Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2018 2:09:29 PM EDT
I have a WWII theme going on in my office and want to shadowbox a WWII era rifle, preferably American, on one of the walls. Are there any affordable examples out there anymore? Not looking for a collector piece, and non-matching numbers don't bother me, but I would like to be able to take it out and fire it every once in a while. I remember M1 Carbines used to be pretty cheap, but last I checked they were going for $500+ each. I already have a Mosin Nagant, Styer M95, K31, and Spanish Mauser, but would rather go with an American rifle.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you consider "affordable"?  There aren't any genuine WW2 US rifles that routinely sell for less than $500, which based on your comment regarding M1 Carbines, seems to be what you're looking for.

The most widely-used US service rifles of WW2, including M1 Carbines, M1 Garands, M1903s, and M1903A3, are all typically $700+ in good condition.  Sometimes much higher.

A Field Grade M1 Garand from the CMP would be worth considering.  They're $630, but they'll be in somewhat rough condition.  (Rack Grade M1 Garands from the CMP are even cheaper, but are very rough condition, and they're currently sold out of those anyway.)  But it's worth the extra $100 for a $730 Service Grade M1 Garand, if you can afford it.

You might be able to find a postwar commercial copy of the M1 Carbine for around $500, like an Iver Johnson or Universal.  It won't have the history of a real USGI carbine, and quality/reliability is hit or miss among all the various commercial manufacturers, but it could be close enough for display purposes.

M1917s tend to be the most affordable USGI rifles from that time period.  You can sometimes find those in decent condition for $500-$600, if you keep your eyes open.  They were used primarily during WW1, but they continued on in limited use during WW2, for training purposes and to arm second/third line troops.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, sounds like I've missed the boat then. I was shooting for $350 max, but I may have to shelve this for a later time. I suppose I could display one of the other rifles for now, and then replace it later with a US rifle.

I think Century had barreled receiver M1 Carbines a while back for under $300, I'm kicking myself now for missing those.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]
CMP had non firing Garand drill rifles for $380.  They currently sold out though.

Edit,. Nevermind, just saw you want to shoot it occasionally
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CMP had non firing Garand drill rifles for $380.  They currently sold out though.

Edit,. Nevermind, just saw you want to shoot it occasionally
View Quote
Still solid advice. A Service Grade CMP Garand at $730 is money well spent.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
CMP Garand is your best bet.

M1917s used to be inexpensive. I remember seeing them for $350-400 back in the day, when they were the black sheep of the US martial rifle family. No more. You will have to dig to find one sub-$800 these days.

Carbines have gone through the roof. Mixmasters of less-common makers (Rock-Ola, IBM, etc) will pull over a grand.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Still solid advice. A Service Grade CMP Garand at $730 is money well spent.
View Quote
OP might as well spend the $730, it won't go down in value.
The Mosin M44s I bought just a couple years ago for $150 are going for $300 now.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I would keep an eye out for a sporterized rifle. While they can be projects and cost more in the long run there is something that is satisfying to me about restoring an old war horse. I will be starting a thread my next one soon, early 1903.

Sporter 1903s often go for very little. Sporter Krags can be had for around $500.

Also, in general early 1903s are cheap. Aside from the whole not safe to shoot thing. I shoot mine with M2 or light loads.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would keep an eye out for a sporterized rifle. While they can be projects and cost more in the long run there is something that is satisfying to me about restoring an old war horse. I will be starting a thread my next one soon, early 1903.

Sporter 1903s often go for very little. Sporter Krags can be had for around $500.

Also, in general early 1903s are cheap. Aside from the whole not safe to shoot thing. I shoot mine with M2 or light loads.
View Quote
I hadn't even thought of finding a sporterized rifle, that would make a fun project.

Is anyone currently offering stripped receivers for any of the US rifles?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#9]
How about a MAS 36? They are cheap and widely available. Ammo is easy to find as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe an Enfield of some flavor. The typical price range is where you want to be and a nice SMLE just scream history.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How about a MAS 36? They are cheap and widely available. Ammo is easy to find as well.
View Quote
I remember those days... they tend to fetch 750-1000 now

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/745126406
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
An example with no import mark that has not been re-arsenaled is going to bring more coin. You an find examples for less than $500 pretty easily.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
An example with no import mark that has not been re-arsenaled is going to bring more coin. You an find examples for less than $500 pretty easily.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

true true
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Arisakas are stiff cheap, I know a guy selling a few cheap.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the cmp is the best plan for op, unless you find an older guy getting rid of stuff locally. I find pretty decent deals locally at the pawn shops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top