Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 10:16:23 PM EDT
I've got a 16" Rogue with a dictator adjustable gas block and a can.

Is reliably shooting subs out of this even practical? If not, I'm ok with turning the gas off and doing it single shot.

So, anyone have a known good 308 sub recipe they like to give me a frame of reference on where to start?

Thanks gents.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#1]
If I recall Hodgdon has a subsonic load for 168 grain using Tite Group.

http://hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

For heavier bullets up to your barrel twist stability recommendations (JBM Ballistics has a stability calculator) most people use very low density Trail Boss powder for better fill.  For subs starting on the high end of load range and working down helps prevent sticking a bullet.

https://loaddata.com/articles/PDF/LD-36%20Haviland%20LR.pdf

Stability testing without the can also recommended. None of these will cycle a semi.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I recall Hodgdon has a subsonic load for 168 grain using Tite Group.

http://hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

For heavier bullets up to your barrel twist stability recommendations (JBM Ballistics has a stability calculator) most people use very low density Trail Boss powder for better fill.  For subs starting on the high end of load range and working down helps prevent sticking a bullet.
View Quote

Makes sense, thanks.

What changes if I want to use very heavy for caliber projectiles, like 200gr for hunting? My 1:8 barrel should be able to stabilize them. Is there even a 200 or 220gr that will reliably expand at subsonic speeds?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:13:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I load mine using trailboss. Around 10-10.5 depending on the bullet, 175gr to 220gr. Will not cycle anything, that's what 300blk is for.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I load mine using trailboss. Around 10-10.5 depending on the bullet, 175gr to 220gr. Will not cycle anything, that's what 300blk is for.
View Quote

So what I'm gathering is I'll be using fluffy pistol powders, and I'm for sure going to be shooting them single shot?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:17:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So what I'm gathering is I'll be using fluffy pistol powders, and I'm for sure going to be shooting them single shot?
View Quote

Yes. I’m sure at some point someone made some subs that would cycle but I’ve never seen them. Too much case capacity makes it really hard.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The only commercially available cycling subsonic .308 that Ive seennis the stuff from Atomic that uses a 260gr projectile and who knows what blend of high volume powder.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Makes sense, thanks.

What changes if I want to use very heavy for caliber projectiles, like 200gr for hunting? My 1:8 barrel should be able to stabilize them. Is there even a 200 or 220gr that will reliably expand at subsonic speeds?
View Quote

1:8 should stabilize up to 220 grain depending on temperature and air density.

Lehigh makes a 190 and I think Maker Bullets has a 200 that expand at subsonic velocities. Expensive all copper designs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Hunting with heavy subsonic 308 doesn't sound like like such a good time after all. Damn.

Maybe I'll try to cook up a heavier slower load that's good for 100yd deer, and not as punchy as the full house commercial hunting loads.

Suggestions for that kind of load, that results in very little felt recoil?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top