Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2019 7:46:30 PM EDT
I had a gun come up on arms list for a 2 year old m1a super match for 2k, guessing I might knock that down a little. Ive been really focused on finding a pre ban national match in decent year ranges for higher chance of USG I parts. Wondering if this is something I should jump at or if waiting on a pre ban would be a better option. Not really sure how a new super match set of parts would stack up to the USGI ones? I had another guy with a pre ban from the 70s with a NM barrel 1650$.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Supermatch should be well built.  But it's a heavy heavy beast.  It's good for shooting highpower matches (after you add 1-2lbs to the buttstock which brings it up to around 14lbs dry with iron sights).  Works well off a sandbag as well.  That's about it.

The NM is far more suited as an all-around rifle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Supermatch should be well built.  But it's a heavy heavy beast.  It's good for shooting highpower matches (after you add 1-2lbs to the buttstock which brings it up to around 14lbs dry with iron sights).  Works well off a sandbag as well.  That's about it.

The NM is far more suited as an all-around rifle.
View Quote
Thanks. Are the parts really that much different from new factory built and the original usgi from the pre ban era? I definitely lean towards historical nature of older guns and government made parts and am willing to wait for the right one, if the difference really isn't really that negligible I might just spring for a new one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I had a gun come up on arms list for a 2 year old m1a super match for 2k, guessing I might knock that down a little. Ive been really focused on finding a pre ban national match in decent year ranges for higher chance of USG I parts. Wondering if this is something I should jump at or if waiting on a pre ban would be a better option. Not really sure how a new super match set of parts would stack up to the USGI ones? I had another guy with a pre ban from the 70s with a NM barrel 1650$.
View Quote
Well, don't know if this helps you, but here's what I have: a Glen Nelson-built M1A Super Match, with a TRW bolt and all USGI parts. NM-style frt & rear sights. Nice wood stock that was bedded.  The trigger is unbelievably nice. It has what some used to call a 'glass-reed break.' Don't know if Nelson set it up that way personally or not, but it breaks consistently schweeeeet every time.

'S.M.' is stamped on top of the barrel just back from the frt sight. I can't recall if that means it's a Douglas or Hart barrel. From what I understand of his SM builds for S.A. during the '80s, Nelson sourced both.

Serial number on the receiver dates to 1986. A call to S.A. can quickly vet it as a Nelson-built SM M1A.

About a year & half ago on GunJoker, there was a Nelson-built SM almost exactly like mine, except it had a serial number about 100-digits higher and looked like it had seen many years of hard use in Match competitions. Honest wear and still serviceable, but appearance-wise mine is in better shape.

The GunJoker seller wanted $3300 for it. Don't know if he ever got that, but the Nelson-SM M1As do command a premium.

All of the above is being offered FYI.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright newb question on USGI parts, do guns manufactured as nation match come with USGI parts? While I hear there are good years, early 90s, where pre ban guns were built with USGI parts,  would this just be the general guns and NM always used them or no? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I would say on a SA Inc gun most parts are going to be commercial.

mine loaded was made sometime around 98 back then, I think only my op rod had to be replaced for a non gi part, when I sent itout to FA for an inspection/upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alright newb question on USGI parts, do guns manufactured as nation match come with USGI parts? While I hear there are good years, early 90s, where pre ban guns were built with USGI parts,  would this just be the general guns and NM always used them or no? Thanks.
View Quote
It depends on the particular rifle (standard, NM, SM), and the time-frame in which it was built.   From the '80s into the very early '90s (maybe '93 at the latest), S.A. was still using or sourcing USGI parts for the M1As.

In 1991 I bought a 'standard' S.A. M1AE2 (w/ correct E2 birch stock). The bolt is a TRW and all other parts, as I recall, are GI, not commercial.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top