Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2021 3:26:20 PM EDT
I collect surplus rifles, with the main area of interest being Russian/Soviet/Finnish firearms.  Mostly the bolt action rifles as they are/were more affordable.  Sharing some of the less common/rare models.  I haven't bought any Mosins for almost a year.  I was lucky to find some of these on auctions for decent prices over the years.  Most are very scarce/uncommon, with few being rare.  I might have to make a few sections in this post in order to provide info and photos.

First is a 1916 dated Dragoon rifle.  What makes this uncommon/rare is mainly the stock.  Early rifles did not have a cross bolt in the stocks.  The hand guard is also pretty scarce/rare.  It's a 2nd pattern hand guard.  The first pattern wrapped around the rear sight and had arshin graduation markings on it. The second pattern did not fully wrap around the rear sight, but is obviously different than the commonly seen later hand guards on 91/30 and later era Dragoon rifles.  This stock isn't original to the rifle as the stocks would have had a cross bolt by 1916.  There are no import markings on the rifle.

Second is a 1916 Izhevsk M91 that was overstruck with a 1918 date.  Some rifles did have the date struck out with a new date added.  The year makes this uncommon.  The revolution had taken place, and not many rifles were produced during this time.  It's rare to see one dated 1918.  I have no idea on the background of this.  The rifle does not have imperial markings, and the receiver tang has no date. I assume this may have been built with spare parts during the revolution, or it was placed into service during the revolution.  I'm not entirely familiar with the process of how/when the date was added to the barrels.

Next is a rare rifle.  This was originally a Tula M91.  It's rare to find a 1918 dated Tula.  It's odd that this rifle has imperial markings after the tsarist rule had ended.  At some point, the rifle was converted to a 91/30.  I don't know what country did these conversions, but they are also rare/uncommon.  The barrel was shortened and turned down.  A barrel sleeve with a front sight post was welded/soldered on.  91/30 rear sight was welded on.  I believe the dovetail for the M91 rear sight base was different, and hence the reason the 91/30 base was welded on.  The rifle looks pretty rough and was probably imported from Romania.

Two 1919 date Tula M91s.  Tula had three different roll markings in 1919.  Two of those are pictured below.  I don't have the other roll mark.  It features a large hammer, with script writing.  These two have the star mark and the double star.  The double star marking is less common/rare.

Next is a Polish conversion to 8mm Mauser.  I believe these were performed in 1925-1927, but be wrong with the exact years.  This one is a 91/98/25.  The barrels were shortened and turned down to accept the Polish bayonets.  A Mauser 98 front band/bayonet lug was used on the forend.  Sling attachment methods varied on these rifles.  Mine has an M91 rear band that was altered to be able to be used with a sling.  The M91 hand guards were shortened on these as well as the M91 stocks.  Serial numbers were added to almost all of the parts.  The magazine, receiver, chamber, ejector/interrupter, and bolt were all altered to accept the 7.92x57 round.  Poland produced these at two plants.  Mine was produced at Arma Lwow, which, I believe, is now in the Ukraine.  Poland apparently needed arms in the 1920s and converted captured M91 rifles until they had a steady production of Mauser rifles.  This rifle is missing the forend, hand guard, and front band assembly.  Bolt is not matching to the rifle, but it is the correct bolt for the rifle.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I wasn't sure how many words I can post in a single thread, so I'm adding more rifles here.

This is what collectors call a transitional rifle.  These were produced in the early 1930s, when the Dragoon rifles were being phased out for the new 91/30 rifles.  Features a bladed front sight and button bands.  These were supplied with a hooded bayonet which protected the front sight. I don't own a bayonet for the rifle.  This is ALMOST all matching.  For some reason, it has a Tula stock. I don't see these too often. I incorrectly said "No import markings", and deleted the comment.  I got mixed up.  It doesn't have any refurb markings.  Import mark is obvious on the receiver.

Finn captured 91/30 Tula.  The front sight is what makes this rare/uncommon.  For some reason, the Finns altered the front sight post on some of the 91/30 rifles.  The alteration is the main thing that makes this rare/uncommon.  

Next is a Finnish captured PU sniper.  Rifle has all original parts except for the bolt and cleaning rod (Tula marked).  I surmise the rifles scope was destroyed by a Soviet soldier prior to being captured, hence the reason it no longer has the original scope and mount.  Due to it not having a scope, the Finns probably just installed a straight bolt, and put the rifle into service as they needed to arms during the war.  During the 1950s, the Finns only had 200 captured PU sniper rifles in their inventory.  So, these are a fairly rare find.

Last is a Nagant revolver.  This is marked as a training pistol.  These are rare.   I don't have much info. I assume this was designated as a trainer by the Soviets.  The "Yy" marking was used to mark arms that were used for training.  Revolvers that were worn or had issues were used for this role.  The hammer axis must have broken off and a new axis was screwed into the frame.  The cylinder does not seal on the frame.  I'm guessing these issues caused this to be used for training purposes.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Honorable mentions are a 1942 dated PU sniper and a 1941 straight stock, PL marked M39.  1942 was the first year of production, and I think only 2,000 Izhevsk PUs were made that year.  These aren't terribly rare, but they're not as common as the later year rifles.  The straight stock M39s are less common (the first ~6,000 M39 stocks did not have pistol grip), and the PL marking is also less common on rifles.  A 1941 M39 with a PL marking isn't terribly rare--I think it might be the most commonly marked PL rifle.  But, they aren't very common either.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Very informative and cool post.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice collection and nice pictures.

Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice,

Now that my Soviet m44s are done, I may have to start filling out my M91s a bit more.

Tula 1943-48 izzy
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice,

Now that my Soviet m44s are done, I may have to start filling out my M91s a bit more.

Tula 1943-48 izzy
https://i.imgur.com/YcKcMS0.jpg?1
View Quote

Not getting any Tula's for the M44s?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome thread!! I sold my mosins during my divorce 8 years ago.. makes me sick
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not getting any Tula's for the M44s?
View Quote

He is there. Far left, they only did one year of production.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I forgot one.  1932 VKT M27.  These are scarce, but the most common date for the VKT M27 manufacture.  1935 VKT M27s are fairly rare, and 1934 date is extremely rare.  This rifle was refurbished in Finland prior to import. It is in an M28/30 stock.

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#10]
My 1932 VKT is also in a M28/30 stock, my 1935 VKT is in a standard M27 Ski/Bicycle trooper stock though.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:16:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Willy:

You have a very nice collection of Mosins.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I have owned and shot a few over the years.
For me I would be most interested in the American made and used ones.

I know the US took possession of a significant number after the communist takeover and put USmarkings on them, and used them as training rifles to free up Springfields and 1917’s for combat deployment and also issued some to the expeditionary force that fought in Russia just after World War One
As I recall Remington and New England Westinghouse made them.

I know of one ( in possession by a family member of mine) that was a presentation gift for a Remington employee of the time. Unfired mint deluxe figured wood, serialized matching bayonet, etc.
it is part of a very rare presentation set of the 3 Remington made foreign contract rifles of World War One a French Berthier Russian Mosin and British P14.
As I understand it only something like a dozen or so of these sets were made most of which are in museums.
The family member mentioned has the complete set, with some documents regarding the employee presented the set. Some sort of shop foreman/ engineer who managed production
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  Awesome thread!! I sold my mosins during my divorce 8 years ago.. makes me sick
View Quote

Probably was the least expensive getaway you could manage at the time.  The best revenge is living well.

OP, thanks for this thread.  The Finns put the prettiest wood on their Mosins.

I think I'm down to 3 - a sporterized antique Russian and a sporterized Remington, and a proper Finn, given to me by my brother.  I sold the sporterized 91/30 w/ no sights & missing scope mount, kept the aftermarket bolt handle & carrier for the Remington.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:05:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have owned and shot a few over the years.
For me I would be most interested in the American made and used ones.

I know the US took possession of a significant number after the communist takeover and put USmarkings on them, and used them as training rifles to free up Springfields and 1917’s for combat deployment and also issued some to the expeditionary force that fought in Russia just after World War One
As I recall Remington and New England Westinghouse made them.

I know of one ( in possession by a family member of mine) that was a presentation gift for a Remington employee of the time. Unfired mint deluxe figured wood, serialized matching bayonet, etc.
it is part of a very rare presentation set of the 3 Remington made foreign contract rifles of World War One a French Berthier Russian Mosin and British P14.
As I understand it only something like a dozen or so of these sets were made most of which are in museums.
The family member mentioned has the complete set, with some documents regarding the employee presented the set. Some sort of shop foreman/ engineer who managed production
View Quote

Those would be very valuable, and very nice to look at.  The Remington should be a 1907/15, and they are nice looking rifles.  

I can't remember all the details on the U.S. made M91s that stayed stateside.  Russia reneged on the contract after the revolution, so the U.S. manufacturers were stuck with the firearms.  They were used by U.S. troops  and have the U.S. proof markings. They generally bring a premium, especially if they are in good/excellent condition.  I have a Westinghouse. Sold my Remington a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can't remember all the details on the U.S. made M91s that stayed stateside.  Russia reneged on the contract after the revolution, so the U.S. manufacturers were stuck with the firearms.  They were used by U.S. troops  and have the U.S. proof markings. They generally bring a premium, especially if they are in good/excellent condition.  I have a Westinghouse. Sold my Remington a year or two ago.
View Quote

Most that stayed stateside either got handed out to National Guard units or were used for basic training. Lots of them were later sold surplus through the DCM and the NRA in the 30's and Bannerman got his hands on some as well. At least 5000 were sold to Mexico in the late 20's, Mexico later sent some of these too the Spanish Republicans during the Spanish Civil war. I have a SCW Remington M91 that from the serial number has to be on of these "Mexicanski"  Mosin's. I also have a curious N.E.W. M91 that has U.S. surcharge marks but clearly left the U.S. at some point and was rebuilt using Russian parts but has no Finnish or Spanish marks, no idea where she's been.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Remington "Cadet" rifle. Remington M91 that is non firing and shortened for use as a US training rifle. They were assemble from parts after the USSR reneged on the contract and can be in different states of assembly. Some are almost 100% finished and some are just non machined barrel blanks threaded into the receiver with no sights, chamber or bolt.

I also have Finned Remington's and NEW that are absolutely awesome shooters.

Attachment Attached File

My favorite Mosins are the Finn M27s.  I have most and just need a 1927, 1936 and a 1934/35 VKT.

Here is an older photo of some of the M27s. Its too much of a pain to round up rifles for photos as I have them stacked away in safes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Neat,  I had a Finn captured svt38 once....
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is an interesting Finn captured rifle. Not rare but shows its history.

Starts life as a 1916 Tula but was remarked 1931 during its rebuild into a M91/30.
Not too many are double marked this way.
Attachment Attached File

On top of the tang is is also marked 20 and a Tula hammer so it was also refurbished in 1920, likely to repair it after WW1.
Attachment Attached File

After getting refurbished in 1931/32 it was captured in 1941 and marked by the Finns.
Attachment Attached File

When it was made into a 91/30 it was actually a transitional 91/30 as seen by the front sights. I do have a correct Panshin bayonet for it.
Attachment Attached File

Rifle is in nice Finn condition. I like how its history is show with the stamps and markings.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's one of my personal favorite Finn's, a Civilian Sales M28. These were originally made to be sold as private purchase rifles to Finnish  Civil Guardsmen and some may also have been sold to Finnish police departments. In 1942, during the Continuation War the Finnish Army as suffering from a rifle shortage and the   Government appealed to the Finnish populace to donate military style firearms in private hands to the Army. Many personally owned rifles as well as trophy weapons captured during the Winter War and even the earlier Finnish Civil War were turned over to the Finnish military. That is likely how this one ended up in a Finnish Army    storage site where it was eventually sold off as surplus and imported into the U.S. Most of these Civilian Sales M28's remain in Finland, this is one of only 18(at last count) known to be in the U.S.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I was late to the game on Mosins, but I did manage to find two 1941 Tulas, and an Izhevsk with double struck receiver markings:

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Avert yer eyes - sporterized pics:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

More to follow.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And now you finally see why I bought this rifle...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I say the rarest one I have had is a Finnish P26 M91
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#26]
This is my rarest. There doesn't seem to be much information available on this model either. It is an 1894 receiver date, captured by the Austrians in WWI and converted to 8x50R, then sold to Finland post war and a chamber insert brazed in to make it 7.62x54R again. The only marking present on the receiver is the number 50. The pics I have of it are on my old computer that crashed, I'll have to take some new ones.

ETA, I posted on Gunboards about it a couple of years ago and I think there was speculation that it might be a pre P series rifle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  This is my rarest. There doesn't seem to be much information available on this model either. It is an 1894 receiver date, captured by the Austrians in WWI and converted to 8x50R, then sold to Finland post war and a chamber insert brazed in to make it 7.62x54R again. The only marking present on the receiver is the number 50. The pics I have of it are on my old computer that crashed, I'll have to take some new ones.

ETA, I posted on Gunboards about it a couple of years ago and I think there was speculation that it might be a pre P series rifle.
View Quote

The French were the 1st to manufacture Mosins, under contract.  Russian production started after that, so you might have a very early Russian production gun.  What's the bore diameter after the Austrians bored it out for 8mm?
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is my rarest. There doesn't seem to be much information available on this model either. It is an 1894 receiver date, captured by the Austrians in WWI and converted to 8x50R, then sold to Finland post war and a chamber insert brazed in to make it 7.62x54R again. The only marking present on the receiver is the number 50. The pics I have of it are on my old computer that crashed, I'll have to take some new ones.

View Quote

Took a little digging, but I found one of your threads on the rifle.  Looks like a Tula receiver, and the rear sight graduations were changed by Austria, then lined out by Finland.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#29]

This one is a fairly rare bird, it was captured and refurbished by the Germans before going to Finland to continue the fight against the Russians.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Additionally, from what I've been told the sling is more valuable than the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Additionally, from what I've been told the sling is more valuable than the rifle.
View Quote

I don't know if the sling is more valuable.  Two piece slings sold for $100-150 (the last time I've seen one sell).  Yours could be a more rare one, IDK.  I'd think the German captured rifles would be more valuable....at least for somebody who was looking for one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228016/20210531_101413-1961870.jpg
This one is a fairly rare bird, it was captured and refurbished by the Germans before going to Finland to continue the fight against the Russians.
View Quote

Sling is worth about 150$ or so. Other than the polished rear sight what other German rework traits does it have?  The bolt isn't blued, any markings on the stock?
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#34]
The butt plate numbering is in a font used by the Germans on returned Mosins.
You can search my user name at gunboard forums and probably find the thread where it was discussed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#35]
https://www.gunboards.com/threads/sa-marked-1938-tula.575001/page-2#lg=thread-575001&slide=5
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Yup, that's the one.
The cleaning rod is in the white as well, it's the only Mosin out of a dozen that I have like that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The butt plate numbering is in a font used by the Germans on returned Mosins.
You can search my user name at gunboard forums and probably find the thread where it was discussed.
View Quote

I remember that post now, I read it while researching my own German rework M91/30. Mine is a 1939 Izhevsk that was reworked at the German depot in Krakow, Poland. It's factory original except for the blued bolt the Germans replaced and has its Kru1 marked stock.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#38]
She's a beauty!
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Since we've spent a couple posts discussing German captured Mosin's how about a Japanese captured Mosin. This is a 1917 Tula M91 that was captured by the Japanese, likely during the Allied intervention in Vladivastok between 1919 and 1921 and then converted into a single shot training rifle for use at the Meiji University in Tokyo. It was brought home after the war by a American G.I.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#40]
That's a super neat rifle!
While I don't have a jap captured Mosin, I do have a captured type 38 carbine with the only known purpose built rubberized canvas sling.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#42]
That's sweet!
It would be rusty from me drooling on it!
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I’d be really interested in seeing one of the WWI Austrian Captures, that were rechambered to 8x50R but not rebarreled.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd like an Austrian or German capture as well (one that hasn't been through another country after WW1).  Those are tough to find.  I've only seen a few for sale.  One auction had couple German capture rifles, which I should have bid higher on.  Haven't seen them at auction since (that was around 2015).

With regards to the museum photos, it looks like the Chatellerault might be in its original stock.  They were made of walnut.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:  I'd like an Austrian or German capture as well (one that hasn't been through another country after WW1).  Those are tough to find.  I've only seen a few for sale.  One auction had couple German capture rifles, which I should have bid higher on.  Haven't seen them at auction since (that was around 2015).

With regards to the museum photos, it looks like the Chatellerault might be in its original stock.  They were made of walnut.
View Quote

Errrk.  French made Mosin?  Which one?
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Its a few photos up.  Guy said he had photos of German captured Mosin from a museum.  Its the one that says "Deutschland" on the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:  Its a few photos up.  Guy said he had photos of German captured Mosin from a museum.  Its the one that says "Deutschland" on the receiver.
View Quote

That's what I thought you said, but wasn't sure.  I was looking for the Made In France stamp.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#49]
All 3 types of Finnish M28/30 rifles. The one with the M28 style front sight on the bottom is nearly impossible to find.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top