Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2020 5:23:19 PM EDT
Sorry, this isn't exactly a direct gunsmithing question, but what I'm working on is gun related

The short story is I inherited a 1966 South Bend 16x60 lathe when my father died 10 years ago, my lathe skill is novice, and my tool grinding skill is zero.

It looks similar to this, but a slightly larger model:

I've got a few cutting tools for it, but some are dull, some are broken, and none are the shape I need.

I've got some blanks labeled 10% cobalt, but not sure what I need to cut them with.

Is there a wheel I could get for an 8" grinder that would work for this?

I tried doing some google searches, but the descriptions of all the different type of grinding materials was very detailed in what it's made of, not much help for what it's made for.
Of coarse a lot of them are not made for a home shop level bench grinder.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#1]
For grinding HSS tools I have been generally recommended the Aluminum Oxide wheel in a very soft binding, Typical "38A" or white colored wheels at 60grit.
Green (silicon carbide) wheels are typically used for solid carbide tools.

Can't say that I'm a good enough to notice the difference between the White wheels and the Gray general purpose ones, but acceptable results were achieved when resharpening basic lathe tools.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By silentpea:
For grinding HSS tools I have been generally recommended the Aluminum Oxide wheel in a very soft binding, Typical "38A" or white colored wheels at 60grit.
Green (silicon carbide) wheels are typically used for solid carbide tools.

Can't say that I'm a good enough to notice the difference between the White wheels and the Gray general purpose ones, but acceptable results were achieved when resharpening basic lathe tools.
View Quote

I would use 80-100 grit for sharpening tool bits. Use 60 grit for shaping the rough shape you need.
Either gray or white aluminum oxide is what you want.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Being newer to tool sharpening, I'd suggest both course and fine.  60 and 100 for starters.  Otherwise I found myself getting frustrated with spending an hour or more to grief one tool.  Likely the course option would just lead to a poor grind and a poor cutting tool.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#4]
On top of what others have said, you can use a diamond knife sharpener to touch up or put that final sharp edge on blanks. HSS sharpened to a fine edge puts a beautiful finish on what you are turning.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info everyone.

I have a 60 and 100 grit Norton White Aluminum Oxide wheels on the way.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the white better as well for grinding HSS tools as it's easier to see the tool edge against it
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure you take your time and cool the tool tip OFTEN.  That is some real hard steel and it will take some time to put a good edge on it.  If you destroy the temper you are no better off than cold rolled steel.   You didn't mention the steel dimensions so I'm guessing 1/4x1/4 or 3/8x3/8  It will heat up fast if it is.  

kwg
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
You also need a tool to dress the wheel on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For grinding HSS tools I have been generally recommended the Aluminum Oxide wheel in a very soft binding, Typical "38A" or white colored wheels at 60grit.
Green (silicon carbide) wheels are typically used for solid carbide tools.

Can't say that I'm a good enough to notice the difference between the White wheels and the Gray general purpose ones, but acceptable results were achieved when resharpening basic lathe tools.
View Quote

Aluminum Oxide is made as 'friable' meaning it easily releases
grit from the stone as it is used.
This helps with cooling during grinding, but means you
MUST dress the stone more often (shortening its useful  life)
to maintain the shape you want.

White AlOx are in this group.

The grey silicon carbide are very hard, and not friable.
They can easily overheat thin section like a typical HSS lathe cutter
that comes to a point or sharp edge.

I have enough diamond tooling around (coated steel flats and paddles)
for touching up carbide to also use it for the final polish on HSS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top