Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2019 11:19:22 PM EDT
Looking for recommendation on a 22lr bolt action rifle to use with suppressor.  Youth model options a plus.  Already have a CZ 452 non-threaded barrel.  Should we just have it cut and threaded? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger's American series are nice.  They have 4 stock pieces available, two lengths of pull and two comb heights.  That way you can quickly configure it for the little ones and then back for the adults  with our without an optic.  Just make sure to shop for the pre threaded models obviously.  Threading your existing CZ wouldn't be bad either.  Morgan at Class 3 machining would be my recommendation to have you send it off to.  He has a section in the industry area here on the forums.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/Class-3-Machining/353/
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:10:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a couple Ruger Americans.  I love my standard one, and my niece loves her youth model.  The guns are a great bargain.  I really, really like my new Tikka T1x though, its amazing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Roger or CZ. Suggest you search and read to get a ton of info. There are probably 100 threads o. Here on exactly what you're asking, including one in the last few days. You'll get a ton out of them, but it will still come down to Ruger or CZ. And, you'll have fun with either.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:28:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I want a T bolt for some reason
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Ruger American Rimfire 8334

ETA: Volquartzen Summit
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:57:45 AM EDT
[#6]
CZ 455
Browning T-Bolt
Ruger American
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Very happy with my Ruger American

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Unless you need the longer sight radius for iron sights, a rimfire suppressor host gets no benefit from a barrel over 16" with subsonic/standard velocity loads.  The Savage FVSR is inexpensive and accurate but the stock isn't set up for optics use and is cheap, as is the finish.  The FVSR is a great start for a Boyds stock and a paint job/refinish on the metal.  The Savage magazines are inferior to Ruger.   The CZs are noticably nicer than the Ruger or Savage but for me the Ruger magazine compatibility with 10/22s meant buying an unthreaded  Ruger American and chopping and threading at 16".  I kept the Savage because I have so little into it and it's optic.  The Ruger is a nicer field gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Oh wow.  Went all out and got a fancy Boyd's stock lol.  They do make some excellent replacement stock options.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh wow.  Went all out and got a fancy Boyd's stock lol.  They do make some excellent replacement stock options.
View Quote
I have entirely too much money wrapped up in 22s

Love the stock!  Had to open up the barrel channel to get the barrel to free float.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#11]
As others have said, RAR
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The 8334 is the one I convinced a friend to buy two weeks ago.
View Quote
It blows my Savage away. (ETA: My)Savage magazines suck. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#14]
The newer savage b22 fv-sr has the upgraded stock and rotary magazines.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Norinco that shoots as good as anything I've seen. Paid $90 for it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a CZ 452 Varmint that I had threaded. Not only is still a tach driver, it is almost silent with good subs. The kids will out grow the youth size rifles faster than you realize. That said, I also have a threaded RAR that performs well and is adjustable. So it will grow with the kids.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#17]
All responses greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#18]
CZ 455 scout. Threaded barrel, iron sights, option to take a scope, comes with a youth stock. Kid outgrows stock, swaps directly into any full size 455 stock you want to order from CZ online store. Change the barrel to varmint, threaded, long, short, any everything in between, just undo the two barrel screws and it pops right out. Fully modular and all replacement parts available from CZ online store. Benefits include an extremely active forum community here and especially on RFC, and inherently very accurate rifles.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The newer savage b22 fv-sr has the upgraded stock and rotary magazines.
View Quote
The Savage rotary magazines are a far cry from the loadability of the Ruger 10/22 magazines. You have to push the round partially down, then kind of turn it or move it to get it into the next magazine slot on the rotor. It is not a smooth process like you are used to with the Rugers. The Savage bolt was nice and smooth with a nice trigger, but it really felt no different than my American. Both rifles grouped and sounded similar with CCI SV. The Savage rotary magazines are also larger than 10/22 magazines.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Savage rotary magazines are a far cry from the loadability of the Ruger 10/22 magazines. You have to push the round partially down, then kind of turn it or move it to get it into the next magazine slot on the rotor. It is not a smooth process like you are used to with the Rugers. The Savage bolt was nice and smooth with a nice trigger, but it really felt no different than my American. Both rifles grouped and sounded similar with CCI SV. The Savage rotary magazines are also larger than 10/22 magazines.
View Quote
And the Ruger has way more magazine/drum availability.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looking for recommendation on a 22lr bolt action rifle to use with suppressor.  Youth model options a plus.  Already have a CZ 452 non-threaded barrel.  Should we just have it cut and threaded? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Whichever rifle you select, give the Boyd's At-One stock some serious consideration (pictured in the post a few above this). I had a very hard time finding a stock with a short enough length of pull for small children, then I had an epiphany. The adjustable stock piece on the At-One is completely and easily removable. With it removed the length of pull is very short allowing my then almost 6 year old son to actually shoulder the rifle properly. 22LR has essentially no recoil so the absence of the butt pad isn't an issue at all. If I want to shoot it I just plug the stock piece back in, very easy. Also, for a scoped rifle the adjustable comb is wonderful. Pretty much every other stock is going to have a comb too low to use correctly with optics.

I vote Ruger American for 10/22 magazine compatibility, a good magazine design is a must have.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a CZ 452, Ruger American and Savage FV-SR. All work and shoot fine but I would rank them in that order from best to least. The RAR is probably the best value. It has removable stock extension options for kids too. The CZ 455 Scout would also be a good choice. Threading your existing 452 would be good too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top