Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2018 12:49:07 PM EDT
Picked one up in good shape at the fun store yesterday. The action is pretty neat with the bolt lock and BHO/disconnector. It shoots well and cycles pretty smooth. I only put a couple rounds through it to test fire. Bore/crown is in great shape.

I did spend 2 hours cleaning out old gummed up goop of what is probably wd-40 and carbon fouling. Literally chunks of carbon cake with a dental pick. Brown ooze when I washed it out with brake cleaner. Oiled everything up with CLP, worked it into all the moving parts, etc. The wife is tasked with polishing up the brass bead on the front sight, the brass bits on the sling, the mag tube insert and rubbing conditioner in the leather. It's her rifle anyway. She got really excited after seeing and playing with it at the store, so I knew it had to come home with us.

Having a hard time finding any info on it. Seems to be the sears house brand of the stevens 87 or savage 6.

This one has factory sling swivels (came with a mini leather 1903 sling), and is D&T on the side of the receiver (plugged with grub screws).

Seems that the A suffix denotes the d&t and sling swivels.

I have found some disassembly diagrams and videos, and operating instructions.

What I'd like to know is more of the history behind them, today's rarity (not necessarily the value, I know they're cheap sears guns, and mine is far from mint), factory options (like if I'm correct on my assessment of the A suffix), production dates and numbers, etc. Whatever else ya'll can tell me about them.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Disappointed I spent a good hour searching and couldn't find that.

It'll take me a bit to sort through all that. Skimmed it and looks like there's good info to be had.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad's .22,first gun I ever shot. He passed in 1990. I will never get rid of it. Has a fine bead sight and when I was younger and had better eyes I was deadly with it.

Springfield

Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#4]
They seem like nice rifles. Yours is in much better shape than the old lady's, but hers is still plenty pretty to keep her happy, and it seems promising to shoot well.

I got a bit more time to check out the thread linked above (thanks again!). Sadly? This rifle doesn't have a date code. Only has a keyhole (skeleton key kinda) stamp on the barrel near the receiver. No date code, no mfg markings. One patent number (#2094577), and the "greased, smokeless..." stamp. ETA: very fine brass bead front sight, no ramp or hood. It's dovetailed in, as well as the rear. Rear uses notched wedge for elevation.

I'm guessing the keyhole is a proof mark.

The pics in the other thread all got photobucketed. It appears there's a lot of variation in minor cosmetics. You definitely have a different trigger guard than the wife's.

Iirc hers is an 8/1 gill.

How does your do with supersonic ammo? Minimags? I saw mention these rifles don't like the high power stuff, as they were designed around good ole SV loads. I'm ok if it only likes SV as CCI SV is my go-to.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#5]
They are quirky. The way the sear works is crude in that the rearward pressure on the trigger keeps the rifle from firing again until it is released and there is a definite clunk of the firing pin assembly coming to rest on the trigger.

It loves most any full power ammo, I shoot a lot of Federal bulk. It has shot a lot of stingers (my dad's favorite load) and is still reliable. I have taken it apart a few times and cleaned it. It can be easy to assemble incorrectly.

I can't remember the model number, I will look this afternoon. Dad bought it in the early 70s if I remember correctly.

Fine bead sight, simple ramp rear. Gun handles great and has always shot dead on with the sights.

I take it out of my safe periodically and wipe it down with Eezox. It is the only traditionally blued firearm I own (not sure if my Ruger American Rimfire is really blued) and I take care to keep it nice.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I just looked, it is a Springfield Model 187
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.

So I've run into a little problem. The rifle shoots high. Way high. With the ramp removed, it's pushing 3" at 50 yards with CCI SV, and around 4" with HV loads.

Groups are acceptable for how I was shooting (rifle over my wrist braced on a tree). It was all wet out, leave me alone haha.

Didn't have any problems hitting the target once I found the hold, but having to set the post half way down the notch and use a 6 O clock hold isn't cool. Especially being the wife's gun, she needs it simple, particularly with her already poor vision.

I was thinking my only option would be to find the correct mounts and throw a small scope on it, and/or needle file the rear sight down some, then needle file the notch lower. Hit with cold blue after. I really don't like the idea of filing the sight, but highly doubt I can find a shorter replacement, or a taller front.

I feel like an added peep would be nice, but I'd run into the same elevation problem.

Tried some Aguila super extra shorts. They hand cycle, and still shoot high. So I guess the rifle just does that...
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.

So I've run into a little problem. The rifle shoots high. Way high. With the ramp removed, it's pushing 3" at 50 yards with CCI SV, and around 4" with HV loads.

Groups are acceptable for how I was shooting (rifle over my wrist braced on a tree). It was all wet out, leave me alone haha.

Didn't have any problems hitting the target once I found the hold, but having to set the post half way down the notch and use a 6 O clock hold isn't cool. Especially being the wife's gun, she needs it simple, particularly with her already poor vision.

I was thinking my only option would be to find the correct mounts and throw a small scope on it, and/or needle file the rear sight down some, then needle file the notch lower. Hit with cold blue after. I really don't like the idea of filing the sight, but highly doubt I can find a shorter replacement, or a taller front.

I feel like an added peep would be nice, but I'd run into the same elevation problem.

Tried some Aguila super extra shorts. They hand cycle, and still shoot high. So I guess the rifle just does that...
View Quote
Wow, the thing I love most about my 187 is the sights are perfect and I think on the second notch. I wonder if having a taller front bead installed would be a cheaper option?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I should ask the gun shop next weekend. They probably have the sister rifle still. Maybe we can hit the sights with calipers and see.

The dovetail for the front is probably a common size. Now just to figure out what rifles took that size and what height they were.

I really don't want to take a file to a sight. It just screams bubba.

Think a good 'smith could take it out, and peen the bead down to make it bigger, and thusly taller?

It's too small for me to cut, or I could cut/weld it taller. And I'd never get the color to match. Welding could possibly melt the solder and make the bead fall off too.

I oughta get dimensions and see if the machinists at work could CNC one. Get some brass round stock and solder on, then cut/file down to a 1/16" or whatever size the bead is. It's not really a bead on this rifle, but a little cylinder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top