Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2020 10:47:15 PM EDT
So I recently got a brand new Ruger No. 1 in 458 Win Mag that is unfired.  I basically stole it at the price I got.  I want to get it rechambered to 458 Lott.  I had a Lott in a CZ 550 and really want one in a Ruger No. 1, but they command a decently higher price tag than a 458 Win Mag when you can find them.  Since it's a No. 1 I don't have to worry about the action length, and since the Lott and Win Mag or similar nothing should need to be done to the ejector.

So my question is, what is involved with rechambering it?  Since the cases are similar and everything and the caliber is the exact same, do they just ream the throat on the factory barrel to accept the Lott?  I'd like it done on the factory barrel since it's a CHF barrel.  Granted a Lott isn't a barrel burner, but I'd like to keep the CHF barrel.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a quick and simple job to rechamber a .458WM to .458 Lott.

Once the barrel is off. That's the trick for a No.1!

Any decent gunsmith will be able to accommodate your need.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
You have the nations best ruger no1 gunsmith in Michigan!

Steve Durren

Johnson’s Sporting Goods
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Steve Durren

Johnson’s Sporting Goods
View Quote

Thanks for this!  I looked them up and they're not too far from me, so I will give them a call tomorrow and ask about rechambering it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Steve Durren

Johnson’s Sporting Goods
View Quote

@DOG556

Sent it in to Steve on Friday.  He told me worst case scenario he'd have it back to me in 4 weeks.  $125 to rechamber it, which seems to be on par with what some other gunsmiths charge from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:01:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Best part about it is that you can still shoot any .458WM you have. It's a little bit less accurate due to the freebore but it's perfectly safe.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Best part about it is that you can still shoot any .458WM you have. It's a little bit less accurate due to the freebore but it's perfectly safe.
View Quote

Yep!  I thought about getting it rechambered to 460 Weatherby but I wasn't sure if I'd need a new tube (even though it's a .458 caliber) since the case is totally different.  And like you said getting the Lott means I can fire 458 Win Mag out of it, and I have a bunch of 458WM ammo that'd be hard to get rid of if I moved to another cartridge it wasn't compatible with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top