted. I went with a Vortex 2.5-10x33 and it's a much better fit for what I wanted. Still lightweight and quick but capable of precision shots at distance when needed. I stuck a red dot on my .22 AR and it's a better fit for the accuracy and distance I shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want accuracy get a scope with an adjustable objective to at least 12x. Good air gun scopes work great on 22s.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
This Ultra Lite Weight barrel build will be my second Kidd. The first one has a single stage trigger, 16.5 stainless bull barrel, in a Revolution thumb hole laminate stock. It has a Nikon 3-9x40 rimfire scope in Warne QD rings.

I agree a MRO wont do it justice when going for accuracy.

What I though about doing is going with a 10 moa base, and Mueller 8-32 scope on the heavy bull barrel rifle. Then keeping the 3-9x40 for the lite weight build, along with a MRO red dot depending what kind of plinking I am doing.

The trigger I purchased for the lite weight build is a 2 stage.  I think I might swap those around too. That way the heavy would end up with a 2 stage trigger, and 8-32 optic. It would be used for punching paper at longer distances off a rest.  Then the lite build would have a single stage trigger with the option of a 3-9x40 scope or a red dot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This Ultra Lite Weight barrel build will be my second Kidd. The first one has a single stage trigger, 16.5 stainless bull barrel, in a Revolution thumb hole laminate stock. It has a Nikon 3-9x40 rimfire scope in Warne QD rings.

What I though about doing is going with a 10 moa base, and Mueller 8-32 scope on the heavy bull barrel rifle. Then keeping the 3-9x40 for the lite weight build, along with a MRO red dot depending what kind of plinking I am doing.

The trigger I purchased for the lite weight build is a 2 stage.  I think I might swap those around too. That way the heavy would end up with a 2 stage trigger, and 8-32 optic. It would be used for punching paper at longer distances off a rest.  Then the lite build would have a single stage trigger with the option of a 3-9x40 scope or a red dot.
View Quote
I have the same scope on my kidd-barrel 10/22.

Good stuff for the price
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I run a Bushnell TRS 25 on my kidd ulw barrel. I built it to be a super light back packer in a butler creek folder but didn’t want to sacrifice accuracy. It’s one of my favorite guns.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I feel the need to pay you back for getting me into Kidd.

I'm looking at a Vortex Optics Strike Eagle 1-8 for the 10-22 upgrade project you gave advice on.

Going to order the single stage Kidd trigger with the mount.

Have you tried the bolt buffer?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I feel the need to pay you back for getting me into Kidd.

I'm looking at a Vortex Optics Strike Eagle 1-8 for the 10-22 upgrade project you gave advice on.

Going to order the single stage Kidd trigger with the mount.

Have you tried the bolt buffer?
View Quote
Id consider a 1-8 if I didn't already have a 3-9x40. The 3-9x40 is mounted in a pair of Warne QD rings so it doesn't take much to swap them out.

Both rifles I put together have the Kidd buffer. Its nice because it has the cushion of the rubber but has the hard rigid core to keep it from deforming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top