Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2018 1:27:20 AM EDT
I thought I’d post up some pictures of an AR I just finished in Brownells Aluma-hyde II Parkerizing Gray.

I’ve used Alumahyde before on smaller items and have been pretty impressed with its durability.  I wanted something a little more subdued than the stainless barrel on this AR so I just went ahead and basically did the entire gun.

Pics:Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Very very nice. I used that paint on multiple rifles and small items.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#2]
i like it
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I normally go the “rattlecan everything all at once” route but decided to try something different.  I’ll be interested to see how this holds up long term.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.  I normally go the “rattlecan everything all at once” route but decided to try something different.  I’ll be interested to see how this holds up long term.
View Quote
That all depends on how long you let it cure.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree.  That makes a world of difference.

The main parts on this gun have actually cured for a couple of months.

On some smaller parts (knife clips, etc) I’ve tried either hitting them with a heat gun or putting them out in the sun all day. That really helped speed the process along.

I haven’t tried the oven route yet.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got an upper with a stainless barrel on the way and I think I want to paint the barrel. Is the Aluma-hyde holding up to the heat on the barrel?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Well done. I have a shotgun I have been trying to decide what to do with........
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got an upper with a stainless barrel on the way and I think I want to paint the barrel. Is the Aluma-hyde holding up to the heat on the barrel?
View Quote
I don’t have very many rounds through it after painting it (about 50) but those were not slow fire and it was on a hot day. It was definitely too hot to touch for a good while.  No problems so far and it was not tacky to the touch.

To be honest I wouldn’t doubt if the heat actually helped cure it further.  I’ve found that while it appears cured, the longer you wait the more durable the finish will be.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well done. I have a shotgun I have been trying to decide what to do with........
View Quote
Thanks.  I actually did put Alumahyde on the blued parts of a beater Maverick 88. I did it just to prevent rust since it was going to spend a lot of time under the back seat of my truck. It has held up really well, too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used AlumaHyde on a few guns. Holds up real well. I let this one sit for almost a month before assembling.  I did it in Ruger Matte Gray

Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh hell ya
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've used AlumaHyde on a few guns. Holds up real well. I let this one sit for almost a month before assembling.  I did it in Ruger Matte Gray

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89/20161004-105022-zpsq5itfulo-edit-1475594049067-112848.jpg
View Quote
That is one sharp rifle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I've used AH, but have always baked at 195 for about 2 hours with no issues.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Really good job!  I like how it looks.  I normally prefer a gray that is more of a blue hue, but I really like your build.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've used AH, but have always baked at 195 for about 2 hours with no issues.
View Quote
I wish I had a oven to bake them in.

My wife would kill me if I used her oven
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#16]
This is my first camo job I did. Ruger America 10/22 bolt action ( Squirrel rifle )

I used AH, Coyote, Od green, and black when I put mesh over the stock. It turned out great for my first camo job.
I let it Air cure for about 2 weeks and than I assymbled it and let it cure in my safe for another week before I used it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wish I had a oven to bake them in.

My wife would kill me if I used her oven
View Quote
I used the indoor oven once for a barrel, it really wasn't all that bad but took a good hour or so to air out.  Momma didn't even notice...nor did I tell.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I used the indoor oven once for a barrel, it really wasn't all that bad but took a good hour or so to air out.  Momma didn't even notice...nor did I tell.
View Quote
Hahaha nice.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hahaha nice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha nice.
Toss a couple of pieces of bacon in the oven when your done and nobody would know the difference...
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I just did a barrel and let it sit next to the 90 deg furnace for 4 days.

It seems hard, and no longer smells, but I'm concerned about being a bit premature with assembly.

Now that it no longer smells, there's no reason I couldn't throw it in the over for a few hours now to be safe, right?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is the truth.   I use Duracoat.  I mix the pigment, hardener and thinner then Airbrush it on
The instructions say to wait 24 hours then reassemble the gun
I always wait a week
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. I just use the kitchen oven. No worries. Aluma-Hyde is great stuff.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Wish I could find OD green AlumaHyde. Can't find it anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just did a barrel and let it sit next to the 90 deg furnace for 4 days.

It seems hard, and no longer smells, but I'm concerned about being a bit premature with assembly.

Now that it no longer smells, there's no reason I couldn't throw it in the over for a few hours now to be safe, right?
View Quote
195 degrees for an hour or so would finish it off and no need for a few hours as their directions state 2 hours at 195.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I thought I'd post up some pictures of an AR I just finished in Brownells Aluma-hyde II Parkerizing Gray.

I've used Alumahyde before on smaller items and have been pretty impressed with its durability.  I wanted something a little more subdued than the stainless barrel on this AR so I just went ahead and basically did the entire gun.

Pics:https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401804/CF7BBFEF-B423-4380-BB2E-FCEA2FF08AA0_jpeg-715235.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401804/76BD7602-5318-4CA9-8B02-9F1AAC879E72_jpeg-715236.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401804/E7DBF7A3-353D-40AF-8145-488A4A8ECC06_jpeg-715237.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401804/5AD01C9E-76BD-4AB9-9523-2EC822721B0B_jpeg-715238.JPG
View Quote
Beautiful
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Just sprayed a few finished 80% lowers and uppers. The dark parkerized gray looks really good.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Beautiful
View Quote
Thanks.  I ended up making a few changes to the setup.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#28]
How do you like the Recon Flex bipod?

My boy got me a set for Christmas, but I haven't had a chance to try them (it) out yet
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ve shot off of it two or three times so far.  My only other bipods are Harris or Harris style, so that’s what I have to compare it to.

I like it quite a bit.  One day my best group of the afternoon was with it instead of a front bag which I had mainly been using.

It’s quite a bit different than a Harris or Harris style bipod.  I guess to sum my thoughts up:

In some ways it’s lower profile by mounting to the rail. But in some ways it’s more in the way because it intereferes with your front hand hold.  I have mine mounted that far back because I actually swing the feet back and grip the handguard in front of the bipod.  Now that I have it situated I like it better on this gun than a Harris, but that will all depend on where you can mount it on a specific gun.

The way it locks in place at multiple angles can let you get lower on a bench with the tall leg version (that’s what I have because I caught a deal on it).  Do you have the tall or short legs?

The locking while folded and deployed (versus a Harris) takes some getting used to and is definitely slower.

It feels really sturdy and well planted because it basically mounts in line with the barrel.  Not that I’ve thought a Harris was particularly tipsy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#30]
He got me the longer version. He saw on a review that the shorter one can interfere with a higher cap magazine in an AR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top