Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2019 7:16:33 PM EDT
I get a few folks a year who want to know if I can run a background check on their name before they commit to buying a firearm.

Hmm . . .

Anyone else have this problem?  What's protocol?  I'm embarrassed to say I can't find the answer myself.  I'm guessing the ATF isn't too keen on it, but how is it different than someone who is flat out rejected for a purchase?

Just curious.  I can call my field office, but the last few times I've done so (different topic) the opinions varied wildly.  A few more options here couldn't hurt . . .
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#1]
NICS can only be used for its intended purpose.

My protocol if asked would be $50, take their DL, go take a dump, and then come back and tell them they are GTG.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#2]
That's not a practical BG check anyway, because you don't see the results.
Most state governments will do it for a fee. Local BG checks are useless unless the subject has continuously resided there long-term (and you only want to check locally).
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
In Texas you can go to the DPS web site and pull your own criminal history. Warrants will show up too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NICS can only be used for its intended purpose.

My protocol if asked would be $50, take their DL, go take a dump, and then come back and tell them they are GTG.
View Quote
This.

If you have to ask, then...

I used to have roughly 12-20 denied a weekend, then started charging a $20 "filing fee".  It went to about 2 a weekend after that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]
OP. On your next compliance inspection, be close to the inspector when they go through your denied transactions and look at the print out they have. You'll notice a trend.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]
1. You don't have the buyer/transferee fill out the 4473 unless it is pursuant to the acquisition of a firearm.
2. You can't run NICS until the buyer/transferee has filled out the Form 4473.
3. FBI NICS handbook makes it pretty darn clear you can't do "just for fun" or practice NICS checks:See page 27 Authorized Use and Unauthorized Use
4. And then there's this:28 CFR 25.11 - Prohibited activities and penalties.

§ 25.11 Prohibited activities and penalties.
(a) State or local agencies, FFLs, or individuals violating this subpart A shall be subject to a fine not to exceed $10,000 and subject to cancellation of NICS inquiry privileges.
(b) Misuse or unauthorized access includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) State or local agencies', FFLs', or individuals' purposefully furnishing incorrect information to the system to obtain a “Proceed” response, thereby allowing a firearm transfer;
(2) State or local agencies', FFLs', or individuals' purposefully using the system to perform a check for unauthorized purposes; and
(3) Any unauthorized person's accessing the NICS.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
It costs $18.00 to get a background file on yourself from the FBI  it is called a Identity History Summary Checks, they will have to fill a form out, and send with a Print Card.

It is what everyone refers to as your rap sheet.

I have a sheet of information that I give a client when they ask if I can run a check on them, that gives them a road map on how to get their file.

FBI Identity History Summary
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for all the insights, folks.

Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It costs $18.00 to get a background file on yourself from the FBI  it is called a Identity History Summary Checks, they will have to fill a form out, and send with a Print Card.

It is what everyone refers to as your rap sheet.

I have a sheet of information that I give a client when they ask if I can run a check on them, that gives them a road map on how to get their file.

FBI Identity History Summary
View Quote
Thanks for that link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top