BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And just FYI for comparison, you can get a pretty nice CMP special rack grade with new barrel and new walnut stock for $650.

Here is one I picked up last month.

https://i.imgur.com/V2aojG8.jpg

View Quote

Very nice M1, sir!
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
ok, so I have a bridgeport at work-- easy enough to open the groove enough to remove the op rod-- so you think that was intentionally done and NOT a crack repair?

View Quote

Yes done intentionally, not a repair to a crack
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
so a question: with the groove enlarged to allow the op rod to be removed, what prevents the op rod from jumping out during the firing cycle?

Does it not move that far rearward or something?

Is there a decent gunsmith that is recommended to do this work and possibly reparkerize after?

I did the tilt-test-- I can tell there is some binding but it does cycle completely when tilted in both planes-- it doesn't sound as nice as the one in that video tho...
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
so a question: with the groove enlarged to allow the op rod to be removed, what prevents the op rod from jumping out during the firing cycle?
Nothing really, but there isn't anything trying to push it out of the slot either.

Does it not move that far rearward or something?
It moves past it on each cycle.

Is there a decent gunsmith that is recommended to do this work and possibly reparkerize after?

I did the tilt-test-- I can tell there is some binding but it does cycle completely when tilted in both planes-- it doesn't sound as nice as the one in that video tho...
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I just called Nick Kaikkonen at Vulcan Gun Restorations

You receiver can be repaired.  The op rod track can be repaired with a milling machine, but ths receiver will need to be re-hardened.  The heat from the welding will have affected the receiver's heat treatment.

Nick has repaired other welded drill rifles. But to do it right, you need to re harden your receiver after the machining is done.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#8]
between millwork, hardening and reparkerizing, it sounds like I'd be better off keeping this as a wall hanger and going to the CMP for a shooter...
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks!
I think I’ll contact Columbus Machine Works and see if they are willing— they can fix up the op rod too.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]
No reason to reharden it... clean up the oprod dismount notch and ping on.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Just an update.
Good news/bad news

The good news is the bolt headspace seems to be spot on— will not get anywhere near closing on a field gauge.
Waiting on a go/no go set, but that alone is good news.
Bad news is I cannot find anyone to mill the dismount slot and will need to do it myself. Not a biggie but I know it isn’t going to be perfect, not that it ever will be after being welded anyway!

I have hope yet!!
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just an update.
Good news/bad news

The good news is the bolt headspace seems to be spot on will not get anywhere near closing on a field gauge.
Waiting on a go/no go set, but that alone is good news.
Bad news is I cannot find anyone to mill the dismount slot and will need to do it myself. Not a biggie but I know it isn't going to be perfect, not that it ever will be after being welded anyway!

I have hope yet!!
View Quote
If its passing the FIELD..why are you waiting on go/nogo?

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#14]
lol.....

#1-- I gots no ammo!
#2-- I gots no clips for the ammo I don't have!

Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, back to this.....

Off to the range today to function test this garand and a couple of AR pistol builds (.300blk and 5.56)

No ammo to be had so I bought and processed 100 rounds of .30-06 brass, a RCBS FL die set from eBay, and some enbloc clips online.
Due to the scarcity of components, and the fact that I am only doing a function check, I only loaded up a few.
Using my Hornady 9 load book, I went with 43.0 of Varget and 150FMJ’s.

Min. load is 42.3 and max is 46.2
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ok, back to this.....

Off to the range today to function test this garand and a couple of AR pistol builds (.300blk and 5.56)

No ammo to be had so I bought and processed 100 rounds of .30-06 brass, a RCBS FL die set from eBay, and some enbloc clips online.
Due to the scarcity of components, and the fact that I am only doing a function check, I only loaded up a few.
Using my Hornady 9 load book, I went with 43.0 of Varget and 150FMJ's.

Min. load is 42.3 and max is 46.2
View Quote
Your varget loads will be painfully slow.  The problem is hornadys data belongs in the trash can...along with pineapple pizza.  If you use a max load of varget (according to hornady) you still won't even meet milspec standard.  You will just break over 2600fps.

For a true M2 ball duplicate you will want to be near 48.0 of varget.

I suggest getting 168 match bullets and 48.0 varget for a nice accuracy load.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your varget loads will be painfully slow.  The problem is hornadys data belongs in the trash can...along with pineapple pizza.  If you use a max load of varget (according to hornady) you still won't even meet milspec standard.  You will just break over 2600fps.

For a true M2 ball duplicate you will want to be near 48.0 of varget.

I suggest getting 168 match bullets and 48.0 varget for a nice accuracy load.
View Quote

That may be. However, that wasn't the point.
The point was to take a heretofore unproven rifle and gauge whether it would be a capable weapon or a wall-hanger. I had no idea where this rifle has been nor who put it together.
Wasting expensive components on a possible wall-hanger is exactly what I didn't want to do-- well, that and blowing it up in my face. Cause that would suck too.

That said, and luckily for me, the rifle performed perfectly with the exception of not ejecting the last round/empty clip on my second clip (possibly due to new aftermarket clips?)

I'm pretty happy tho-- the large aperature and my shit eyesight are going to limit my capabilities, but I'm looking forward to experimentation-- as long as my primer stash holds out!
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That may be. However, that wasn't the point.
The point was to take a heretofore unproven rifle and gauge whether it would be a capable weapon or a wall-hanger. I had no idea where this rifle has been nor who put it together.
Wasting expensive components on a possible wall-hanger is exactly what I didn't want to do-- well, that and blowing it up in my face. Cause that would suck too.

That said, and luckily for me, the rifle performed perfectly with the exception of not ejecting the last round/empty clip on my second clip (possibly due to new aftermarket clips?)

I'm pretty happy tho-- the large aperature and my shit eyesight are going to limit my capabilities, but I'm looking forward to experimentation-- as long as my primer stash holds out!
View Quote
Possibly the weak loads didn't allow the case and clip to eject.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#19]

could be! and I was thinking to myself my-oh-my recoil is quite light!!"

Sometimes things just seem to work out... looking forward to experimenting but my powder choices are limited...
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

could be! and I was thinking to myself my-oh-my recoil is quite light!!"

Sometimes things just seem to work out... looking forward to experimenting but my powder choices are limited...
View Quote
lol...take that varget and the 150s up to about 47-48.0

What other powders do you have?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 8:35:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
lol...take that varget and the 150s up to about 47-48.0

What other powders do you have?
View Quote

Accurate 2015
IMR 8208 xbr
Win 231
IMR 4064
Win 748
Hodgdon H322
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Accurate 2015
IMR 8208 xbr
Win 231
IMR 4064
Win 748
Hodgdon H322
View Quote
4064 will give you good results as well.  Around 49.0 for me and 155gr palmas gets me sub 2 MOA in most garands
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I have also used IMR-3031 and Benchmark.

But these two are the fastest powders that you should use.

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I only have 1lb of 4064 so I loaded up just a few barnes 168ttsx (all I have in the weight)- I think @ 47.5 or 48.0

I did pick up an 8lb jug of Varget off the EE today, so I'll pretty much be using that for everything.

Can I get a smaller aperture rear sight or do I need to fit a NM kit for that?
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I only have 1lb of 4064 so I loaded up just a few barnes 168ttsx (all I have in the weight)- I think @ 47.5 or 48.0

I did pick up an 8lb jug of Varget off the EE today, so I'll pretty much be using that for everything.

Can I get a smaller aperture rear sight or do I need to fit a NM kit for that?
View Quote

If you get the first type non-hooded National Match aperture, you can fit it to a stock rear sight base. Apertures come in 520 and 595 hole diameters. I've also seen a few undrilled apertures around for you to drill your own hole.

A hooded aperture requires a modified stock sight base or NM/2 or NM/2A rear sight base to clear the hood. GI National Match bases also require a fine thread 64 TPI windage knob.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#26]
The saga continues! Another trip to the range with this garand and my son. I had no issues with cycling or ejection. I had loaded up some 150 FMJ’s and soft points over varget.

I did notice that the ejection pattern seems to be all over the place, most going forward and to the right at about 2 o’clock but many also going back and to the right at about 4-5 o’clock. Maybe new springs are in order?
Anyway, this target is @ 100yds, I thinks it’s pretty good for my old eyes and I was shooting right handed (due to have shoulder surgery on my left). I think I can do better tho.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The saga continues! Another trip to the range with this garand and my son. I had no issues with cycling or ejection. I had loaded up some 150 FMJ’s and soft points over varget.

I did notice that the ejection pattern seems to be all over the place, most going forward and to the right at about 2 o’clock but many also going back and to the right at about 4-5 o’clock. Maybe new springs are in order?
Anyway, this target is @ 100yds, I thinks it’s pretty good for my old eyes and I was shooting right handed (due to have shoulder surgery on my left). I think I can do better tho.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/368640/9A8E606D-C6D9-4791-991A-120918813CC6-1728771.jpg
View Quote

Nice job! ...

On your available powders, I've found 4064 and Varget track almost identically, so data for 4064 is close enough that it works for Varget. I'm don't hotrod my M1 handloads anyway, so what I load is safe and cycles the action reliably. Plus, any Garand that's new to me gets immediately upgraded to an op rod spring from Orion 7.

I'm well stocked on Varget and 150gn FMJ bullets, so that's the combo I use.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The saga continues! Another trip to the range with this garand and my son. I had no issues with cycling or ejection. I had loaded up some 150 FMJ's and soft points over varget.

I did notice that the ejection pattern seems to be all over the place, most going forward and to the right at about 2 o'clock but many also going back and to the right at about 4-5 o'clock. Maybe new springs are in order?
Anyway, this target is @ 100yds, I thinks it's pretty good for my old eyes and I was shooting right handed (due to have shoulder surgery on my left). I think I can do better tho.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/368640/9A8E606D-C6D9-4791-991A-120918813CC6-1728771.jpg
View Quote
1 out of 8 cases should go back to the right....thats shot #8 since the oprod locks back it doesn't get to "bump" the last one forward.  The other 7 should be out to the front.

7-8ft away at the most
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Its a battle rifle, as long as they are ejecting away from the shooter it is fine
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Its a battle rifle, as long as they are ejecting away from the shooter it is fine
View Quote
Very true...but we do know a properly running garand has a certain ejection pattern.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#31]
As long as it is ejecting and not malfunctioning, it is running properly. People way overthink ejection pattern along with the tilt test
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#32]
think the 5 round clips have anything to do with it?
I'll need to pay closer attention to the pattern next time. My range can be a pretty busy place with lots of crap at the firing line, no open air- The local brass vulture was eyeing every round... lol...
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As long as it is ejecting and not malfunctioning, it is running properly. People way overthink ejection pattern along with the tilt test
View Quote
Not really..ejection patterns are a real thing
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not really..ejection patterns are a real thing
View Quote

OK, Ill bite.....why does it matter?
I doubt any GI in a foxhole was asking his buddy if his rifle was ejecting in a correct pattern
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

OK, Ill bite.....why does it matter?
I doubt any GI in a foxhole was asking his buddy if his rifle was ejecting in a correct pattern
View Quote
Because it gives indications to the condition of the rifles lubrication or gas system wear.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#36]
just as the tilt test is used to diagnose malfunctions but just becuase a rifle  fails the tilt test does not mean anything is wrong as rifle functions properly
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A CMP Match target will get you better groups.  With irons you need to learn Natural Point of Aim and then you align the round bullseye in the center of your lined up sights.  My eyes are not what they used to be but i would never shoot as well at that target as a round target that is big enough to center.
View Quote

10-4-- I'll try that. I only used this one because I do not have a spotting scope and am able to see impacts with a pair of binoculars. My range only goes to 100yds due to it's location. We don't have a lot of options here in SEFL. I was just happy to keep the shots as close as they are!
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Here is a target for irons for 100 yrds. You can print it off free, use a 6 0clock hold
free target
6 0 Clock hold
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP, any luck finding a shop to mill and repair your OpRod channel?  I decided I want to get my drill rifle receiver restored.  Not to shoot but to make it a fully functional demonstration gun do it can be fully stripped which it can’t do as a driller.
View Quote

No. Fluffy had a recommendation but I think the guy was in Canuckistan and I didn't want to deal with that kind of hassle. Once I got a set of gauges and saw that headspace was just about perfect, I just wanted to shoot.

I may do something after I get a second one for my son- I put up an ad in the EE for a possible trade but haven't had a lot of interest. I want to find a CMP gun for my son's birthday next year as he is a history buff and is awful envious of this rifle!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top