Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2019 8:22:15 PM EDT
I picked up a TC Contender G2 pistol a few weeks ago.  Got a good deal on it on GB I thought – 420 bucks for it, with a 10” .45 Colt / 410 barrel.

I’ve been off for work since then, and haven’t shot it.

Recommend some fun setups and configurations for it – some of my ideas are below.

I’d like to get a .357 mag barrel, have it threaded, and with a can and .38 Special ammo have something that sounds like a pop gun.

Does front sight get in the way of threading, such that you have to take it off and go with a red dot and a mount?  This will factor into if I’m OK with some used barrels that have front sights only, for whatever reason.
Is there a rifle barrel in .357, which might be easier to cut and thread to the desired length?
What length of barrel are you all using on a suppressed .357 config?[/li]

I’ve thought about a .44 Mag barrel, but I supposed I could just use hot .45 Colt loads and get something similar for the range – no plans to use it for hunting so the more powerful .44 Mag loads won’t be of benefit.

Another config is a .223 barrel, and do some longer range blasting.  My range has plate targets at 100 yards that I think would be fun to shoot at.

Now the barrels I’ve seen have 1/12 twists – does that along with a short barrel force you into 55 grain ammo, or will 62 and 75 grain ammo loads group fine, ever with less than a full twist?
What’s the blast like on a 10” barrel .223 TC?  It’s not much fun from a SBR AR, so I’d think it’s bad from a pistol as well.[/li]

In general, what’s the recoil like on the TC – as I said I’ve not shot mine yet.  I can’t imagine that 6.8mm or 30-30 loads would be anything but unpleasant to shoot.  I think I’ll pass on the .45-70 config too!

Since mine was made as a pistol, I can kit it up in rifle form as well.  But the barrels seems to be either 10” and 14” for pistols, or Kentucky rifle length style ones for rifles.  I wish they made 16” barrels, for rifle use.

Now, I saw on Midway a rifle stock setup that uses AR buttstocks.  So I’m thinking of getting that an a SB brace, and making a braced pistol out of it and keeping $200 bucks compared to SBRing it.  Anyone brace it?  Does it have the magic 12” of stock to trigger length that ATF seems to allow for pistol brace use?  That set up would be more in line with the intended purpose of a brace, as I could actually see using that to fire the TC one handed, compared to a 7 pound AR with a rifle eye relief scope on it.

Are there any G2 black powder barrels, or are those just for the more modern Encore series, which, correct if wrong, are not compatible with the G2 series?

Any other suggestions on how to set it up?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Lot of questions.
Usually the front sight will have to be moved. You can pay to have it or a new on reattached  if you want sights but most go with a scope or dot.

I hope it’s easier to find contender 357 barrels my Encore has been tough. I’ll probably just end up ordering a custom from MGM. There have been rifle length barrels made and if you’re going to chop it anyway they work fine. The only real difference is handguard length and mounting.

With a 1/12” twist you’re limited to light bullets. I’m planning on cutting mine to either 10 or 12 inches. It will be loud but not as loud as my 10” 500.

A good 45 Colt barrel will do everything a 44 mag barrel will but your combo barrel might not. Is it one of the choked barrels with a vent rib? I honestly don’t know much about the rifling of those barrels. If they did like Taurus and made it shallow to better accommodate the shotshells you might be better starting from scratch with a dedicated 44 or 45 barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 2:14:43 AM EDT
[#2]
A note on the .45/.410 barrel. With .410 shot it’s a lot of fun, and a great chance to shoot skeet with a pistol, but with .45 LC ammo it shoots groups that look a lot more like a shot pattern than anything else. At least that’s been my experience with these barrels and I’ve had 2, one was a 10” that I no longer have and one is a 16” that I still own and shoot from time to time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Look into 357 Maximum Link

If you don't have a 17 HMR it'd be a great barrel to have.

Here's some links to keep you busy.

https://www.eabco.net
https://www.bullberry.com
https://matchgrademachine.com
https://www.bellmtcs.com
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my Super 14 in 44 magnum.  I recently picked up a Super 14 in 22LR...right from the factory it had one screw missing from the front sight and the extractor was for .22 Hornet.  Tried to get it resolved via T/C...the staff at T/C are idiots.  I mean, utter morons.

Deal with Haus of Arms or EABCO or a couple of the other vendors that MateFrio mentioned in his post.  T/C is just a shitstorm of incompetency thanks to the pathetic mismanagement by Smith and Wesson.  If it weren't for Marty at Haus of Arms, I'd be a raving lunatic by now.  To reiterate: NO ONE AT T/C HAS THE SLIGHTEST IDEA ABOUT THE PRODUCT, HOW IT WORKS OR WHAT THE BLOODY HELL THEY ARE DOING.

That being said, I love single shots and I love Contenders, so I am willing to stay in the game.  There are a LOT of great Third Party Support companies for the Contender so it is still a lot of fun.

....and man, are they accurate!!!!  

I am thinking of getting a barrel in .32 Federal Magnum or something neat.  My local shop actually had 5mm Remington Magnum in stock and I nearly bought two boxes just so I could get a T/C barrel made for it or acquire an old one in 5mm.  I have always wanted to play with that bullet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:51:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information, very helpful.

Sorry to hear the 45 / 410 barrels are blunderbusses.  Is the rifling very slow, to get better patterns out of the 410, while making accuracy out of the 45 poor?

I've seen 44 and 357 barrels with chokes in them - do these also have issues with accuracy?  Or do they have decent rifling for use with bullets?  I can see setting the 45 /410 barrel up for shotshell use, but I'd be disappointed if the 44 and 357 were optimized for what are pretty poor shotshell loads instead of for use with bullets.

Also, on my 45 / 410 barrel there's a choke.  Am I correct in saying that the choke needs to be taken out before either using 45 rounds, or 410 with buckshot or slugs?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:52:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the information, very helpful.

Sorry to hear the 45 / 410 barrels are blunderbusses.  Is the rifling very slow, to get better patterns out of the 410, while making accuracy out of the 45 poor?

I've seen 44 and 357 barrels with chokes in them - do these also have issues with accuracy?  Or do they have decent rifling for use with bullets?  I can see setting the 45 /410 barrel up for shotshell use, but I'd be disappointed if the 44 and 357 were optimized for what are pretty poor shotshell loads instead of for use with bullets.

Also, on my 45 / 410 barrel there's a choke.  Am I correct in saying that the choke needs to be taken out before either using 45 rounds, or 410 with buckshot or slugs?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What’s the blast like on a 10” barrel .223 TC?  

In general, what’s the recoil like on the TC – as I said I’ve not shot mine yet.  I can’t imagine that 6.8mm or 30-30 loads would be anything but unpleasant to shoot.  I think I’ll pass on the .45-70 config too!
View Quote
Dating myself here. I had a 14" barrel on my Contender. The blast was louder than from the issue M16A1's. It'll be definitely be worse with a 10" unless a Krinkov style muzzle device is used. Personally, I'd spend the $200 and wait the typical 33 days to Form 1 a can to reduce the blast down to where mere mortals could tolerate it for moar than 2 shots.

I shot a .50 BMG shorty upper on a AR15 lower at an ARFcom meetup. The blast from that was less severe than the 10" 30-30 barrel that the Contender came with. That barrel would cyka slap you and make you go cry in the corner without even asking your name.

The 14" .45-70 barrel on the Contender had less recoil the 30-30 barrel and less blast than the .223 barrel. This was with factory standard 405 grain Winchester Trapdoor safe loads. A bit stiffer with the 300 grain Federal loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top