Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2020 2:06:31 PM EDT
So an officer with my department went to the range.  Somehow a .300 Blk got into a mag of 5.56.  He pulled the trigger and BOOM!  

He brought it into me (Colt Armorer for the department).  It took me a while to get the BCG freed and the casing out of the chamber.  The round was also about 1/2 way down the barrel but stopped just before the gas block. I was easily able to push it out with a cleaning rod with minimum resistance.  Here's the damage assessment.  The extractor was broken and bent.  The bolt appears to be ok but I will replace it.  The bolt carrier appears to be fine.  I bent the charging handle trying to get the BCG out (easily replaced).  Gas tube appears undamaged.  Lower receiver appears undamaged.  The ejection port cover and rod were bent.  The receiver is bent several mills out of spec.  I will replace.  I guess the biggest question is the barrel.  It was put on the weapon brand new about six month ago and up until this error, had been shooting very tight groups.  Should I just replace the barrel? Thoughts?  And YES, I have already stomped a mudhole in his ass for not checking his ammo.  He was shooting standard Remington FMJ. I can post pics if needed.  

Thanks in advance!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If this is  a duty gun, I'd absolutely replace it.  I'd probably replace it either way.

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is swollen/bulged for sure (me personally I would no matter what for peace of mind) but if not and it groups, I don't see what it would hurt?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
If you end up not replacing it, I'd make sure this 'buddy' of yours is the one to take the first shot.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
How did a .308" bullet make it halfway down a .224" hole and cause so little damage to the other parts you detailed?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Replace it.

Cost is minimal compared to what the liability cost is to the user, and to you as the qualified person.

The components could be put back in service but I would not sign off on them unless I had 3rd party assurance that there wasn't unseen damage (barrel gauged and bore inspected; bolt and carrier magnafluxed or other otherwise tested, at a minimum).  Visual inspection is not sufficient.  Cheaper and easier to just replace the whole assembly.

If there is a failure of some type involving that upper received group in the future, you do not want to be the one who put it back in service.

Inspect and verify that the lower is still in factory specs and document that fact.  Most likely there will be no issues as that is the low pressure part of the system but if it is ever questioned....

Saving the department or the shooter a few bucks is not worth the assumed liability.

Just my opinion,
Joat
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a cheap bastard, and the only thing I would re-use from that upper is the handguards.

No way in hell would I carry it into harms way.

That bolt and barrel have been subjected to pressures far in excess of its design.

Its all scrap metal at this point!
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Duty gun, I would replace and then put my boot up his ass again.  Way to much liability involved in a kaboomed gun in a SHTF duty situation.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies guys.  I just happen to have two brand new M4 profile barrels in my armory.  Off to order a new receiver and some parts.

Be safe out there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a cheap bastard, and the only thing I would re-use from that upper is the handguards.

No way in hell would I carry it into harms way.

That bolt and barrel have been subjected to pressures far in excess of its design.

Its all scrap metal at this point!
View Quote

Everything upper.

Go over everything lower and then go over everything again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Put the cheapest barrel and receiver back on it and tell him he doesn't deserve nice things.

Sorry, not GD

Check it thoroughly before returning it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:29:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top