Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2018 11:14:03 PM EDT
I'm not a real big knife person and I don't know a lot about all the different offerings.

I have a Spyderco Tenacious but I find myself carrying my little Kershaw Shuffle 2 way more often due to size.

What I'd like is a knife the size of the Shuffle with the build quality and tightness of the Spyderco. It would be awesome if was assisted opening or auto or maybe some bearings to make it open smooth. If someone made a Shuffle with a better build and G10 I'd jump on that.

I do have a Spyderco Dragonfly with G10 scales and a Spyderco Delica 4 or something like that with plastic scales.

I much prefer the feel of the G10 scales. I think they make it feel like a quality item.

Noticed the ZT 0350 but that seems a bit big and probably heavy.

Any recommendations? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Zt0566 but it's bigger than the shuffle.
Spyderco paramilitary 3 if you don't mind the spydie hole.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zt0566 but it's bigger than the shuffle.
Spyderco paramilitary 3 if you don't mind the spydie hole.
View Quote
The ZT looks a bit big. I don't see many options with the things I'm looking for.

2.5-3" blade, assisted or auto, slim profile, solid feel, nice grips.

There was ZT0350BW on the EE for a decent price. I should have just tried that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Kershaw LEEK with G10 scales...?

Carry a version of Kershaw assisted opening knife almost everyday.  Keep a decent edge, durable, easy to open and won't make you cry if/when you lose it!
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Kershaw LEEK with G10 scales...?

Carry a version of Kershaw assisted opening knife almost everyday.  Keep a decent edge, durable, easy to open and won't make you cry if/when you lose it!
View Quote
Looks like a possibility but I don't see the Kershaw G10 Leek S30V assisted being made anymore. Appears out of stock everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Benchmade 531. Slim, light, G10, axis lock...
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Looks like a possibility but I don't see the Kershaw G10 Leek S30V assisted being made anymore. Appears out of stock everywhere.
View Quote
I wouldn't consider the leek to be a "sturdy" folder. It's to thin for EDC and normal use. Try the BLur. Great knive for a great price. Everyone I know who's handled one pics up a couple of them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Spyderco makes a smaller version of the Tenacious called the Persistence.
Same 8Cr13MoV steel, clip, G10 scales, but with a 2.75" blade.

Not a bad knife for an import. about $40.00
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Benchmade 531. Slim, light, G10, axis lock...
View Quote
That's not bad at all.

Any thoughts on the Benchmade Mini Barrage?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight in BD1 for around $85.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Mini grip. Axis lock is quick as assisted and they are a smaller knife.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#11]
If you can deal with a 3.25" blade, take a look at the Realsteel "Gerfalcon". Blows away anything you'll get from Kershaw or Spyderco for under $100 and costs less than your Tenascious.

Stay away from Kershaw's assisted Chinese knives now. They no longer use detents, and switched from bronze to poly bushings. Most oif their new knives are the equivalent to 420J2 steel now too. My last Kershaw's would barely open with the assist. Kershaw is crap now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Benchmade 470-1.  Not G10 but very nice.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 3:59:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I love my mini griptilian 556BK-1. G10 scales, slim, easy to open. Sharp as a mother out the box

Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you can deal with a 3.25" blade, take a look at the Realsteel "Gerfalcon". Blows away anything you'll get from Kershaw or Spyderco for under $100 and costs less than your Tenascious.
View Quote
That's not a bad looking folder:

And on sale right now for under $50: Real Steel H5 Gerfalcon

I just did a quick search for spring-assisted folders, 2-3" blades with G10 scales (it came up with 43): A few to view
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I need to find a place that stocks a lot of these things.

Thought I was set on the Benchmade Mini Barrage. Walked into a bass pro and they had one! Wasn't a fan after holding it. Same with the mini grip. I prefer flat G10 handles, not the rounded profile like these have. Also realized what people are saying about the Benchmade axis being fast as a spring assisted. Not sure I even want an assisted Benchmade as a regular one is easier to close as well.

That Gerfalcon doesn't look bad.

Any thoughts on a ZT 0770CF?

I get the feeling I might get a couple new knives out of this.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wouldn't consider the leek to be a "sturdy" folder. It's to thin for EDC and normal use. Try the BLur. Great knive for a great price. Everyone I know who's handled one pics up a couple of them.
View Quote
Well I haven't broken one yet and carry use daily.  But I am also not fast roping in with my trusty LEEK in hand so...

Depends what you want to do with it.

I would hazard an educated guess the VAST majority of us are using our EDC folders to open more Pop-Tart wrappers or new boxes of goodies form the happy brown truck than baton'ing wood to start that emergency fire to save your life or prying open the turret hatch on a damaged MRAP.

All kidding aside, the LEEK has performed as expected for many years.  Holds a good edge (for the price point and metal make-up), is very quick to open, readily available (well, maybe not the G10 anymore) and right around $50.

Kershaw warranty is top-notch.

YMMV.

Cheers all,
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Protech Godson 3" auto

Protech Emerson CQC 3.25" auto

Boker Kwaiken Mini 3" flipper

Boker Kwaiken 3.5"  flipper

Microtech LUDT 3.4" auto

Spyderco Yohimbe 3.25"

Benchmade 940 axis 3.5"

Gerber Covert mini auto 3"

Gerber Covert auto 3.7"
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Think I've settled on a ZT 0770CF. Going to try to find a used one at a decent price as I think it will still be a bit bigger than I'd like. If you have experience with one I'd like to hear it.

May also grab one of those real steel ones listed above.

May even run around a bit later and see if any local shops have any.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd highly recommend a Spyderco Techno.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd highly recommend a Spyderco Techno.
View Quote
I moved way past this thread already....LOL... also added but not pictured below a ZT0566, a Kershaw Launch 4, and have a Factor Iconic CF coming. Sold the ZT0460 that I just bought as well. Hated it. Also picked up a used KME sharpening system and love that thing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 4:10:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Benchmade Mini Grip, with the Axis lock it doesn’t get any sturdier unless you get a fixed blade.

Link Posted: 3/22/2018 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Pro-Tech Brend, it's a great auto folder.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Kershaw Shuffle DIY seems pretty cool imo, I'd wait until they pop up onto Massdrop, because they already have the standard Shuffle.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#25]
HOGUE.  Not sure of your price point, but their quality is exceptional/tolerances are equal to or better than ZT, Spyderco, or Benchmade.  The Microswitch autos come in a couple of sizes (and of course colors if that matters):

Blades are just under 2" or just over 2.5".  They weight the same or less than the Kershaw Shuffle...and they're autos

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#26]
These are mine and I've been extremely happy with both of them.

" />
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top