Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2020 5:39:02 PM EDT
I was holding off on making this post in order to give MGW a chance to fix the problem, but it would appear that has not been the case.  
Disclaimer: I’ve bought multiple products from MGW and just spent another $400 with them on mags alone.

About a week and a half ago I ordered a scar 16 fde complete lower housing for one of my scars. I wanted to play around with different triggers and alternating colors so I figured why not have a second housing.  After arriving and inspecting I noticed that the magwell pin had not been milled out. This was weird and I figured “okay, maybe they just grabbed one that hadn’t been converted.”  Sent an email, got an RMA, everything was peachy. Just got the housing back and it’s a different unit but with the same unmilled magwell pin.

Image of the original

How do I go about removing this pin?  I don’t have a mill but I do have a dremel tool and some hand files. I rather not spend more money on this $435 part that was “supposedly” drop in and go.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
A.) Press it out.  

B.) mill/dremil/file/whatever method you choose it out.

c.) have them exchange it.

That's really only options.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A.) Press it out.  

View Quote

Already tried option C so I guess B is my next step.  Not sure how I’d press it out.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A.) Press it out.  

View Quote

Midwest gun works has been good to me.  They probably just got the return, had one of the workers grab another without looking and sent it off.  

Call and ask to have someone go open the package and verify.  I have done this with other lowers and they verified what I was asking for before they shipped.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Already tried option C so I guess B is my next step.  Not sure how I’d press it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A.) Press it out.  

The one on my 16S is loose enough to pull out by hand. I only keep it in there so there isn't a hole there. I woulda thought it would be much more secure in there but it's probably just a press fit.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The one on my 16S is loose enough to pull out by hand. I only keep it in there so there isn't a hole there. I woulda thought it would be much more secure in there but it's probably just a press fit.
View Quote

Interesting. I’ll have to take a stab at it myself.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Just did one now for the hell of it.   Hammer and punch.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Tried tapping mine out without positive results. Is there a taper or a lip on the pin at all on the unmilled surface?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tried tapping mine out without positive results. Is there a taper or a lip on the pin at all on the unmilled surface?
View Quote

tap from inside out.  No taper.  its pushed in.  if you have one of those center punch tools that can work to provide enough energy in one spot to get it to start breaking free.

FN just takes an extra buttstock push pin stuffs it in there then mills it off.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

tap from inside out.  No taper.  its pushed in.  if you have one of those center punch tools that can work to provide enough energy in one spot to get it to start breaking free.

FN just takes an extra buttstock push pin stuffs it in there then mills it off.
View Quote

Hm...  I’ll keep trying then. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Forgive my ignorance, but why is that pin in there to begin with?  My 2010 production SCAR has this pin but it's milled even with the plastic of the lower, so it's irrelevant.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance, but why is that pin in there to begin with?  My 2010 production SCAR has this pin but it's milled even with the plastic of the lower, so it's irrelevant.
View Quote

Stops rifle from being able to be loaded via magazine prior to being imported.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe some of the newer US-produced 16s don’t have this pin since they weren’t imported, right?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Protect the outside surface with a tape and a shim and squeeze it out with pliers
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:37:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They don't. My 20S doesn't have a pin so looks like everything is molded here or lowers imported without the pin.
View Quote

This is correct.  The first early US made 17s and 20s still had belgium imported lowers.  Now everything from here on out is all US made lowers so no pin.  I suspect the new 16 is the same.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They don't. My 20S doesn't have a pin so looks like everything is molded here or lowers imported without the pin.
View Quote

Makes it easier to clone the MK series of SCARs.  

It also means all of us with the pin in our “early model” lowers have a rare and highly sought-after lower that could be worth thousands and thousands of dollars to collectors.  With the economy what it is, and the gun market off the charts, I would feel bad gouging fellow collectors, so I’m willing to come down to $800 for a stripped SCAR 17S lower with the pin in it.  Please contact me via IM. Serious inquiries only.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Makes it easier to clone the MK series of SCARs.  

It also means all of us with the pin in our “early model” lowers have a rare and highly sought-after lower that could be worth thousands and thousands of dollars to collectors.  With the economy what it is, and the gun market off the charts, I would feel bad gouging fellow collectors, so I’m willing to come down to $800 for a stripped SCAR 17S lower with the pin in it.  Please contact me via IM. Serious inquiries only.  
View Quote

If you sell yours I will be second up to post mine for $801.  If anyone is interested... lol
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A.) Press it out.  

View Quote

@brodband8

Somewhat off topic, but what’s the reason that the sanding marks exist on the top of the lower receiver where it mates to the Upper?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@brodband8

Somewhat off topic, but what’s the reason that the sanding marks exist on the top of the lower receiver where it mates to the Upper?
View Quote

Material from the lower is removed to fit a scar 16/17s as the upper receiver has extra material on a mk16/mk17.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Material from the lower is removed to fit a scar 16/17s as the upper receiver has extra material on a mk16/mk17.
View Quote

Ah, I’m guessing they went with the quick and easy instead of milling it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top