Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2020 12:39:39 PM EDT
What do you guys recommend as a starter BP rifle or pistol?  Thinking .50 Cal since I'd like to be able to use it to hunt deer with.

I do own a few smokepoles...but they are Nepalese cache guns from IMA in need of restoration still. Got them as a challenge to restore, but I'm not opposed to using one either.  I haven't seen much in the way of .70 Cal projectiles being readily available though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought my first BP rifle in December.
I compared a Thompson Center Impact to the CVA Wolf...both low investment starter rifles.

I went home with the Thompson Center because the Wolf looked cheaper made and felt awkward.
Mine came with fiber optic sights which look really nice but are crap.
It's hard to explain but the rear sights are 2 or 3 inches long and are fastened down on one end of the sight only.
Because of this and the length of the sight, the front of the rear sight stays lifted off the barrel even with the elevation screw completely removed, causing groups to be 4in high at 50 yards. I'm assuming this is a defect anyway. Perhaps at 100 yards it would have been fine but I wouldn't take a 100 yard shot on irons..I'm not good enough. I was in a pinch 2 days before muzzleloader season and found that electrical tape fit the bill for the moment but I'll be contacting TC soon to see what we can do about it.

Besides that, it shoots great, easy to break down.
I'll be putting a scope on it for next year but still want those irons to work...
Cant wait for spring to put more lead down range.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you looking for a traditional gun or an inline?
View Quote
I think I would prefer a traditional type BP rifle. It appeals to my history geek side more than anything.  I have toyed with the idea of a traditional kit rifle but heard they were kinda meh quality.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I’d suggest am 1851 Navy .36 revolver as a starter gun.
There are eleventybillion of them out there and you can find them cheap.
Very economical to shoot. Light recoil.
A brass frame gun is fine but keep to light loads.

I wouldn’t recommend a flintlock until you get some experience.
They can be frustrating if they don’t spark well.
Stay with a percussion gun at first.
With a cap fired gun you can use BP substitutes.

Learn how to clean properly. It is more involved than a cartridge gun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]
First off, ignore the above advice completely. If you want a flintlock then get that. If you want a percussion get that. In the BP world you get exactly what you pay for. Forget using any of the barrel eating substitutes and learn to clean one with tap water and ballistol. BP guns are literally that easy to clean. Now this following suggestion is the best I can offer. Head on over to American Longrifle forums and read from the masters of the trade.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the BP world you get exactly what you pay for. Forget using any of the barrel eating substitutes and learn to clean one with tap water and ballistol. BP guns are literally that easy to clean. Now this following suggestion is the best I can offer. Head on over to American Longrifle forums and read from the masters of the trade.
View Quote
Generally, I'd agree 100%.  Get the gun that calls to you.  And you do get what you pay for, especially with flintlocks.  A cheap flintlock is a nightmare of frustration.

Although if your interest is Civil War arms, the North-South Skirmish Association pretty well has the knowledge base covered.

I won't get into cleaning...there are about as many cleaning methods as shooters.  At home, my cleaner is Simple Green, either straight on a patch or diluted.  Then dry.  Ballistol I use for a final protective coat...but I also use Ballistol-soaked patches for cleaning in the field.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What do you guys recommend as a starter BP rifle or pistol?  Thinking .50 Cal since I'd like to be able to use it to hunt deer with.

I do own a few smokepoles...but they are Nepalese cache guns from IMA in need of restoration still. Got them as a challenge to restore, but I'm not opposed to using one either.  I haven't seen much in the way of .70 Cal projectiles being readily available though.
View Quote
Be careful with those Nepalese guns.  I have the Nepalese made Brunswick and P-1858 that I am not going to shoot, based on condition and quality.  However the EIC Model F muskets were made in Britain and are high quality if in good condition.  I have two of them and one is in better shape than the other but both are shootable.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have a modicum of ability and a few tools, get a Kibler kit of your choosing.  He has published videos of almost every step, and you will have a phenomenal gun when done.

Also, you will be much more familiar with the inner workings of the beast.

Doc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top