Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2020 3:20:51 PM EDT
Building a 10/22 (non takedown) into a Kidd receiver and looking to see who makes decent lightweight barrels?

I had a factory 10/22 with a TacSol barrel many years ago that shot decent.  But got rid of it to fund a .22lr AR build, which sucked.  

Looking for lightweight, 16" length, threaded for use with my suppressor 1/2-28, and backup irons are always a nice feature to have.

Who else makes good lightweight barrels now?  Gun is mostly a plinker, end of the world gun and a teaching gun for the kids.  I figure having iron sights will also give me the ability to teach the kids how to use iron sights since I don't have any rimfires with iron sights.

I of course defaulted to TacSol so I see they have a X-ring, 16", Threaded, Fluted, Open Sights at 15 ounces.  Does Tac Sol still make decent stuff?  I remember the barrel was incredibly light.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just buy a Kidd barrel if I was building a setup and wanted to stay light weight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
yes Tacsol is still GTG

Whistle Pig barrels are GTG too if they have what ya need
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I got a Kidd and it's great. Well worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
While I did consider Kidd for a moment since they have some of the same features as the TacSol, but it is twice as heavy.

I like the idea of keeping as light as possible so that kids can carry it.

But I will keep them in mind as it does make sense to keep all Kidd parts since I am intending Kidd receiver and bolt.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I did consider Kidd for a moment since they have some of the same features as the TacSol, but it is twice as heavy.

But I will keep them in mind as it does make sense to keep all Kidd parts since I am intending Kidd receiver and bolt.
View Quote

I have not looked at TacSol lately but Kidd makes an ultralight (sleeved IIRC) that is very lightweight.  

You can even buy it from Kidd on ebay;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KIDD-16-5-Ultra-L-W-Fluted-Barrel-for-a-10-22-or-Ruger-Silver-Thread-Cap/293501481591?

Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Part of that reason is Kidd uses a steel shank / breach face. Where the others like TacSol and Whistle Pig are aluminum.  I'd prefer to have a steel shank / breach face at a cost of a little extra weight. I'd imagine it would hold up a lot better to repeated impacts from a steel bolt.

Even Volquartson uses a steel shank on their ultra lite carbon fiber barrels.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I installed a Volquartson ultra lite carbon fiber barrel on one of my 10/22’s.   Very impressed with the accuracy and weight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The Volquartson barrels are quite spendy, I was hoping to keep costs around ~200.  Weight also isn't listed in on their website.

I don't know why I thought the Kidd Ultralite was not available threaded, which is why I overlooked it.

But the Kidd Ultralite with a threaded barrel checks off a lot on my list.  It sits at 20 oz. vs the 15 oz. on the TacSol which isn't a deal breaker.  The Kidd UL is also $55 cheaper than the TacSol.

What are my options to attach iron sights to a  Kidd receiver?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#9]
My KIDD Ultra Lightweight Fluted is a hammer at 50 yards. It’ll put 10 rounds of CCI SV into a single sub-moa hole. $203 for a threaded barrel of this quality is a steal.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a tac sol barrel that shoots 5 shot 1/2” groups at 50 yards, and could not be happier.  That said, the Kidd version looks nice too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I installed a Volquartson ultra lite carbon fiber barrel on one of my 10/22’s.   Very impressed with the accuracy and weight.
View Quote

This

I have an older Magnum Research carbon fiber barrel and a 10/22 that shoots great and is light weight, but it has a factory comp on it, so no threaded end.

Also have a TacSol aluminum barreled 10/22 that was great, but after 5k round the breach face started to look deformed.

ETA - Proof Research has a carbon firer 10/22 barrel available, but they look spendy
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Also have a TacSol aluminum barreled 10/22 that was great, but after 5k round the breach face started to look deformed.

ETA - Proof Research has a carbon firer 10/22 barrel available, but they look spendy
View Quote

Weight isn't the only goal since the chassis will without a doubt add weight.  I was aiming more for anything lighter than a full steel barrel really.  I could have certainly went the route of CF barrels, but they were $300+ for all of them.  My 1st 10/22 I built years ago the goal was lightweight, but it was a factory receiver in a Butler Creek stock.  So I didn't have high aspirations of cloverleafing groups. But given the use of mostly Kidd parts in this build I chose to end up with higher quality parts. I am aiming for a well balanced gun, but not knowing what chassis to run or what a barrel will feel like, I ended up ordering a Kidd Ultralight which cost a bit over $200.  Especially since it was mentioned about the TS aluminum breech face.  And you further assure that was a wise decision to stick with a barrel with a steel breech.

I am still on the fence about a Kidd chassis or waiting for the KRG Bravo(suppose to be released this fall after 2 delays this year).
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone make a better than average accuracy 10/22 T/D threaded barrel? Light weight or otherwise. Looking more for the threaded feature than super duper accuracy. My current 10/22 TD has a X-22 Backpacker Stock.

I have a couple of regular 10/22's I could use but I'd kinda like too have something I can break down.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Whistlepig threaded aluminum barrels.

Louis has always done me right.

Aluminum barrel and hogue overmolded stock- it’s as light as a toy. I’ve built several for folks with this configuration.  It’s the ultimate lightweight bunny chaser IMO.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Kidd or Beyer
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#17]
My KIDD barrel is crazy light and accurate. KIDD everything.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Volquartson barrels are quite spendy, I was hoping to keep costs around ~200.  Weight also isn't listed in on their website.

I don't know why I thought the Kidd Ultralite was not available threaded, which is why I overlooked it.

But the Kidd Ultralite with a threaded barrel checks off a lot on my list.  It sits at 20 oz. vs the 15 oz. on the TacSol which isn't a deal breaker.  The Kidd UL is also $55 cheaper than the TacSol.

What are my options to attach iron sights to a  Kidd receiver?
View Quote

My one build is all Kidd except for the barrel which is a VQ CF ultralight barrel (15oz). Yes, the VQ barrel is $$$ but it was worth it to me. Not that there is anything wrong with the Kidd barrel but I went with the VQ because... I wanted an all black barrel but at the time Kidd didn't make an all black, threaded lightweight barrel (this may have changed?). I had a VQ THM barrel on an older build so I knew they are shooter and lastly, I just love the CF look.

Its the bottom rifle in this pic...
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I just recently purchased a Keystone Arms threaded 16.5 carbon fiber barrel off Ebay. The price was good and the barrel is a tackdriver. I had 1/2" groups at 50 yards with just a red dot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#20]
As an update. I did pick up a Kidd Ultralite.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just recently purchased a Keystone Arms threaded 16.5 carbon fiber barrel off Ebay. The price was good and the barrel is a tackdriver. I had 1/2" groups at 50 yards with just a red dot.
View Quote

That is what I used on a under-folder build. No complaints at all.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top