Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2019 6:02:12 PM EDT
Been shooting more and more for distance at night. Either with a 3x on the pvs or a clip on on my 10x NSX.

One thing I’ve been struggling with is guessing range at night.

I’m generally pretty good with guesstimating yardage during the day. From 100-6-700 I can get myself pretty close. Under nods this seems pretty darn impossible.

What do others do under this scenario? Is the best idea to start familiarization with common items to guesstimate range? Fencepost ext?
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The discontinued SWR Radius is pretty popular for night time longer range shooting. You’ll be able to find a bunch more photos of setups and reviews over on Sniper’s Hide but here’s one example.

Sorry I wish it was easier to snag a photo and link it here from mobile.

https://images.app.goo.gl/nWBDguaQ8ns2PLUE9
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
SWR Radius if you can find one.  They are priceless for unknown distance long range night vision shooting.  I have little to no use for it in daytime but it has a quickish-detach mount so it comes off and on easily.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Why did it get discontinued?
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
No reason to make it more complicated. You want one of these.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:13:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Have used one of these and holy shit they are amazing. Optical zoom is bonkers with thermal.

I have been using a plrf with nods and it works very well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#8]
SWR Radius looks like it was an awesome piece of kit for 1k. Wondering why they discontinued that as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree! I'll pm you my address. Ship me one when you get a moment. Save some money and use a flat rate usps box.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#10]
At most realistic distances you can see a rangefinders IR laser “pinging” off the object. This has worked well enough for me to use the rangefinder in one eye and my -14 in the other. It takes a bit of practice, but I have ranged out to 500 at night.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
SWR Radius looks like it was an awesome piece of kit for 1k. Wondering why they discontinued that as well.
View Quote
Because it wasn't awesome, a hand held is way more useful.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I know the question was with nods but I know with thermal, you get pretty good at telling by the size of the animal at a specific scope magnification level. Another trick typically with thermal is once you can start to differentiate various heat elements on the animal such as the face and legs are much warmer than the body on the coyote, it is inside 250 yards. This varies on brand and base magnification, but holds fairly true on many thermals.

Boblov and Laserworks makes a very reasonable one that can be found on Amazon. It will probably get you to 250 to maybe 300 yards on a coyote, and around 600-700 on buildings, trees, etc. I recently received one from Uineye which seems to have a little more range than the previous two mentioned. I need to do more testing to see if it really has more range or not but it seams to bump the coyote sized animal to 350-400 and you can range large objects to around 900+. These solutions are not a Radius but they will at least tell you if a coyote is close enough so you don't need any hold-over at a reasonable price between  $100-$130.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
At most realistic distances you can see a rangefinders IR laser “pinging” off the object. This has worked well enough for me to use the rangefinder in one eye and my -14 in the other. It takes a bit of practice, but I have ranged out to 500 at night.
View Quote
Your NODs can see your rangefinder's laser? Huh.  I don't think this works for me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Your NODs can see your rangefinder's laser? Huh.  I don't think this works for me.
View Quote
Oh god, I'm smelling another OOB conversation brewing.

Very basically, many civi rangefinders use a pulsing infrared laser that is visible to common NVGs, so it's sometimes doable to look through your NVGs at the target and activate your rangefinder without looking through it, then walk the blinking dot/bar-shape onto the target, let go of the button, then quickly look into the eyepiece to see what number is reading.

There are however different wavelengths that rangefinders use, and many of the higher power ones are up in the 1500nm range where most of our NVGs can't see them. In short, at medium ranges where you can see the target pretty well through your non-magnified NVGs, it's a decent technique using plain old laser rangefinders without needing to get more fancy equipment.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#17]

This

Using a handheld lrf works also as stated.
These weapon mounted lrf, be it radius, raptar, etc  just make it a bit easier and quicker. I use mine day and night mostly on one rig.  Changing it up to another rifle may or may not (mostly may) change the lrf zero accordingly to day optics zero.

So it all depends, I use both, either the radius or a handeld depending on what the situation calls for.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh god, I'm smelling another OOB conversation brewing.

Very basically, many civi rangefinders use a pulsing infrared laser that is visible to common NVGs, so it's sometimes doable to look through your NVGs at the target and activate your rangefinder without looking through it, then walk the blinking dot/bar-shape onto the target, let go of the button, then quickly look into the eyepiece to see what number is reading.

There are however different wavelengths that rangefinders use, and many of the higher power ones are up in the 1500nm range where most of our NVGs can't see them. In short, at medium ranges where you can see the target pretty well through your non-magnified NVGs, it's a decent technique using plain old laser rangefinders without needing to get more fancy equipment.
View Quote
I can confirm that this technique works, at least with my PVS-14 and a Leupold RX-1200i TBR rangefinder.  Just as posted above, you can see the IR laser pulsing and guide it onto your target.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Many Cheaper, shorter range (<2000 yards) LRFs use 820-940nm IR lasers.

More expensive, longer range LRFs use 1550nm lasers. You’ll need SWIR to detect that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Why not ATAK?
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I can confirm that this technique works, at least with my PVS-14 and a Leupold RX-1200i TBR rangefinder.  Just as posted above, you can see the IR laser pulsing and guide it onto your target.
View Quote
Last night I confirmed that it works for me as well.  I have this old Weaver RF and am using TNV L3 WP tube.  The dot is very faint, but it's there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
They were on clearance for $500 when they first got discontinued :)
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They were on clearance for $500 when they first got discontinued :)
View Quote
Yep, then they plunged to ~$340-$360 w/ coupon which is when I could no longer resist.  I should've bought several more than I did so I could equip an additional rifle and spotter.  I absolutely love mine.  Stick a Radius on a good rifle topped with a scope that has a mil or MOA holdover reticle and clip-on NV, works unbelievably well.  The continuous ranging mode on the Radius lets you just point at the target for range, then hold the firing solution and send it.  I figured it should work well, but after the first outing I was an absolute believer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]
You could solve all of this quite simply with a RAPTAR/S and SkeetIRx with Trace/IR.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You could solve all of this quite simply with a RAPTAR/S and SkeetIRx with Trace/IR.
View Quote
SIMPLY

Link Posted: 9/6/2019 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Simply, yes.  ~$24k?  Also yes  Plus, you are still limited by the relatively low resolution of the thermal sensor and its screen when compared to good gen 3 I^2.  I am fighting the urge to buy a Skeet myself, but I cannot imagine they would be much use for long range targeting/spotting with that small of an objective lens.  A UTC series device would probably be great for that, but it is still an uncooled thermal sight at the end of the day.  I've been wrong before, though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#27]
One of the first things I did with my Sig range finder was go out and look at it under NV.   Definitely visible, if a bit blinky.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
One of the first things I did with my Sig range finder was go out and look at it under NV.   Definitely visible, if a bit blinky.
View Quote
Same here... also you can look through it with a PVS14 and use normally, but need a crap ton of supplemental IR to see through the glass coatings. They block IR pretty effectively. Cant really use past 150 that way and need a crazy diopter setting. But looking at the laser directly its not much different than my DBAL-I2 IR pointer, just blinking. Seeing laser directly is good to about 200-300 depending on target size. Past 300 target must be huge.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#29]
This is on the right track.....

Now We need an atlas with a lrf ....

https://www.pulsar-nv.com/glo/products/33/thermal-imaging-binoculars/accolade-lrf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top