Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2021 2:40:52 AM EDT
I am looking to get started in BP and want rifle recommendations.  Our family, from SC has a rich history in the Civil War. Family members fought at Antietam, Shiloh and Manassas. I was thinking about getting a period correct rifle that would have been used by the South. I would love to build a kit but don't have the time, so would prefer to buy a complete rifle of good quality that will last long enough to hand down to my children. Although I do not own a BP rifle I have shot several and know my way around a gun fairly well.

What do you recommend?

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#1]
A 3 band Enfield (P-53) would be the appropriate rifle. I had an Armi sports version that I gave to my son. Pedersoli makes a version of it that may be a better copy but expect to pay about $1000.00. I know you can get an India made copy for half of that and I'm not saying they are bad guns but they aren't up to the same standards as the Italian guns.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#2]
For the most part, the English Pattern 1853 rifle-musket would be the most common option. It was the principal arm of the South and the secondary arm of the North.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Sharps.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:09:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sharps.
View Quote

Go on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A 3 band Enfield (P-53) would be the appropriate rifle. I had an Armi sports version that I gave to my son. Pedersoli makes a version of it that may be a better copy but expect to pay about $1000.00. I know you can get an India made copy for half of that and I'm not saying they are bad guns but they aren't up to the same standards as the Italian guns.
View Quote

Who are reputable online Pedersoli/BP dealers?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Taylor's and company, Dixie gun works, I think Track of the Wolf might carry them. I' sure there are others as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Taylor's and company, Dixie gun works, I think Track of the Wolf might carry them. I' sure there are others as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cabela's also carries some Pedersoli guns and if they are on sale they are decent deals, but they rarely go on sale anymore.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:30:57 AM EDT
[#8]
The 1853 3-band Enfield was the primary Infantry weapon of the Rebs.
The 1861 Springfield was also widely used by infantry on both sides.
The 1842 .69cal musket was also widely used. These came in both a smoothbore and rifled version.
Truthfully just about every rifle or musket made at the time was pressed into service.
In the early part of the war even flintlock muskets were used. Especially in the western theatre.
1841 Mississippi rifle, 1859 Sharps military rifle would be correct.

If you would prefer to have a cavalry weapon there are a few choices.
1860 Henry
1859 Sharps carbine
Smith carbine

All these are available as reproductions.
Of course original guns are an option as well but they’re very expensive and I do not recommend firing them.
Stay the hell away from the Indian made guns unless you just want a display piece.
Pedersoli makes very nice reproductions IMO.

Dixie Gun Works sells everything you’ll ever need.
Possibles Shop is good
Lodgewood is good
Track of the Wolf is good
Buffalo Arms is good.
Cherry’s Guns is okay hut they overcharge.
You can google “civil war sutlers” to find various vendors that cater to the re-enactors. They’ll have lots of stuff.
Oddly enough these guns rarely show up used. If you’re in civ war country you can haunt the reenactor forums and sometimes find guns for sale at better prices.

Good luck in your quest.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I concur with the Enfield recommendation.

Additionally, I just picked up a reproduction 1860 Army revolver made by Uberti.  The fit/finish of the revolver is very nice and it shoots well.

My next black powder rifle will more than likely be an Enfield or a Springfield (after I save up some more money) by Pedersoli.  I'm hopeful the quality of the Pedersoli is on par with the Uberti.

Best of luck to you!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Great information.  Thanks Gentlemen! I am now wondering if BP components are being panic bought like smokeless? Maybe I'll be able to get a rifle but nothing to load in it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#11]
PM sent to OP
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Armi Sport/ Chiapas makes decent replicas of the Confederate Richmond Rifle and Carbine- both .58 caliber rifles that were made for the Confederacy on machinery captured at Harper’s Ferry arsenal.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#13]
A good matching pistol would be a 36 caliber 1851 Colt Navy Revolver.

Quoting Wiki (yeah yeah I know):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_1851_Navy_Revolver

"Famous "Navy" users included Wild Bill Hickok, William Buffalo Bill Cody, John Henry "Doc" Holliday, Richard Francis Burton, Ned Kelly, Bully Hayes, Ben Pease, Blackbirders, Metis, Seth Kinman, Emir Abdelkader, Richard H. Barter, Charlie Goodnight, Robert E. Lee, Nathan B. Forrest, John O'Neill, Frank Gardiner, Ulysses S. Grant, Quantrill's Raiders, Tom Bell, Kootenay Brown, Ivan Turchin, John Coffee "Jack" Hays, "Bigfoot" Wallace, Frederick Townsend Ward, Ben McCulloch, Addison Gillespie, John "Rip" Ford, "Sul" Ross and most Texas Rangers prior to the Civil War."

I like my pair of Piettas.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#14]
The Navy was the second most commonly produced Colt percussion revolver. The .31 pocket model was the most produced. The Navy is the most perfectly balanced revolver I’ve ever handled.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Try to find what units they were with and the dates. Might be able to find roughly what they would have carried. A lot of units had a smattering of whatever and many guys were still humping old converted flintlocks.

I say get an 1842 smoothbore. The repro is the least farby of all the repros Civ war guns out there. Used by both sides from the get go. Of course the 1853 is a  good choice and both sides used them in massive numbers as well but if you want it to look right, send it off to get defarbed.

and for the love of God please don't get a "Zouave" 1863 Remington repro. They were never issued to any troops in the war. I mean do grab one if the price is right, they are good shooters but they are not correct if looking for a Civ war gun
Link to show what a good defarb looks like

https://www.lodgewood.com/P1853-Enfield_c_204.html
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#16]
if you can find a 3 band parker enfield at a good used price buy it.. These are the caddies of the enfield line..
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Try to find what units they were with and the dates. Might be able to find roughly what they would have carried. A lot of units had a smattering of whatever and many guys were still humping old converted flintlocks.

I say get an 1842 smoothbore. The repro is the least farby of all the repros Civ war guns out there. Used by both sides from the get go. Of course the 1853 is a  good choice and both sides used them in massive numbers as well but if you want it to look right, send it off to get defarbed.

and for the love of God please don't get a "Zouave" 1863 Remington repro. They were never issued to any troops in the war. I mean do grab one if the price is right, they are good shooters but they are not correct if looking for a Civ war gun
Link to show what a good defarb looks like

https://www.lodgewood.com/P1853-Enfield_c_204.html
View Quote

Is there a way to tell what they were armed with? My GG Grandfather was captured at Gettysburg serving in the 23rd North Carolina. He was noted as “armed” when captured. His unit was decimated in Pickett’s charged, 80% casualties and the regiment colors were captured. He fought with the unit in every battle of the war up until he was captured. He was a carpenter and I have a whole bunch of furniture he made from North Carolina heart pine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is there a way to tell what they were armed with? My GG Grandfather was captured at Gettysburg serving in the 23rd North Carolina. He was noted as “armed” when captured. His unit was decimated in Pickett’s charged, 80% casualties and the regiment colors were captured. He fought with the unit in every battle of the war up until he was captured. He was a carpenter and I have a whole bunch of furniture he made from North Carolina heart pine.
View Quote

Its harder for CSA units. Also sometimes need to know the  Company they were in.

I just looked up the history of your GG Grandfathers regiment unit at Gettysburg. Looks like they fought on the 1st day of the battle  on Oak Ridge and got ambushed.   315 men at start - 65 killed, 120 wounded and 97 missing or captured. Holy damn those poor bastards ran into a meat grinder. Foreshadowing what would come days later at Pickets Charge.  You grandpa was one of only 33 to be standing after the 20 minute fight.

What was his last name, also Company if known?

ETA sorry for hijacking. You can PM me the info
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Its harder for CSA units. Also sometimes need to know the  Company they were in.

I just looked up the history of your GG Grandfathers regiment unit at Gettysburg. Looks like they fought on the 1st day of the battle  on Oak Ridge and got ambushed.   315 men at start - 65 killed, 120 wounded and 97 missing or captured. Holy damn those poor bastards ran into a meat grinder. Foreshadowing what would come days later at Pickets Charge.  You grandpa was one of only 33 to be standing after the 20 minute fight.

What was his last name, also Company if known?

ETA sorry for hijacking. You can PM me the info
View Quote

Not to hijack, but I was there yesterday. Iversons North Carolina Brigade. They were sent out without orders to be in battle formation or put out skirmishers. They walked right up on a Union Brigade behind a stone wall. The ones who fell were still in lines from the formation.

OP, I'm prejudiced but an 1853 Enfield would most likely be what your GG Grandfather was carrying that day. They are reliable, accurate, and lots of fun to shoot. And if you evr decide to come to Gettysburg, I can show you around. Be a privelege.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#20]
@snuffy19608

Thank You for the offer and suggestion. I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet as rifles and components have been scarce. I hope to get something by this fall. Thanks Again!
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Resurrecting with an option for the OP

Get an original M1816 converted to percussion cap. Widely used by both sides early in the war.

Lodgewood has a really nice one for a decent price. Buy it before I do.

https://www.lodgewood.com/Whitney-Massachusetts-Contract-M1816-_p_5301.html
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For the most part, the English Pattern 1853 rifle-musket would be the most common option. It was the principal arm of the South and the secondary arm of the North.
View Quote

That would be my choice; after the shorter 33" two band rifle.  Those were reserved by the Confederates in the Army of Northern Virginia for its sharpshooter battalions.

If you're going into reenacting, figure out the unit, the time period and then get the firearm to match that unit/time.

If you're going into shooting for fun of shooting, the Enfields were among the most accurate (muzzle loading) guns of its era.  

If you're going hunting, I think the 24" Enfield used by some cavalrymen would be best.

British made Parker Hale Enfields were the best (but inaccurate for reenacting because their hardware is post-ACW).
Then the Italian made (with British components) the second best.

My three enfields (39", 33", 24") are all British made.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#23]
CS sharpshooters we’re often armed with Whitworths and Kerr rifles.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The 1853 3-band Enfield was the primary Infantry weapon of the Rebs.
The 1861 Springfield was also widely used by infantry on both sides.
The 1842 .69cal musket was also widely used. These came in both a smoothbore and rifled version.
Truthfully just about every rifle or musket made at the time was pressed into service.
In the early part of the war even flintlock muskets were used. Especially in the western theatre.
1841 Mississippi rifle, 1859 Sharps military rifle would be correct.

If you would prefer to have a cavalry weapon there are a few choices.
1860 Henry
1859 Sharps carbine
Smith carbine

All these are available as reproductions.
Of course original guns are an option as well but they’re very expensive and I do not recommend firing them.
Stay the hell away from the Indian made guns unless you just want a display piece.
Pedersoli makes very nice reproductions IMO.

Dixie Gun Works sells everything you’ll ever need.
Possibles Shop is good
Lodgewood is good
Track of the Wolf is good
Buffalo Arms is good.
Cherry’s Guns is okay hut they overcharge.
You can google “civil war sutlers” to find various vendors that cater to the re-enactors. They’ll have lots of stuff.
Oddly enough these guns rarely show up used. If you’re in civ war country you can haunt the reenactor forums and sometimes find guns for sale at better prices.

Good luck in your quest.
View Quote

This is all the information you need.  One additional note is that the Enfield is blued and the Springfield is 'in the white."  If corrosion matters to you, the Enfield will be easier to maintain.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I recently picked up a Pietta Smith Carbine repro from GB and it works great! While the trigger is heavy (10 lbs at least), it's still accurate and can place 10 rounds in the black with a 40 Grain FFG charge on a 345 grain .515 bullet at 50 Yards. Can ring steel at 100 yards, but its a little bloopy in terms of trajectory. Still, Its great fun to use one and be able to reload a round in less than 10 seconds on a repro carbine including capping time. Nice carbine!
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#26]
No handguns.

If you're infantry, most infantrymen discarded their handguns (and bowie knives) as impediments on the march.

Suggest you find a unit to gwine (join in Civil War parlance) and then get the firearm they recommend for their unit.

If you're freelancing, get a 2 band (33") Enfield rifle and play sharpshooter.  Those guns were reserved for their sharpshooters by both the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia and the Army of Tennessee.  This decision was based on tests of common infantry long arms and they were determined to be the most accurate.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No handguns.

If you're infantry, most infantrymen discarded their handguns (and bowie knives) as impediments on the march.

Suggest you find a unit to gwine (join in Civil War parlance) and then get the firearm they recommend for their unit.

If you're freelancing, get a 2 band (33") Enfield rifle and play sharpshooter.  Those guns were reserved for their sharpshooters by both the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia and the Army of Tennessee.  This decision was based on tests of common infantry long arms and they were determined to be the most accurate.

View Quote

If you insist upon putting forth this information, then please also put forth the primary research source for such. I know for fact that there were lots of Kerr's and Whitworth's being fielded in the CS AOT, both of those were developed as sharpshooter rifles, and were not the same caliber as the standard infantry rifle musket (P53) or the Sergeants rifle (P56).
http://sites.rootsweb.com/~orphanhm/sharpshooters.htm
https://www.historynet.com/sure-shot-confederate-sharpshooters-whitworth.htm

And BTW, the Civil War parlance for join was Jine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Once you’ve decided on the gun, check this site out for cartridges https://www.papercartridges.com/home.html I use Brett’s .550 Boxer Enfield cartridges with my Parker Hale 1858 and they are outstanding, work just as advertised so to speak.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Once you’ve decided on the gun, check this site out for cartridges https://www.papercartridges.com/home.html I use Brett’s .550 Boxer Enfield cartridges with my Parker Hale 1858 and they are outstanding, work just as advertised so to speak.
View Quote

Does he put the wood/clay expansion plug in the base?
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Just as a heads up.

GOEX the leading manufacturer of black powder in the US. shut down operations last week.

Black powder is very scarce and will be for the future.

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just as a heads up.

GOEX the leading manufacturer of black powder in the US. shut down operations last week.

Black powder is very scarce and will be for the future.

View Quote

Not scarce around my house.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Stop bragging... LOL! Some of us have recently got into (or back into) the game and things are scarce for some of us... Be that as it may, I was fortunate enough to be able to order a quantity pf musket caps for my Smith carbine that will keep it shooting for many years... My big bottleneck right now is just projectiles and and also propellant. Bullets I can cast, but I need to secure more BP/Pyrodex/777 in order to make sure I can keep shooting for a long time...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top