Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2018 10:10:31 PM EDT
Any experience? Quality? LGS by me has recommended them. Would like some additional input before taking the plungez
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of them, website smells Chinesey.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
They are located just a few blocks from me. I am not an OTF kind of person but they seem to be pretty popular around here. I have noticed they don't hold their value very well. I see them pop up on offerup all the time for half price, or even less, and most look brand new.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Chinese parts and tremendously overpriced
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
They import and the same knives can apparently be found for a fraction of the cost direct from China.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife gave me one.

They seem pretty good quality.  I'd never use it for daily use because it's not that kind of knife.
It would poke someone pretty good if necessary.

I've actuated the mechanism probably thousands of times and it's still flawless.

Supposedly they have a lifetime warranty.

Like others have said, they are a Chinese knife but a cheap way of getting into an otf knife.

Just get one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies!
I think I'll save up for a Benchmade
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I would recommend getting a Microtech or Benchmade over any RavenCrest. There is a lot of blade play in the RCs. They also are super loud with a twang sound much like, but tremendously louder, than the twang of an AR15 buffer spring.

I bought one of their Spartan Cerakote knives for $200. I also bought a Delta Force OTF for $45 and another that was only $19. I compared the three of them. While the Spartan is a different body than the Delta and the $19 knives, RC has their RCT1 that has the same body as the Delta Force. The RCs are heavy being made of Zinc Alloy while the DF is aluminum and weighs 3oz less. The DF gets the nod here.

The finish on the DF is the standard rubber grip finish that can be found on some of the RCs. The $19 one has a paint finish. Of the three the Cerakote finish of the RC is nicer and more durable. But as many gun owners already know, Cerakote will wear fast if carried. Both of the cheaper knives had chips/wear in the finish right out of the box. RC gets the nod here.

The contours of the upper and lower body panels match up perfectly on the RCs. They cheaper two had many non lined up contours. Definitely have to give RC the nod on this category.

Blade sharpness otb. The RCs are said to have their edge given to them. I do not know if mine was just a mess-up or what but the blade was not very sharp. The DF blade was sharp enough to shave with. The $19 one did not have any edge to it at all. It looked like they passed it over a grinder one time per side just to remove the black paint and give the appearance of an edge. DF gets the nod here. While the RC beat the $19 I was pissed to have paid $200 for a knife that cant even cut paper.

Internally the RC  was the more refined knife. The unseen blade lines (the part of the blade that stays inside the body of the knife) of the RC were crisp. They were still at 90s to each side. The corners smooth but crisp. Looked like decent craftsmanship in the making of the over all blade. Decent until you popped the other two blades out and then the RC blade looked like high quality, that is until you look at a Microtech blade. The DF blade had edges ground down. The right side vs left side were not parallel like on the RC. The $19 one's blade looked like it had started out longer and then was ground down a good amount. All blades work correctly in their bodies though. The RC blade is thicker than the other two and would not fit in either body. The DF blade fit in the RC body but did not function correctly. The $19 blade fit in both other bodies but did not function in either.

Blade play. The RC had the most play at 1/8" in both side to side and fore and aft when measured at the tip of the blade. The DF had slightly less than this. The $19 had less than half of that surprisingly. The $19 knife got the nod here.

All in all I found that there are more than a few places that the RC knives are better built than the cheaper knives. But I also found that the cheaper knives win in some categories too. My overall opinion on the pricing is that the RC knives are over priced. But not to the level that some like to suggest even though they have never owned one. Without the Cerakote finish I would say they are worth only a little more than the Delta Force knives. With the Cerakote finish I would be willing to pay around $80 for the RC knives. The only reason I say they are worth a little more is the refinement qualities of the RC over the other two. If you want lighter weight then the DF is a better choice. The blades sharpness can be fixed but weight and body panels lining up cannot be fixed. One thing to note is that you can find the Delta Force knives for around $40 and all the way to $100 for the exact same knife. None of these 3 are worth $100.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:59:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy a benchmade Infidel if you want an OTF.   The ravencrest are junk.  I've seen them at several conferences and have witnessed display models not working properly- switch would not actuate blades.   Saw this at 2 different conferences
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#10]
They sell them for $50 at the gun shows.  I just picked up one over the weekend.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top