Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2018 5:09:10 AM EDT
I have a fun little project gun I've been working on and I'm to the point now where I just need a picatinny rail section for the barrel.

The barrel is drilled and tapped so I'm looking for a smith  that can mill the proper radius for the barrel contour using a picatinny blank.

I've tried my local smiths but they're all backed up for 8 - 12 months.

Any leads would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the excellent reply!

The barrel diameter is straight from chamber to muzzle.

Unfortunately I lost my ability to post pics when Photobucket decided to get greedy.

The rifle in question is a Henry MiniBolt that my daughter brought home to me one day. I know it's a cheap gun but it means a lot to me, so I'd really like to accomplish this task and take her squirrel hunting with it before the season ends.

If you know someone capable I will gladly text or email pics, so they can decide if they want to accept the job.

Thanks again for taking the time out of your day to hopefully start me on the right track!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#3]
10/22 rail sounds like it would work in a pinch.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10/22 rail sounds like it would work in a pinch.
View Quote
Thanks for the input!

Unfortunately it wouldn't be particularly stable since the contour is nowhere near the same.
The little rifle has a small diameter barrel so every mount I've looked into is too wide, which leaves the mount supported only be the screws with no support.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the excellent reply!

The barrel diameter is straight from chamber to muzzle.

Unfortunately I lost my ability to post pics when Photobucket decided to get greedy.

The rifle in question is a Henry MiniBolt that my daughter brought home to me one day. I know it's a cheap gun but it means a lot to me, so I'd really like to accomplish this task and take her squirrel hunting with it before the season ends.

If you know someone capable I will gladly text or email pics, so they can decide if they want to accept the job.

Thanks again for taking the time out of your day to hopefully start me on the right track!
View Quote
I sent you a PM on this.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:24:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the PM!

Since there doesn't seem to be much traffic in this forum I believe I will try to continue my search locally.

Hopefully I can find someone capable of doing this task so I can get the daughter out in the woods with the rifle she bought me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the reply!

I am currently using the factory cantilever mount, cut short to mount a small red dot sight.
As you pointed out, the mount is much too high to get a proper cheek weld so I am hoping to get a small piece of picatinny rail machined to match the contours of the barrel.
With the red dot mounted to a barrel mounted rail the sight would be considerably lower and user friendly.

Unfortunately everyone I have spoken with is backed  up for months which means squirrel season will be long closed by the time it gets back.
I guess I may have to go that route anyway and Lord willing be able to take her out with it next year for a bit of squirrel hunting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I think if figured out the photo posting thing!

The first photo was taken at 25 yards and shows a 10 shot group on the right and then a 10 shot group on the left.
The single holes on top and bottom were from dialing in.
I'm confident at 25 yards and less her young eyes can manage to whomp a squirrel in the head.

The second photo shows the current setup with which she shot those groups.
While she has proven that the gun can shoot, she says the sight being so high is uncomfortable.
I'm hoping the picatinny rail section will lower it enough to offer a cheek weld. From my mock ups I believe it will.

Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:58:52 AM EDT
[#11]
why don't you just go ahead and build up the stock so it fits her face?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:23:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
why don't you just go ahead and build up the stock so it fits her face?
View Quote
It makes more sense to me to lower the optic to a more realistic height than to raise the cheek weld of the stock to match the ridiculous height of the factory mount.

Thanks for adding your input though. It is appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Just wanted to follow up and give a public thanks to Mechanical.
He contacted me from this thread and ended up making exactly what I needed to make the gun usable for my daughter and myself without accepting anything in return.
That, my friends, is how I wish we all would treat one another.

His work is flawless and impeccable, and the cheek weld is perfect.

Thanks again Mechanical!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top