Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2020 12:23:41 AM EDT
Hello,

Looking for some input on a can for an older rifle.

I have a '13 LMT MWS 308 16''. I am trying to setup for HD configuration (couldn't afford a 300 PDW :D) and am looking for a can that will be quite and reliable. In reading through the interwebs I've learnt that this platform is not the most amenable host, and is somewhat over-gassed to begin with.

I would sincerely appreciate feedback from folks who have a similar rifle. My list of priorities in descending order:

1) Reliable operation
2) Noise reduction (to a point where in a pinch if used without hearing protection, will not result in significant damage to me or those around me)
3) Compatibility (prefer not to have a proprietary mounting mechanism)
4) Size (don't care much about weight, but would be nice if it was not 14' long)

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:25:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations for cans such as:  Omega, Resonator (K), Nomad, Sandman S, Vox, Razor, Socom RC2, TBAC Ultra/Dominus, Recce 7 and others.

What I wanted to add is, if you find your gun/can combo is overgassed, a guy named Clint at Black River Tactical makes some gas tubes with a reduced size gas port that could help you tune the gas system.
https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-EZTUNE-Gas-Tube-LMT-MID-p148504128
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:12:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations for cans such as:  Omega, Resonator (K), Nomad, Sandman S, Vox, Razor, Socom RC2, TBAC Ultra/Dominus, Recce 7 and others.

What I wanted to add is, if you find your gun/can combo is overgassed, a guy named Clint at Black River Tactical makes some gas tubes with a reduced size gas port that could help you tune the gas system.
https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-EZTUNE-Gas-Tube-LMT-MID-p148504128
View Quote

Thanks. The fact that there is a dedicated service for this leads me to believe that I may be chasing a unicorn. I was hoping there would be some can that would work reliably as-is. I don't mind getting hit harder, as long as it cycles reliably. I will definitely keep this in mind. Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah the only one that would work is a can like OSS...

All others will overgas the system that is already pretty overgassed from factory. One reason I got rid of mine, as a lefty...it was just too much.

Another solution is an adjustable gas key...
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
A 16" gun plus any length can is probably going to be too much for a "HD" rifle, which I can only assume means home defense.

Unless you have 6" wide halls or live in a warehouse you'll be working in tight quarters with a carbine that has an OAL of 38" plus the can. That's a lot.

Not to mention the gun is 10lbs empty, no optics, no can. And as you mentioned, pretty gassy to start.

Unless you are sentimentally tied to the gun you'd be much better off with some sort of AR pistol in 5.56/.300 BLK with a can. Making smart choices you can go from 40"+ down to 30" or less- including the can- real quick.

If you still choose to move forward with the MWS, my only recommendation would be something akin to the Sandman K due to length/weight/ gas.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
The CGS Helios QD may be an option because of the vented end caps. I do not know what kind of firing schedule it’ll take in a 308 though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah the only one that would work is a can like OSS...

All others will overgas the system that is already pretty overgassed from factory. One reason I got rid of mine, as a lefty...it was just too much.

Another solution is an adjustable gas key...
View Quote

Copy. I want to have a system that is as close to factory as possible, so as to not alter reliability. I picked the LMT primarily because of its reputation to always cycle, but in this case it's the achilles heel. I probably should have picked another platform to begin with. The thought of being able to use the system without hearing protection didn't occur until I realized that if I am using it for home defense, I probably won't be able to ask everyone involved in the situation to put in ear protection.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A 16" gun plus any length can is probably going to be too much for a "HD" rifle, which I can only assume means home defense.

Unless you have 6" wide halls or live in a warehouse you'll be working in tight quarters with a carbine that has an OAL of 38" plus the can. That's a lot.

Not to mention the gun is 10lbs empty, no optics, no can. And as you mentioned, pretty gassy to start.

Unless you are sentimentally tied to the gun you'd be much better off with some sort of AR pistol in 5.56/.300 BLK with a can. Making smart choices you can go from 40"+ down to 30" or less- including the can- real quick.

If you still choose to move forward with the MWS, my only recommendation would be something akin to the Sandman K due to length/weight/ gas.
View Quote

Yeah all that began to dawn on me after I filled out the paperwork. I am not sentimental about it. But I was told that there is nothing more reliable than a LMT. I figured I would swap out the barrel to a 13.5 with a brake. Then I remembered how loud my Larue 14.5 is with it's brake and thought I should add a suppressor. Instead of putting on more bandaids I think I am at a point where I should just invest in a shorter 5.56 pistol. To be honest weight doesn't bother me too much, but that could change quickly if I had to use a phone with one hand.

Appreciate the feedback, I was somewhat leaning this way, just need to save up now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The CGS Helios QD may be an option because of the vented end caps. I do not know what kind of firing schedule it’ll take in a 308 though.
View Quote

Will keep in mind, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Adding more gas (back pressure from a silencer) to an over gassed gun could easily induce reliability problems with your gun.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah all that began to dawn on me after I filled out the paperwork. I am not sentimental about it. But I was told that there is nothing more reliable than a LMT. I figured I would swap out the barrel to a 13.5 with a brake. Then I remembered how loud my Larue 14.5 is with it's brake and thought I should add a suppressor. Instead of putting on more bandaids I think I am at a point where I should just invest in a shorter 5.56 pistol. To be honest weight doesn't bother me too much, but that could change quickly if I had to use a phone with one hand.

Appreciate the feedback, I was somewhat leaning this way, just need to save up now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that I have it all figured out but my preferred HD setup centers around a suppressed 9" .300 BLK SBR running 120-125gr Supers. Light enough to use one handed if I needed to (ie. leading family members or picking up children). But quiet enough that I can yell and be heard.

There is literally nothing you can do to a .308 to make it not rock eardrums indoors.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's nothing anyone's gonna do with a semi auto 16" 308 that'll hurt a Helios QD.

My recommendation is to use the YHM Kurz kit with the Helios QD if you don't want to use direct thread. It's not coming off either way unless you want it to, but with the YHM Kurz kit installed the OAL including the QD mount is ~7.0". Weight including the muzzle device would be near identical to a Sandman S with its muzzle device. Helios QD is in stock at Silencer Shop, Capitol Armory, and Hansohn Bros.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Adding more gas (back pressure from a silencer) to an over gassed gun could easily induce reliability problems with your gun.
View Quote

Agreed, that's why I was hoping for a can that could alleviate the concern.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not that I have it all figured out but my preferred HD setup centers around a suppressed 9" .300 BLK SBR running 120-125gr Supers. Light enough to use one handed if I needed to (ie. leading family members or picking up children). But quiet enough that I can yell and be heard.

There is literally nothing you can do to a .308 to make it not rock eardrums indoors.
View Quote

That is true, I wasn't expecting long term hearing safe. Just hoping not to permanently deafen people around me. A shorter AR pistol is becoming more appealing. I am thinking the shorter 13.5 barrell might make the gas issues and noise worse.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There's nothing anyone's gonna do with a semi auto 16" 308 that'll hurt a Helios QD.

My recommendation is to use the YHM Kurz kit with the Helios QD if you don't want to use direct thread. It's not coming off either way unless you want it to, but with the YHM Kurz kit installed the OAL including the QD mount is ~7.0". Weight including the muzzle device would be near identical to a Sandman S with its muzzle device. Helios QD is in stock at Silencer Shop, Capitol Armory, and Hansohn Bros.
View Quote

I am not highly concerned about suppressor life. I am worried though that the excess pressure will chew components faster.

I see them in stock, any idea how long the 4 is taking these days?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cool. Nice to know.

I have one on order direct through you guys. Just waiting on delivery to start my paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#16]
For HD, I would have picked a 9mm PCC: MP5, Scorpion, Stribog etc...put a suppressor on and be done...

A .308 for HD is just too much...IMHO and would only use one if that was my last resort....

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For HD, I would have picked a 9mm PCC: MP5, Scorpion, Stribog etc...put a suppressor on and be done...

A .308 for HD is just too much...IMHO and would only use one if that was my last resort....

View Quote

Based on the feedback I'm seeing over here, I agree. I was perhaps being naive in trying to repurpose a tool meant for a completely different application. I had never thought of a 9mm carbine. I'll do some research, though I was leaning towards an AR pistol.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#18]
If you ever come to my part of Florida, I’ll let you shoot my 11” OSW FAL under a covered awning. Might want to wear a dusk mask and goggles after you start cleaning out the eaves even with the can on.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you ever come to my part of Florida, I’ll let you shoot my 11” OSW FAL under a covered awning. Might want to wear a dusk mask and goggles after you start cleaning out the eaves even with the can on.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31823/28F5E48C-72C9-4D77-BD18-62CCFF9C1604-1579159.jpg
View Quote

Thanks. I've got dealings in Tampa, so I may take you up on that.

RSO at my local range has a FAL that he was shooting this weekend with some type of unique QD brake setup. It was fairly loud, and that is me being generous with 2 layers of ears.

I can't imagine any of these setups being hearing safe, maybe the solution is to simply keep hearing protection next to whatever choice of weapon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Cool. Nice to know.

I have one on order direct through you guys. Just waiting on delivery to start my paperwork.
View Quote

Thanks for buying, we appreciate it. I'd assume it's not too far out. There are a ton of them that shipped out and there are many more being built in various stages.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Based on the feedback I'm seeing over here, I agree. I was perhaps being naive in trying to repurpose a tool meant for a completely different application. I had never thought of a 9mm carbine. I'll do some research, though I was leaning towards an AR pistol.
View Quote

To me, a 9mm PCC is the perfect HD setup...especially coupled with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

To me, a 9mm PCC is the perfect HD setup...especially coupled with a suppressor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until you start looking at terminal ballistics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top