Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2018 3:16:30 PM EDT
I use my Dillon 650 for most things but I have a Rock Chucker for some stuff.  I have been using a chargemaster 1500 bud it is just to slow no matter what mods i do.  Ive suffered through a few thousand rds with it but i cant take it anymore.  Its good for load development but thats it?

Which competition dispenser?  Rcbs or redding?  Harrel is to much....
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the answer is going to be "It depends".

What are you loading for, caliber(s) and purpose?

What powders are you loading (ball, stick, flake)

What kind of precision are you looking for?

I have the RCBS quick change and a Lyman Gen6 power trickler that I use for precision loads.  I pretty much use stick powder for rifle so I will drop a charge from the measure about 1.5gr light and let the Lyman trickle it to the finish.

Just some thoughts and questions.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
When I started loading it was with RCBS which included a Uniflow.  Over the years I've polished the measure, added a baffle then the small and large micrometer stems.

That coupled with a Redding trickler and a 10/10 scale and I've always had acceptable accuracy with everything from ball to extruded.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]
This is all second hand knowledge but it is often repeated from credible sources.

The Lee Perfect Powder Measure is supposedly one of the best (most consistent) measures for extruded powders (large granules).

It is useless for ball powders, as they dribble out, but for large granules, it is supposed to be really very good, no matter the price.  With extruded powders, it works well above what you expect given its price (~$20-$30?).
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy the Redding or better yet a Harrell's Precision.

Redding BR-30 will handle cartridges up to .308.

Redding BR-3 will handle larger cartridges.

Harrell's Precision makes the best powder measure on the market. I trust it completely. It has a scale with micrometer click adjustments so you can record and return to your previous settings with confidence.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Compare prices, the Harrell's isn't that much more expensive than Redding's best measures.

I will say this, I owned a RCBS Uniflow and it would not throw extruded powders very well at all. I tried all the tricks, polishing, baffles, you name it. It just was a get me close powder measure, I'll have to trickle up the rest.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Im not talking about the uniflow.  Rcbs has a competition powder measure now.  Will throw mostly ball powders.  May pick up a lee for imr 4895.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I ended up ordering a Redding 30BR

I will use it for .308, .30-06, and .44 mag when I am loading magnum/max loads.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top