Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2021 9:01:40 AM EDT
I need a bullet weight and shape recommendation.
I have put off ordering a few thousand 9mm projectiles, and I see the long wait times. I had better get going now.

I will be shooting in a Shield, a couple Glock clones, and an AR PCC. The Glock-ish pistols all have aftermarket barrels, presumably with conventional rifling.

These loads will be used to mess around in the back yard, mostly steel targets. My goal is low cost, good function in the guns we have, reasonable accuracy, and lots of load data.

I am loading single stage for now, but I have a Dillon 550 to get the cartridge conversion for.
I have a lot of Unique, Bullseye, and 231.

I see round nose, conical, SWC, groove-less. Is there a no-brainer choice of shape and weight for me?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#1]
here

get the 4000 box of 115 and GTG  use  the W 231
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't go wrong with a RN.

Lube groves or not.

120 to 147grs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I've used thousands of ACME bullets with great success, LGS stocked them up until now, bought out and usable to get resupply. I think they're available online.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#4]
DG Bullets
Acme Bullet if they have them in stock.
Blue Bullets
Not powder coated but I've had good luck with Los Bullets

I tend to like 124 grain over TiteGroup since it's cheap and usually available but other powders and weights are fine.  Might want to see how they work in your guns before ordering several thousand of a particular brand and shape.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Blue Bullets.  125 grain RN’s is my favorite. No leading and pretty accurate. I buy in bulk and have had zero problems
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Why powder coated?  They require more care in case flair and crimp to avoid lead fowling.  Often recommended to use special dies.
Instead, I've been using copper plated round nose from Xtreme.  Plenty of inventory, reasonably priced, immediate shipment.  Just received another order.
More importantly, easy to set up for loading!  No special dies, no fiddling with extra case mouth flair, no concern about minimal crimp.
Blue bullets look cool, and may be a bit cheaper.
But my copper plated round nose were so simple to set up and load, that changing over to coated wasn't worth the hassle.
Just something for you to consider...
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
here
View Quote

3-4 month-long wait to ship.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The problem with many powder-coated RN bullets is that the ogive is too "blunt" and not "pointy" like FMJ and plated bullets. In guns with tight chambers (CZ, M&P's, Gen5 Glocks, Rugers, etc.) that if you load a RN PC bullet to the same COAL as an FMJ very often the round will not chamber because the barrel rifling is biting into the bullet (not enough clearance) and so you must seat the bullet deeper...in many case a LOT deeper...to get that clearance. Then you have to worry about pressure.

Save yourself the headache and go with some sort of cone bullet.

One exception might be ACME's RN bullets which have been re-designed to be "pointier". Unfortunately they're perpetually OOS.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why powder coated?  They require more care in case flair and crimp to avoid lead fowling.  Often recommended to use special dies.
Instead, I've been using copper plated round nose from Xtreme.  Plenty of inventory, reasonably priced, immediate shipment.  Just received another order.
More importantly, easy to set up for loading!  No special dies, no fiddling with extra case mouth flair, no concern about minimal crimp.
But my copper plated round nose were so simple to set up and load, that changing over to coated wasn't worth the hassle.
View Quote

Given they are in stock now might be worth it if you need them now....however their prices quite frankly suck.  If I'm paying over 10 cents for a 9mm projectile it better be jacketed not plated.

RMR has great jacketed bullets but the wait time is pretty steep right now.

I like Blue Bullets for coated but their lead times are pretty steep right now too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy horsecrap Batman, what the hell have you been smokin'?

Nothing wrong with Xtreme bullets, I've reloaded thousands, but the rest of the stuff you're spouting is just pants on head retarded dude.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#12]
You can shoot PC bullets in Glock barrels.  I have been doing it for 6+ months.

If I needs bullets, I cast them.  No ordering for me anymore.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The problem with many powder-coated RN bullets is that the ogive is too "blunt" and not "pointy" like FMJ and plated bullets. In guns with tight chambers (CZ, M&P's, Gen5 Glocks, Rugers, etc.) that if you load a RN PC bullet to the same COAL as an FMJ very often the round will not chamber because the barrel rifling is biting into the bullet (not enough clearance) and so you must seat the bullet deeper...in many case a LOT deeper...to get that clearance. Then you have to worry about pressure.

One exception might be ACME's RN bullets which have been re-designed to be "pointier". Unfortunately they're perpetually OOS.

View Quote

Did you mess with the few I gave you?   Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

this

true stuff
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Try these Bullets . In stock and shipping.
I’ve shot thousands of the 125’s and 147’s in all manner of pistols and PCCs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Did you mess with the few I gave you?   Thoughts?
View Quote

I have yet to mess with them....but I eventually will.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I found this out today, now I need to seat 2400 of them deeper to function correctly compared to say a 124gr Berry's HBRN bullet. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:11:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You can shoot PC bullets in Glock barrels.  I have been doing it for 6+ months.
View Quote

20+ years for me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I like The Blue Bullets 125gr truncated cone and it's all I use in 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#21]
just got my order from Bayou that i placed Dec 2;
worth the wait from the first ones i loaded (90gr RN in .380)
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those are a polymer coating.  PC is harder.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, SNS Casting 125gr conical nose.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#24]
I just got a Lee 356-120-TC bullet mold.  From what I read here it sounds like it should be good for powder coating because it is a truncated cone design.  I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I am looking forward to it.  I'm new to bullet casting, but it should be a lot of fun.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#25]
These guys come up in the reloading discord as in stock all the time. I have no experience with them.

I have used SNS 124 RN and wasn't thrilled with them. Had to seat them really deep 1.08" if I remember correctly, and they leaded my comp up pretty bad. I would be willing to try their conical nose in a gun without a comp though.

However, I was able to get several thousand Berry's around 8 cents each, so that's what I'm loading for now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm at 4 months awaiting on Bayou to send my order. They had not trouble taking my money.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm at 4 months awaiting on Bayou to send my order. They had not trouble taking my money.
View Quote

Ya that is what they are saying with lead times.  Most people don't understand that most credit card processors will only hold an authorization for a week otherwise it expires.

Now I can't say if their website said this when you ordered but it's not uncommon practice at all.

"I understand that my credit card will be charged when my order is placed."  Highlighted in yellow right on the homepage.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Sent IM
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I found this out today, now I need to seat 2400 of them deeper to function correctly compared to say a 124gr Berry's HBRN bullet. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152407/20210425_182739_jpg-1919228.JPG
View Quote

I have some from Missouri bullets that have that same profile.
Not only did I need to seat them deeper than needed, they leaded in about everything too.
I also tried that Lee 124gr tc back when I was still using Lee lube on them.
I never had much luck.
So I have a bunch that I powder coated which I'll try again.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I cast and powdercoat my own bullets using a Lee 124grn RN mold and Titegroup powder. These loads run great in everything I've feed it to.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmm interesting. I have been loading 115gr. RN from Blue Bullets, ACME, Bayou and never had an issue with any of my Gen 3, 4 or 5 Glocks, or any other handgun for that matter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just happened to me with some Eggleston 125 gn. I've got a lot of bullets to breakdown. CZ75 SPO1
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I got some 125 TC Blue Bullets (0.356)  So far so good.  They loaded easy with no need for a special expander for the Dillion.  First time trying coated bullets.  Was using Precision Delta 124 HPs, but too expensive for now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Are the blue bullet coatings still giving smurf fingers or have they figured that out? Thats the reason I switched to BBI and have been happy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Coated bullets are significantly cheaper than Xtreme.

I just priced 1000 115 gr RN bullets.  

From Xtreme it would cost $133 to my door.  

1000 DG powder coated bullets are $76 to my door.  

That’s about 42% less money.  That’s definitely worth whatever additional work it takes to load coated bullets for me.

When I switch to a new bullet in any load I start with some dummy rounds to verify COAL.  So switching from 115 FMJ to 115 coated is no different than any other change.  

Using an M Die isn’t required for coated bullets, but I prefer it.  The savings for coated bullets are so high that buying an M Die means that first order of coated bullets + M die is still cheaper than the Xtreme bullets.

Running some numbers  makes it pretty clear why high volume shooters are switching to coated bullets instead of using plated.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's about 42% less money.  That's definitely worth whatever additional work it takes to load coated bullets for me.

When I switch to a new bullet in any load I start with some dummy rounds to verify COAL.  So switching from 115 FMJ to 115 coated is no different than any other change.  

Using an M Die isn't required for coated bullets, but I prefer it.  The savings for coated bullets are so high that buying an M Die means that first order of coated bullets + M die is still cheaper than the Xtreme bullets.

Running some numbers  makes it pretty clear why high volume shooters are switching to coated bullets instead of using plated.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's about 42% less money.  That's definitely worth whatever additional work it takes to load coated bullets for me.

Using an M Die isn't required for coated bullets, but I prefer it.  The savings for coated bullets are so high that buying an M Die means that first order of coated bullets + M die is still cheaper than the Xtreme bullets.

Yea, there is a reason they are still in stock,13 cents for a plated bullet  I can get actual jacketed for 11 cents if I want to wait.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are the blue bullet coatings still giving smurf fingers or have they figured that out? Thats the reason I switched to BBI and have been happy.
View Quote

Hands stay nice and clean now

They are the only coated bullet I've had luck with....granted when I was trying out the other brands I was relatively new to reloading so it may have just been me having issues with the other brands.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yea, there is a reason they are still in stock,13 cents for a plated bullet  I can get actual jacketed for 11 cents if I want to wait.
View Quote

RMR are like $90/k for jacketed.  Before all this mess I think they were sub $80.

Xtreme isn't a good deal unless you got in on one of their Black Friday sales in the past and even then coated would still be cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just a bit, wipes off easy.  I read it's better than they were in the past.

The coating handles over crimping well.  In my tests to set the crimp, when I pulled a bullet nothing flaked off or looked cut with a heavy crimp.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

RMR are like $90/k for jacketed.  Before all this mess I think they were sub $80.

Xtreme isn't a good deal unless you got in on one of their Black Friday sales in the past and even then coated would still be cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone though I had money to burn when I was shooting Precision Delta 124 HPs for USPSA.  Look at you money bags, shooting hollow points.  I tell them they are only 8 cents each, they where .

The one thing thing I failed to stack deep. I would only buy 2k at a time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#41]
https://www.brazosprecision.com/9mm-125gr-Round-NoseBevel-BaseNo-Groove-approx-820ct-005bullet_p_73.html

This is the only coated 9mm bullet I load at the moment.  Brazos does fine work.

I also use their Bullets in .38/.357, .44, and .45 ACP.

Even though the inventory status says “back order” go ahead and buy.  They usually fill back orders within a couple weeks.  Website says something like 0-6 weeks but they’re being conservative.

And hey, why do we shoot coated Bullets?  Because they’re CHEAP and there’s no exposed lead.  The link takes you to a 5 cent bullet.  This is just about the cheapest way to shoot unless you cast your own.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My “regular” load for almost every pistol caliber I reload involves a RMR in-house jacketed bullet.  

I’m still loading some, but I’ve loaded almost all my stockpile and I’m starting to use coated to spell me between the multi-month wait between RMR back orders.

I wish I could go back in time and buy more projectiles instead of sone of the goofy stuff I bought due to GD threads
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My “regular” load for almost every pistol caliber I reload involves a RMR in-house jacketed bullet.  

I’m still loading some, but I’ve loaded almost all my stockpile and I’m starting to use coated to spell me between the multi-month wait between RMR back orders.

I wish I could go back in time and buy more projectiles instead of sone of the goofy stuff I bought due to GD threads
View Quote

Right I bought 12k of the 124gr RMR JHP a year and a half or so ago for just under $80k delivered...wish I would have bought double.  Down to 6k and those will be loaded up soon.

Probably going to switch over to Blue Bullets for awhile.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I get Acme 125gr hitek RN bullets but I can never time getting them from Acme. They get bought up too fast. I get the Acme bullets now from Titan Reloading for the same price.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Great thread .
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I just got a shipment of 45 caliber bullets from Acme . A lot of them have bare lead showing and the coating can easily be scraped off with your fingernail. Easily as in just rubbing it . Poor quality control.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just got a shipment of 45 caliber bullets from Acme . A lot of them have bare lead showing and the coating can easily be scraped off with your fingernail. Easily as in just rubbing it . Poor quality control.
View Quote

I know they have been around awhile...hopefully they'll make it right.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Ya that is what they are saying with lead times.  Most people don't understand that most credit card processors will only hold an authorization for a week otherwise it expires.

Now I can't say if their website said this when you ordered but it's not uncommon practice at all.

"I understand that my credit card will be charged when my order is placed."  Highlighted in yellow right on the homepage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a security standpoint that's actually a good thing. You don't want your CC info to hang around on their servers for months at a time.

OK, here's the tech content: Bayou makes some very nice bullets.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top