Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2018 6:40:18 AM EDT
Loaded 175 rounds of 308 that apparently the case is still just a tad too long after trimming. Guess who gets to pull 175 rounds and try again? Recommend me a bullet puller. I have an inertia/kinetic buy looking to upgrade. Collet style perhaps?
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller

Or on the cheap
GRIP-N-PULL
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#3]
+1

I have the Forster bonanza since the mid 1980’s.  If the hornady was around then I would have got that.   It’s a handier design.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#4]
We went with the Hornady too based on old topics it seemed to be the most popular.  
It works great for 308 & 223.

IIRC none of them seemed to work very well for lead pistol bullets from what i read??
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We went with the Hornady too based on old topics it seemed to be the most popular.  
It works great for 308 & 223.

IIRC none of them seemed to work very well for lead pistol bullets from what i read??
View Quote
The bare lead tends to mar and slip the collet. It’s too malleable.  When asked I always say have a collet type and a hammer type on hand.  You eventually will need both.   A bunch of .308 jacketed the op is asking about is tailor made for the hornady or other collet type.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#8]
RCBS for me because the Hornady in 45 caliber collet cracks.

If you won’t pull 44/45, the Hornady is easier to use.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Bullet puller

Their are other brands but the pliers style is nice and fast.
Wirth some Rosin in the hole it will even hold lead.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I had to disassemble about a hundred rounds.  I bought one of these because the cam-lock type was out of stock at that time.  I don't regret it at all.  Once set for the caliber, a tiny twist of the handle holds the bullet tightly.  I really can't imagine the cam lock being significantly better or faster.

Link Posted: 7/8/2018 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had to disassemble about a hundred rounds.  I bought one of these because the cam-lock type was out of stock at that time.  I don't regret it at all.  Once set for the caliber, a tiny twist of the handle holds the bullet tightly.  I really can't imagine the cam lock being significantly better or faster.

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/252x189/primary/680/680804.jpg
View Quote
Same here.....RCBS with the right collet makes pulling bullets without damage a breeze..
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Try the rcbs bullet puller.  It is super easy to use though you must buy a separate collet for every caliber.  I bought the Hornady camlock first but was never able to get it to work.  It is still sitting on my desk.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/252x189/primary/680/680804.jpg
View Quote
I don’t know how anyone could say the Hornady is better than this
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Were the cam lock is faster, is that you can over loosen the screw type locks to end up with the collect jaws on the case neck with them open too much, not on the the bullet just above the case neck , so this will slow you down.
View Quote
Well, I guess mistakes can be made with anything, especially on your first try with a new die.  Still, that would qualify as a mistake in my book, something to be learned from, remedied and never repeated.

The handle swings about half a turn from loose to tight enough to pull a bullet.  Once you understand that, it's hard to goof it up.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Bought a rcbs collet puller. Nothing against hornady, I've just been thoroughly impressed with rcbs dies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top