Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2018 12:26:16 PM EDT
Just moved in and are in the process of replacing doors. This is a two part question.  Keep in mind we will be adding a security system and cameras to both shop and house.  What door locks/knobs do you recommend for front entry doors?  My wife likes the idea of smart doors which you can see if they are locked via app on her smartphone.  I would also like the keys for garage-to house, front door and backyard-to garage doors to be the same.

I will also be changing the locks/doorknobs on my shop (2 doors). I don’t necessarily need the same as the front door as they will both be on sensors and be on the security system. I like keys, but are there any keypad types that take a code that are very good? Also the shop is behind two locked gates, we have a couple deterrents of the K9 variety.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Medico high security or multilock, both excellent. I do not trust the electronic online locks, they can be hacked!
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Schlage deadbolt with an electronic keypad, it must be manually locked and unlocked.
Below it a lever style doorknob without any lock.
It makes life much easier.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Mexico deadbolt. Buy once, cry once.

I liked mine so much I took it with me when I moved. Unfortunately it’s satin nickel and the new house is oil rubbed so I may have to buy another one anyways.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
dont waste your money on anything besides abloy protec or bilock.  same price as multilock and higher end medoco, unpickable and commercial materials.  check out securitysnobs.com.  they have tons of info and you can order from there as well.  cant beat it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
dont waste your money on anything besides abloy protec or bilock.  same price as multilock and higher end medoco, unpickable and commercial materials.  check out securitysnobs.com.  they have tons of info and you can order from there as well.  cant beat it.
View Quote
They are great but everywhere I looked the prices were much higher than Medico,  I'll check out your link, maybe things have changed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget the door jam
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd do a Medeco combined with a smart lock. That way your family will know the one door they normally use is at least locked (usually a back door) with or without the manual Medeco and your front and shop doors can have the Medeco left bolted and you can have the Medeco at the rear secured when you take a family trip etc. Just dont forget the cameras, motion activated lights, and alarm. We had Medeco on our home growing up and I once forget to lock the back door on my way to school. Rear door blew open during a storm and neghborhood dogs came in and ate my dad's new gym shoes... you can guess what happened when I got home lol. Also, ordering a new key for a lost one (say you kid or wife lost her keys by throwing in trash accidentally) and you can cut a normal lock backup or use the smart lock until you can get around to getting another Medeco key (my mother did exactly that). So dont Medeco all locks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use a Schlage deadbolt with an electronic keypad, it must be manually locked and unlocked.
Below it a lever style doorknob without any lock.
It makes life much easier.
View Quote
We utilize three Schlage keypad locks.

Not sure how we made it without them for so long before.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:31:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I have never understood the need for super duty door locks. Does your house not have windows? I am not saying install the cheapest shitty lock you can find but isn’t a chain only as strong as it’s weakest link?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have never understood the need for super duty door locks. Does your house not have windows? I am not saying install the cheapest shitty lock you can find but isn’t a chain only as strong as it’s weakest link?
View Quote
It's true about the windows but having been through three home burglaries over many years plus I have known a great many people in Houston who have also had their homes burglarized a most common feature about them is more times than not they get in through a door.
Front door or back door.
And sometimes the garage door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top