Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2018 4:36:46 PM EDT
I can set up a solid pellet/bb target across my basement.

Anyone do anything similar? Looking for something better than the cheesy stuff I found just googling around.

Mainly old Daisys I have restored and one target air rifle. Pretty low velocity fun stuff
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a milk crate stacked with cardboard, this was for .22 colibri ( powderless rimfire)
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Two effective traps that are easy to make, but have a small bit of investment are the electrical duct seal trap, and the rubber mulch trap.  Both are quiet and keep the lead  contained.

The first of the two uses a few pounds of electrical duct seal (the oil based kind) which looks a lot like modeling clay but a little bit denser.  It can be put into a cardboard box with a thin cover to staple or tape your targets.   You have to make sure that you use different impact places periodically as you will eventually make a deep enough crater that will go through.  Some folks will put a sheet steel backer to make sure that the pellets won't get through.   You do have to melt and re-cast the seal to reclaim the pellets after some time.

The other trap is similar but uses garden variety (pun intended) rubber mulch. The rubber mulch does require a bit more sturdy and possibly double layer cardboard front covers as it will tend to dribble out of the large hole you eventually put into the front.  Again a steel back plate is not a bad idea, but a bit of a shake with the back of the box down will remove any hollows that develop which would allow a bb or pellet to go through.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I've made two traps out of scrap lumber and duct seal. More than happy with the results.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:15:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Mid size cardboard box and a bunch of sheets of cardboard cut to size to fit inside. Another easy one is a mid size cardboard box stuffed as densely as possible with plastic bags. Both will go a long time. If needed, put one sheet of plywood in the back. A layer of duct tape and a fresh target on the front every few range sessions will make them last a long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top