Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/30/2019 9:50:15 PM EDT
Placeholder to resurrect my camo thread from the archive.

A couple years ago, it was nearly impossible to find a few kinds of milsurp camo on the market.  The hardest was Norwegian M98.  Both "woodland" and "desert" variants. It's out there now, significantly.  If you want some, buy it now. I've been on the lookout for non-pixelated milsurp camo since 2012.  It's a good time to be looking.

Formerly unobtainum, but out there, relatively easy to get now:

Swedish M90.
Norway M98.
Australian AUSCAM and AUSCAM Desert
Austrian "peas and dots"
Finland M05
Swiss TAZ90
Italian M29
Greek "Lizard" Camo
Finland M62 Camo.
Tibet 03 camo
Irish DPM
French CCE
Belgian M90 Jigsaw
German Tropentarn (desert)
German Aridfleck.
Russian made, mil issue of WWII German patterns. (Every German pattern of note, is available from Russian sources as milsurp camo. Tan and Water, Splinter, all SS oakleaf patterns, etc.)

Still unobtainum and I'm trying hard to get:
Latvian Pixelated
Legit Rhodesian or faithful repro
Zaire Leopard
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I passed-up on some repro Rhodesian "Splash" (might not be the correct term) camo "T"-shirts long, long, time ago, and have regretted it since.  Came and went like a whirlwind, which makes me suspect they were SA originals. Seems like such a design might nowadays be "popular" with those who did not know their origin.  As for myself, I have no problem with that.

I applaud intelligent collection, and subsequent, detailed, photos of various collected items.  I hope that you will share with us the fruits of your collection.  Doing so might benefit other collectors.
View Quote
I have a thread starting in '12 that got gobbled up by the server.  That said, I was a poor custodian of said thread and was posting haphazardly.

Unfortunately, I used photofucket for images. I'll pick a better host going forward.

My object, at the time, was to counter the "pixelated" camo trend.  It seems that pixelated camo is no longer in favor...that said, it also seems that there are numerous first rate militaries making a transition to new camo.  If one is a collector, there are few instances I can think of where the availability of first rate, little used camo is readily available.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Source for Italian M29?
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Fireforce Ventures has Rhodesian brushstroke on modern bdu style clothes, but I dunno the accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure it isn't rare, but source for Danish camo?
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Been trying to find some Australian AUSCAM and AUSCAM Desert but I haven’t been having any luck.

Mentioning the Austrian "peas and dots" brings back some memories from my youth. I used to see the parkas all the time in surplus stores. After watching Navy SEALs recently, I wouldn’t mind finding some again.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fireforce Ventures has Rhodesian brushstroke on modern bdu style clothes, but I dunno the accuracy.
View Quote
The pattern is good, but, obviously, the Rhodesians didn't use the BDU-style.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Source for Italian M29?
View Quote
There’s one on eBay right now. Not sure if the seller will ship outside Italy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Source for Italian M29?
View Quote
I bought from a couple sources, all listed as "San Marco" camo variants.  Sportsman's guide had the regular issue until not too long ago.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Been trying to find some Australian AUSCAM and AUSCAM Desert but I haven't been having any luck.

Mentioning the Austrian "peas and dots" brings back some memories from my youth. I used to see the parkas all the time in surplus stores. After watching Navy SEALs recently, I wouldn't mind finding some again.
View Quote
There's twill current production BDU cut peas and dots.  Sportsman's guide had some, I bought my commerical from a european site, but a couple pairs of surplus from Omaha surplus, IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Australia...

AUSCAM-Commercial. Platatac brand. Ripstop.  Australian "cut" trousers.

AUSCAM Boonie Hat. Commercial. Ripstop.

ETA 2/4/19

Milsurp AUSCAM desert pattern. Light twill fabric. The "yellow" looks like French Vanilla yellow to the eye.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Austria...

ETA 4/3/19 Austrian Boonie hat made from surplus shelter half. Peas and dots on one side, tan and water pattern on other.  Reversable for wear as hat.

Commercial Peas and Dots. Twill fabric. US BDU pattern.

Peas and Dots.  Military Surplus.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Belgium

Congo Brushstroke Camo. Circa 1956. Overpants. Heavy canvas. Surplus.

Same pants, interior.

Original (?) Jigsaw pattern. Twill fabric.  Surplus.

Surplus 1990's Jigsaw. Twill. More or less US BDU cut.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Bulgaria...

Surplus Splinter Pattern, late Warsaw pact, circa late 1980's (obvious WWII German influence).

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#15]
China...

Surplus (Police? Military?) "Tibet" pixelated pattern.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Czech...

Commercial M95 Pattern, US BDU cut, ripstop.

Czech made, Police (?) surplus UK DPM pattern Level IV Body Armor with ceramic plates.

Nomenclature tag on inside of ceramic plate

Nomenclature tag from inside carrier

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Denmark...
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#18]
France...

Surplus "gore tex" (not actually gore tex, the French equivalent) parka.  CCE Pattern.

Commercial "CCE" inspired camo, African contract, French Cut trousers.

Commercial, Lizard repro, twill. Original cut. (Color is off, they got the dye job wrong, I think).

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Germany....

Including, WWII patterns, BW, NVA

ETA Brain fart. See post below.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Greece...

Commercial, Greek "Lizard Pattern" ripstop, US ACU cut.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Hungary...
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#22]
India...

Surplus "Fern" pattern. Twill. I would say this is the same weight as US Woodland "winter" BDU's.  The cut reminds me of 1950's era British military trousers. These have been made within the past 20 years or so though.

Surplus, noted by seller as "Para" pattern. Whatever that means.  The fabric is not ripstop, but is a very lighweight twill. I'm guessing they are hot weather use.  Same cut as the Fern pattern.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Ireland...

Surplus Irish DPM.  Ripstop. The brown in the pattern has a redish appearance that doesn't come though in the pic. Very high quality.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Italy...

Surplus mimetico deserto

Marine battlion M29 (contains a sea green), heavyweight twill

Same pants

Army M29, placeholder...

mimetico Vegetata & desert, placeholder....
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Norway...

Commercial M98 Woodland, Ripstop, Unique cut. (High quality)

Commercial, pre-M98 (ETA M75 pattern, I think), twill, US BDU cut.

ETA 2/4/19
Milsurp, NOS never issued.  Norway M98, (UK made) Ripstop. Purchased from a Lithuanian seller.

ETA 2/19/19 Norway Desert M98 (M03?) Misurp, unissued.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Poland...

Commercial, Polish woodland WZ93 Pantera, US ACU Cut with additions

Desert

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Russia...

With Soviet patterns, if I bought them from Russia, I'll list them under Russia.  If I bought a pattern used by the Soviets from another country as surplus, I will list under that country.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:45:33 AM EDT
[#28]
South Africa...
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Sri Lanka...

Milsurp, Sri Lanka jungle pattern, extremely lightweight (hot weather?) trousers.  Very low quality.  Summarily executing hogtied Tamil rebels in a controlled enviornment?  No problem.   Would not have wanted to wear these in a combat enviornment.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Sweden...

ETA Added 2/21/19

Commercial M90 Desert pattern. Ripstop. Proprietary cut by Swedish brand "Tac Up Gear". Permethrin treated.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Switzerland...

Surplus, TAZ 90 Woodland

Surplus, M83 "Alpenflage".  Rit dyed surplus on left, original surplus on right.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Ukraine...

Surplus Soviet TTSKO

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#33]
United Kingdom...

Milsurp DPM pattern, ripstop, Soldier 95 cut

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#34]
United States...

ETA 5/13/18 Night Camo, surplus (like new)

ETA 2/19/19 "Chocolate chips"

Commercial Tigerstripe, Ripstop, BDU Cut

Mil issue (to me) DCU blouse (with 1st ID "combat patch") ripstop, BDU cut (upper middle of pic, trousers are Polish).

Mil issue (to me) Woodland patrol cap (with E7 sew on Rank) ripstop.

Mil issue Massif Combat shirts, both UCP pattern. Left is UCP, right I Rit Dyed to approximate UCP Delta pattern.

Mil issue OD laundry bag.  Massif combat shirt, originally UCP pattern, now Rit Dyed 50/50 Kelly Green/Black

Mil issue, UCP, ACU Cut trousers, Rit Dyed 50/50 Pearl Gray/Kelly Green

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Zimbabwe...
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Germany....

Including, WWII patterns, BW, NVA
View Quote
ETA 5/18/19 East German Surplus, Rain pattern "Strichtarn".  I can't say these were unissued, but there's very little evidence of use and no laundry marks.

Commercial, WWII Oakleaf camo pattern, twill fabric, US BDU Cut.

Commercial (IIRC) "Aridfleck" pattern, Ripstop fabric, US ACU cut.

Surplus "Flecktarn"

Commercial, WWII "repro" Waffen SS pattern.  Turns out to be a "Blem". Manufacturer omitted one of the colors by mistake.  Don't know which pattern, they were crazy cheap, which is why I bought them.  Cotton poplin/linen overpants.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
Finland...
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Israel.  OR-201 Orlite Helmet with scrim and camoband.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Very early Yugoslav camo, supposedly made in East Germany. It's referred to as the "mountain" pattern. Also has trousers, mittens, and a hip bag that can carry all of it. I have two sets of these.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Commercial, WWII Oakleaf camo pattern, twill fabric, US BDU Cut.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/toecutter_01/1a1%20recent%20bdu/IMG_2018_zpsvoxzxshf.jpg
View Quote
Where can I find these?  Really like the pattern.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Where can I find these?  Really like the pattern.
View Quote
Pretty sure I got these at sportsman's guide
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Pretty sure I got these at sportsman's guide
View Quote
Thanks.  Off to search...
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 2:40:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seemed very dark to me, but I have no real reference.  Like it was green-based instead of tan.  I'll get some pics.  Bought too big on the Fireforce pants and need to put them on the EE.  Combat shirt and different pants on order from them.

I have an old set from the late '80s that worked great in north Texas red dirt playing paintball, but it might be pretty faded.

Fireforce also had some operator caps in Rhodie, they are awesome.  Totally replaced my usual Multicam hat, nice and unique but modern style.

Edit: my personal grail item of clothing would be the British PCS MTP smock, but in a good Rhodie pattern.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Very early Yugoslav camo, supposedly made in East Germany. It's referred to as the "mountain" pattern. Also has trousers, mittens, and a hip bag that can carry all of it. I have two sets of these.
https://i.postimg.cc/fRYRgMqC/Yugoslav-Camo.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/fWvFCpvd/Yugoslav-camo-3.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/xC1H2XWn/Yugoslav-camo-2.jpg
View Quote
That's an interesting pattern. The brown looks like it has a red hue to it
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's an interesting pattern. The brown looks like it has a red hue to it
View Quote
Yes there is definitely some red. If you turn it inside out, it also makes excellent winter camouflage. I really think that there is validity to the concept of a reversible camouflage suit that goes over a regular uniform.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Updated Norway, Ukraine, Switzerland, Sri Lanka, UK, United States.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thanks.  Off to search...
View Quote
If you can't find any, PM me. I think I bought 2 pairs.  Would sell you one for cost plus shipping. Equivalent of NATO Medium Regular.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Updated Norway, Ukraine, Switzerland, Sri Lanka, UK, United States.
View Quote
Updated Norway, Desert AUSCAM
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Added Norway Desert Milsurp above.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It seemed very dark to me, but I have no real reference.  Like it was green-based instead of tan.  I'll get some pics.  Bought too big on the Fireforce pants and need to put them on the EE.  Combat shirt and different pants on order from them.

I have an old set from the late '80s that worked great in north Texas red dirt playing paintball, but it might be pretty faded.

Fireforce also had some operator caps in Rhodie, they are awesome.  Totally replaced my usual Multicam hat, nice and unique but modern style.

Edit: my personal grail item of clothing would be the British PCS MTP smock, but in a good Rhodie pattern.
View Quote
Oh good, I was going to get the cap in Rhodie. My Multicam cap is from when Crye first started making them and it is showing it's age.

Brushstroke is my favorite pattern type. I love to see some modern jackets in Rhodie or Congo Belgian, etc.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top