Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2018 9:30:16 AM EDT
Had a question for the Lever Action forum.

I have a pretty nice 30-30 I put together over time. My intent when I built it was to use it for boar and deer hunting at some family property in NY state.

Candidly I don’t do much hunting and when I do I use my  .308.

I have the gun listed for sale but I have a lot of cash into it and if i can’t recoup most of it I’m going to keep it.

Below is a pic of the set up
Attachment Attached File

My question is would you guys put on a red dot optic on the scout rail?  If so does anyone have any experience with them and what would you recommend? I was thinking the Bushnel Tar-25 but have no experience with them and don’t know if they hold up to the recoil.

Or  would you use a vari-power optic like a 2x 7?

The overwhelming majority of the hunting with this gun will be under 75 yards.

Thanks for any advise you can give me
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
At 75 and under a good red dot will be super fast to acquire targets.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I originally had a C-More on my 1895 GS.  Nothing was wrong with the C-More (moved it to another firearm) but my eyes got older and now I use a scope.

It was amazingly fast on target.  Easy to keep both eyes open as there was no magnification.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a big fan of a tang site on a lever gun.   The Marbles standard Tang sight with a Merit #3 or #4 aperture and a Lyman 17AHB front sight gives me 2 MOA accuracy in my lever guns, and doesn't screw up the lines or the handling.

Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I installed a RMR on my 336Y.  I’ll post photos once the rifle shows up with my house hold goods.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The overwhelming majority of the hunting with this gun will be under 75 yards.

Thanks for any advise you can give me
View Quote
Leupold FX-II 4x33mm (or any quality fixed power)

Most of my hunting is done with a Ruger 77/357 topped with one.
Its a phenomenal optic... light, compact, bright, FAST, wfov, durable, and with more than enough X for proper hits at 75.

I've tried all sorts of variables over the years and always come back to fixed power, they're like an old trusty pocket knife.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 4:13:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately you won't be doing any boar hunting in NY- it's illegal.

What type of terrain will you be hunting in?  If your shots fall in 100 yards or less due to dense vegetation then a red dot (or irons) all the way.  If you plan on going farther I'd put a lower powered scope on it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of a tang site on a lever gun.   The Marbles standard Tang sight with a Merit #3 or #4 aperture and a Lyman 17AHB front sight gives me 2 MOA accuracy in my lever guns, and doesn't screw up the lines or the handling.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/Lever%20Action%20Rifles/EB8C1761-F8E2-4DA8-BF58-7044CCD0E76B_zpsk6vzp6ja.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/Lever%20Action%20Rifles/6FE0033F-FDFC-4E14-B94D-723FE3D64898_zpsvjfjrbzj.jpg
View Quote
While I agree with DakotaFAL as I have 2 leverguns with tang sights; a 24" Rossi 357mag and a 24" Uberti 45 Colt,

for his uses, as he already has a rail on his gun, I'd suggest that he look at a compact red dot.  His ranges aren't that far and out to about 200yds, the red dot is very useful and fast.  Something like a Burris FastFire 3, Nikon P-Tactical Spur 3, Vortex Optics Venom Red, etc.  Heck, TruGlo and Weaver make budget priced versions as well.  I like these as they are small and fit on the rail well.  They also might allow the use of the irons through them if the dot fails as they are small and mounted low on the rail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top