Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2021 4:21:34 PM EDT
New to night vision. Just bought a PVS-14 mono/ bump helmet setup.

Looking for an IR laser/illuminator for under $1k to use for hunting hogs, coyotes, ranch security, training. Less $ the better.

Would like to be able to use the laser and illuminator separately or together as environment dictates. Would like something adequate for scanning/shooting a couple hundred yards. Don't need a white light or visible laser.
Do you recommend red or green?

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Only real option is going to be a DBAL 9007 IR/IR which has a poor illuminator OR a CQB-L plus Kiji or TNVC Torch paired with a dual lead Modbutton or TAPS.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
What are your thoughts on the Holosun?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The illuminator is no different than the DBAL 9007 really.

If you got an LS221G you could pair that with a Kiji instead and save some cash.

They seem to last and hold zero pretty well, they just suffer from the same neutering all civ lasers/illuminators short of the MAWL and D2 do.

Search for a used D2. They can be had for around $1000 and will perform better than rigging multiple things together.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
What are my options if I'm willing to go over $1k. The MAWL looks amazing but I'd need to save some more $$. What options are decent under the MAWL that I should look at?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are my options if I'm willing to go over $1k. The MAWL looks amazing but I'd need to save some more $$. What options are decent under the MAWL that I should look at?
View Quote

That's the problem, there is a huge hole.  If you want 200 yards, that's the MAWL, Kiji, DBAL-D2 as reasonable options, plus the Perst-3 if you're down with Russian hardware.   Everything else just blows for illumination.

I had moved to using m600V IR scout lights for illum, and even though that's way better than the DBAL-A3 or ATPIAL-C, it's still not going to reliably illuminate targets at 200 yards.  I'd call it 150-175.

Nicest budget solution is probably a Kiji + OTAL-C (these can be found for about $380) + dual lead Modbutton (the Modbutton has a much nicer feeling switch than any of the TAPS Syncs I've tried and is cheaper).   This will probably be lighter and less bulky than a DBAL-D2, but perhaps you can get a used D2 for cheaper.

You can knock $300+ off by substituting an IR Surefire, but you'll take a hit on illumination range and will have a visible glow from the IR light when looking right at it (don't stare into an IR beam)
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Phantom Hill
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Honestly the difference in FP v civ illumination (I have never seen a M-wall) is vast.

Perst.

Otherwise buy that 9007 and realize that you have something that is well built and has a warranty, but is equivalent to standard SF flashlight. Does pretty well out to maybe 80 - 100 yards unless there is competing  artificial white light. Whereas FP allows you to punch through. FP is serious overkill and potentially dangerous if one's use / distance is well served by a standard FL.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the recommendations.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Tje APTIAL-C, 9007, A3 are all going to be severely anemic past 70 yards in urban liggting and should not even be recommended since you said you want to reach past 150 yards for 1,000 dollars. A Stenier D2 is what you're looking for. It'll reach out past 500 yards and can do everything the above LAMs can do at close range, Another reason for a powerful illuminator is to see across white light lit streets, under cars, houses, into windows etc. If you need flood to narrow long distance on the illumination on the fly save up and buy a MAWL.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#11]
3 degree Kiji and a cqbl with the echo body and a taps syncwould be my setup. hands down. better than mawl performance in a single unit for under 2k.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#12]
DBAL D2

B&H has them under $1200 and I see them used for $1000. Only full system laser worth a shit, and honestly a better buy than the MAWL even. Everything else will be weak in comparison.

IMO:
$300 TLR-VIR II
$270 TNVC TOR MINI + $330 IR Modlite 850
$1150 DBAL D2
$1700 FP PEQ
Then an area of exceptionally diminishing return without credentials to get an NGAL
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#13]
If a 0.7mW designator is visible in the beam of a Kiji, I'd say a Holosun 221 (or even an IR Only 117) with a Kiji. The small Steiner stuff, I know nothing about, and the QC recently, based on pics, leaves a lot to be desired. OR either a PERST-3 or a D2. Like another poster said, cobbling something together would be second choice. D2 is B.I.G., PERST is from Russia - pick your poison.

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve not had any issues with my LS221. I paired it with a SF M640V for illumination. The LS221 does sit a hair taller on the 12 o’clock rail than some other options, but I have my red dot mounted on a MI NV-height mount so it’s not an issue.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I’d save a little more and get a DBAL D2 if you want a single unit vs having a separate light and laser.

They can be bought new for about $1200. Used are normally around $1100.

By far the best illuminator on the civilian market without spending double or more. It’s one of a few that will be worth while at anything past 70 yards and can be very focused or have a large flood.

Visible laser so you can sight in during the day and will slave the IR laser to match.

You can select individual functions or illuminator and laser at the same time.

It’s is a little larger that other options but in my limited experience it can’t be beat at that price.

We had a local shoot with 10-12 guys and had a mix of devices. It was pretty unanimous the D2 was the best in the civilian side. I wish we had a MAWL in the group to compare but we didn’t.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I'm going to save for the D2.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#17]
FWIW, JRH had the DBAL D2 for around $1200. It might be worth a call to see if he still has any.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If a 0.7mW designator is visible in the beam of a Kiji, I'd say a Holosun 221 (or even an IR Only 117) with a Kiji. The small Steiner stuff, I know nothing about, and the QC recently, based on pics, leaves a lot to be desired. OR either a PERST-3 or a D2. Like another poster said, cobbling something together would be second choice. D2 is B.I.G., PERST is from Russia - pick your poison.

View Quote
I have a perst 4 red and its a beast. that with a kiji would be the jam. I currently have an arisaka IR 250 and I am happy enough. more than enough range to see with non zoomed nods.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 2:48:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I love the D2. For reference, that tree line is 250 yards out from my front door. The Illuminator is just so clean

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#20]
If I had to start from scratch today on a budget but wanted a "truly good" set up and could not afford the ultimate....

A Steiner CQB  or a Holosun LE 221 $750 with a KIJI. $650, plus a Jet Beam Raptor LEP light $225 and your GTG.  MAWL C-1 performance plus a killer WL at a little more than half the price at $1625+or-.

I have both the LE221 and the LE321  ( ok IR illum..is .... sigh)   no issues, solid stuff......I know I know "ChInA"  but the world is what it is right now.  The CQB takes up more rail space (longer and higher) on my MK18 than the LE221 or LE321.  I switch between a LPVO/ LaRue SPR 1.5   and a red dot 1/3 lower C/W.  If all I ran was the red dot or an Eotec for the option of passive targeting, I'd say go with the Steiner CQB despite it's larger foot print. It has less switching than the Holosun's to get lost in. No high or low settings ; KISS: Viz, IR or off. and it's made in America even if it has ChInA made chips in it.

If your going to run a LPVO all the time with a red dot/ RMR  at a 45 consider the Holosun's  (LE titanium )  lower mounting height to clear a LPVO mounted at a reasonable height that you can still get a good cheek weld with that isn't too high having your chin bouncing around on the buffer tube.  WE ALL KNOW WHO WE ARE OR WERE .

Hmmmmmmmm I've got myself almost sold on this simple CQB KIJI Raptor package idea now .  Maybe I'll start over from scratch and stay with a red dot too.

No telling what new stuff will be at SHOT this year but SHOT isn't today.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
DBAL D2 is fantastic. I have one and love it. The illuminator is amazing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Great feedback guys. I have a lot to think about. I am really wanting to stay with an all in one unit if possible, so the D2 is still my target as of today, but like everything else I may change my mind at any moment.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Great feedback guys. I have a lot to think about. I am really wanting to stay with an all in one unit if possible, so the D2 is still my target as of today, but like everything else I may change my mind at any moment.
View Quote

The cool part is there are diffuser caps you can run with the D2 also. So you don't have to turn the focus knob
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trying to save you $$..  Just do the MAWL and be done.  Really.  It is that much better.  The ergo alone is priceless.  Power and precision and ability to use it all right now.

https://tnvc.com/shop/b-e-meyers-mawl-c1-ir-visible-laser/
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I have I2 DBALs and Vampires on my carbines. But if I had it to do over again, I’d go Kiji+Perst. But the cool thing about the Surefire Vampire is the changing over from IR to white with a twist of the head.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I use a holosun paired with a Luna illuminator.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have I2 DBALs and Vampires on my carbines. But if I had it to do over again, I’d go Kiji+Perst. But the cool thing about the Surefire Vampire is the changing over from IR to white with a twist of the head.
View Quote

The bad thing about the Vampire (KM2-C head) is it doesn’t doesn’t do white light or IR very well. Sure, it does both with a twist of the head, but it’s more “Jack of all trades, master of none”
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Holosun LS117IR

Reptilia Torch 18650 M-lok light body

Weltool LH2 head

Surefire DS00 remote switch tail cap

Unity TAPS sync

You won't find a brighter illuminator on an all in one unit, and these aren't restricted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top