Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2021 5:48:15 PM EDT
I feel like I'm in crazy town here but by a reading of the definitions - and as best I can tell - a traditionally fuse fired black powder fougasse with whatever projectiles such as rocks/debris wouldn't be a DD of either large bore or exploding variety.

Seriously? The usual was around 10lbs of powder per ton of rocks. Five tons of whatever going that-a-way for the 50lbs sporting limit for powder storage.

If that's all correct then I feel like I'm going to have a lot of really messy fun this summer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea what you are on about but it sounds fun.

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fougasse_(weapon)

An improvised mortar (hole in the ground)
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Makes me think that it’s like a muzzle loader.  You’re probably fine in MT, but those guys in less friendly areas probably would get charged with something.

Reminds of that guy that shot a dump truck with something like 100lbs of Tannerite inside. Shut down a nuclear power plant nearby. The fuzz had to research what to charge him with. I think it ended up being criminal mischief.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I've decided to play it safe and put out a few feelers. I don't want to be charged with unlicensed blasting so at the most I'd be doing 5lbs of powder at a time. State law.

We'll see though. If it all works out it sure seems like a fun time!
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Seems like a very inefficient way to burn expensive black powder to me.

Why not just build a bowling ball mortar and launch rocks out of it?

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

There's no military utility to that. I'm trying to learn things.

ETA: Unless I'm missing some key words in my searching - there are no available videos of a stone/rock fougasse being fired. I'll have to change that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Generally something like this would be dug into a defensive position and used only as a last resort, in modern times, often used in conjunction with AP mines, Claymore or other command det directional frag mines, Thickened fuel (sometimes referred to as foogas), and wire obstacles.  in and of itself it would look a lot like blasting a ditch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn you guys.

Heading down the rabbit hole........
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Makes me think that it’s like a muzzle loader.  You’re probably fine in MT, but those guys in less friendly areas probably would get charged with something.

Reminds of that guy that shot a dump truck with something like 100lbs of Tannerite inside. Shut down a nuclear power plant nearby. The fuzz had to research what to charge him with. I think it ended up being criminal mischief.
View Quote

IIRC, he was in New Jersey - which ultimately sealed his fate.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Expensive?  I haven’t priced salt peter, charcoal and sulfur in a while, but last I checked, it’ was pretty cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top