Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2018 8:47:19 PM EDT
My go-to has been the 50gr VMAX, but the FMJs are about half the price around here.

In Johnny's Reloading Bench 55gr FMJ shootout, the Hornadys tended to tighten up considerably at max SAAMI length/no crimp, where I prefer to load.
I was low on Varget, but happened to have enough H4895 left - I've always reckoned any quality 50-55gr bullet will like 24-25gr of either powder. Maybe I'll do my own shootout in the Fall.

Test firearm:
Old, slightly used, and reassembled DPMS Nat'l Match A2 that was boresighted and bench-zeroed a couple months ago. 0.040" aperture and 0.070" post. Brownell's M1907 sling.

Load: .223 Remington
Hornady 55gr FMJ, moly coated (didn't take to it well though)
25gr H4895 (~+0.2gr variation in thrown charges)
CCI 400
Match-prepped FC case at ~1.745", neck diameter 0.218"
OAL: 2.254" +/-0.006"

Note: No crunches thru the Lee PPM, primers went straight into the pocket, and the bullets seated like butter. This was the smoothest batch of ammo I've ever loaded.
The boat tail is at the base of the neck, placing the shank above any donut. Even with some short cases, there's plenty of squeeze on these bullets.

[Chrono data to be collected. I predict MV 3050fps, ES 60fps, SD 20fps.]

Course of Fire: NRA High Power Rifle 50-shot Nat'l Match Course reduced to 100yds

Sighters from prone - SR-1 target
10 shots Offhand - SR-1 target
10 shots Sitting, Rapid Fire - SR-1 target
10 Shots Prone, Rapid Fire - SR-21 target
2 strings of 10 shots Prone, Slow Fire - MR-31 target

The range faces ESE, so the sun is to the shooters' front/left, and moves above/behind and right. 1 MOA total sight adjustments from the beginning to end of a match aren't uncommon due to the light changes affecting the shooter's perception of the post to the bull.
Weather was sunny, 85-95*F, moderately humid. Wind was negligible.

Offhand. Took a few shots for me to remember to hold between 6:00 and center-mass.

Sitting. Sight adjustment made after the 1st magazine of 2 shots. Didn't look quite this good thru the sights.

Prone Rapid. Again, sight adjustment after 1st mag of 2 shots.

Prone Slow 1 and 2.

Summary target

Wailing Wall (score sheet)
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent shooting and good data collection!  I'd be curious as to how well these would hold up going out to the 200yd mark.  I'm just getting my feet wet in HP, so I've been concentrating on using the Hornady 75gr.  The range I shoot at only goes out to 300, and the 75's are fine for that, but I'm always curious how the lowly 55 FMJBT would do out to 300 as well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]
This gives me confidence.  Ive been trying the Frontier 55 HP for use in my 1/12 A1 rifle that I was going to use in a casual 200 yard HP match.

The rifle shoots well even with M193.  Im just wondering if the same 55 grain Frontier will do as well in my 1/7 A4 clone?
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Hornady 55gr FMJ's have a good rap on this site, and rightly so, they work.

I like 24.5 h335
25 h4895
It's the best fmj you can get and more than likely better than almost any other budget/bulk bullets no matter what they are.

I don't crimp mine, I run em to to 2.25, throw all my charges am not fussy with the makes of my brass are and shoot under an inch doing my part.

I like the 55sp bulk too, but the fmj seat's like a dream.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing wrong with Hornady 55 FMJ.   Even crimped, they shoot fine.  I've been able to get quite high on a reduced 600 with them.  Standard cannular depth and crimped even (Lee FCD of course).  They're good bullets and will shoot 200 yard high-power all day; for about 14 cents a shot all-in.

If I were running a Jr's high-power program, they'd be running Hornady 55 FMJ's at 200, and Hornady 75's at 300 and maybe even 600.  Plenty good bullets and you could get Leg points with that any day.

25.5 gr H335 and they'll sing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 2:06:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Good Shooting. With .219 neck diameter thats quite a bit of neck tension, more than I'm accustomed to. Are you trimming with a Dillon trim die and not expanding the necks? My Dillon trim dies leaves my necks right at .219, so I'm just wondering.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 3:28:56 AM EDT
[#6]
0.218" according to calipers. RCBS die.

I trim with a Lyman modified with an RCBS tri-way head, and the tail turned down for drill power.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Note:  Sounds like the FMJ’s are working
For you,

If you still want to shoot 50g Vmax.......use 50 g Zmax, it’s a Vmax with a green (marketed as zombie) colored tip
Instead of red at half the price of the V’s, same bullet.  500 packs,

Granted, Not as economical as the fmj’s or soft points.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Anybody tried Hornady 62gr FMJ's?

maybe get a little louder Pollucks out of them at longer range.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good Shooting. With .219 neck diameter thats quite a bit of neck tension, more than I'm accustomed to. Are you trimming with a Dillon trim die and not expanding the necks? My Dillon trim dies leaves my necks right at .219, so I'm just wondering.
View Quote
I don't crimp with .221 after running an expander ball through the cases, never had a problem, I lube the inside of the neck, it helps with

getting a consistent size on the pull out.

I would think .219 to be to tight , but it's got a bt, and if he's below the neck bottom he wont have a ring.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:29:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Bump.

My club's "big" match is on the 7th. Still haven't decided if I want to use an A2 or 3x carbine.

I fired a few loaded with 25gr Varget from the carbine for the Grapefruit Challenge, but I think as usual, the carbine wants another 0.5gr.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
2-300 yd HP targets are pretty generous.  I've shot tons of clean rf targets with LC M193 and even 855 gen not high x count and usually uusingevery square inch of ten ring.

Reduced getting better bullets is worth it as the 600 reduced you def  want 1 moa or better ammo. Imop.

If you still want to ghetto, try some Pvri-Partisan 55 fmjbt bullets from Grafs. Very good bullets for 55 fmj's
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:54:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Test firearm:
M4gery with Core15 chromelined 1:7 (measured 7.7) barrel, freefloat quad rail, and 2-stage trigger. Nikon 3x32 scope. M1907 sling.

The load test before the July match wasn't very promising, but another 0.5gr Varget (for 25.5gr) seemed to tighten a little.

Chrono numbers:
Avg - 2795fps
ES - 90fps
SD - 28fps, higher than I'm used to.

Outliers were on call. The only excuse is me. And maybe the magnification/reticle combo - it certainly doesn't work well with a 6:00 hold.

In Prone Slow, you can see a decent group wanting to form (if only we didn't have to split the 20 shots into two strings) with my Natural Point of Aim pulling left.

Timestamps are in the video description.
Plucky Carbine at 2018 Don James Memorial | HP Rifle Match

I used this carbine and IMR4198 this month, but I'll report later.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#13]
H4198 under 50gr VMAX worked great in the winter. The local gun store only has IMR4198.

For a 55gr bullet, Hodgdon/Lee list the max charge at 20.4gr. Several here indicated working up to and settling on 21.5gr with H and IMR. I didn't have time for a proper load test, and trusted 21.0gr.

I had taken this carbine upper apart to strip the flaking paint crap off the receiver and tighten the barrel nut a bit more. The gas block port had a small hole, so I poked it - yep, carbon broke apart to reveal the whole. I turned it over and blew through the tube, and it seemed clear. On to the August match...

I chose Center of Mass hold.

Sighters showed a potential problem - slightly lighter recoil than H4198 and failure to lock back on empty.

Offhand was okay. It took about 6 shots til I convinced myself my Natural Point of Aim was right of center. I hucked a couple 8s. 93/100-1x.

Sitting Rapid - yep, it happened. Shot #5 short stroked and pinched a round against the feed ramp. Alibi strings are rarely good, this was no exception. 92/100.

I gave the BCG a couple drops of oil to ease my mind some. Offhand and Sitting seemed about 0.5 MOA high, so I came 2 clicks down for Prone Rapid. I was battling pulse, combined with a possible light condition change caused a wide group 0.5 MOA low. 94/100-2x.

The 1st string of Prone Slow started right of center and settled in after a windage adjustment, then the 2nd string started 1.5 MOA low and settled at 6:00 10-ring after adjusting. Windage was pretty good, I was having trouble holding elevation. Bolt still didn't lock back often. 93-3x and 92-2x.

Aggregate: 464-7x.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:42:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Yesterday, I retried 21.0gr, and 21.5gr from Prone to see if just that little extra gas would be enough to cure cycling woes.

21gr seems to barely touch the back of the buffer tube. The BCG felt like it was closing quick and I couldn't hear or feel a round strip from the magazine, but they did this time. Fewer failures to lock back.

21.5gr thumped the tube a little more. I could sense the rounds stripping. Precision seems about identical.
Judging by primers, this is my max charge like other members - the edges were mostly round like 21gr, but the center started flowing back against the firing pin. I would still prefer CCI 450s instead of 400s to prevent any punctures.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I've used H335 for my Hornady 55s at 200 and it was terrible.  I use IMR 4895 or Varget for my 69s and 75s and they're sub MOA.  This is out of my 1/7 barrel, maybe just too fast, I'll try in my 1/8.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I use 21 of either of the 4198's with a 55gr bullet, it's max in my rifles, but they cycle perfect in my carbines. Rifle length not so much.

400's will puncture easy compared to almost any other primer, lighten the loads a little and they are fine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anybody tried Hornady 62gr FMJ's?

maybe get a little louder Pollucks out of them at longer range.
View Quote
I haven't tried the FMJ, but the Hornady 62 gr HPBT from midsouth shooter's supply has become my favorite bullet  for 1 in 9" or faster twist barrels.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/001532276c500/22-caliber-point224-diameter-62-grain-bthp-with-cannelure-500-count
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I haven't tried the FMJ, but the Hornady 62 gr HPBT from midsouth shooter's supply has become my favorite bullet  for 1 in 9" or faster twist barrels.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/001532276c500/22-caliber-point224-diameter-62-grain-bthp-with-cannelure-500-count
View Quote
Did it, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I know people say the Hornady 55 grain FMJBT aren't "the most accurate bullets" in the world but the best 3 shot group I ever saw from one of my 20" AR15's was shot with those bullets, 21.0 grains of IMR4198 at 100 yds.  Scope was screwed up and would adjust right/left, but not down.  Gave up after 3 three shot groups.  The second two didn't compare with the first one, but they weren't bad for 100 yds. out of a standard 20" AR15 flat top.

First group on the left/high, second group on the right/high, and 3rd group is the one in the center and still high.  Replaced that low dollar scope with a Burris MSR 3X9 and then gave that rifle to my oldest son (might have been a mistake, maybe should have given him a different AR15 and kept that one).

Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I know people say the Hornady 55 grain FMJBT aren't "the most accurate bullets" in the world but the best 3 shot group I ever saw from one of my 20" AR15's was shot with those bullets, 21.0 grains of IMR4198 at 100 yds.  Scope was screwed up and would adjust right/left, but not down.  Gave up after 3 three shot groups.  The second two didn't compare with the first one, but they weren't bad for 100 yds. out of a standard 20" AR15 flat top.

First group on the left/high, second group on the right/high, and 3rd group is the one in the center and still high.  Replaced that low dollar scope with a Burris MSR 3X9 and then gave that rifle to my oldest son (might have been a mistake, maybe should have given him a different AR15 and kept that one).

https://i.imgur.com/svHVEYgl.jpg
View Quote
You won't ever hear me say that. Most rifles shoot that bullet pretty dagone good, esp in 1 in 9's.  Like you 21grains but with h-4198, 24- h335 is right there too.
I have a 20"flat top that shoots Hornadys FMJ better than any other bullet , so far nothing else comes close, why, I have no clue.

Don't think your target pic worked out, unless it's my computer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:44:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Firearm: P-lucky carbine.

21.5gr IMR 4198 still often failed to lock back. I may just throw the rest in a burn pile.

I improved the score (yet still limit it), not the load. All, but one outlier was on call.

Offhand. 93/100-1x

Sitting Rapid. Point of Aim was about 1 MOA low. 98/100-3x

Prone Rapid. Started 0.5 MOA down. First two shots were 6:00 10-ring and 5:00 9-ring. 0.5 MOA up after. 96/100-2x

Prone Slow 1. The 7-ring was outside call. A 0.5 MOA right adjustment couldn't counter Natural Point of Aim left. 92/100

Prone Slow 2. That's more like it. 97/100-3x

Aggregate - 475/500-9x

I've since borrowed a new optic that should help.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#23]
So on the sitting stage - about that 8...  ?

A few notes.
-A good serviceable off-hand - especially if done with a carbine.
-Rapid sitting was outstanding, and then that 8.  Ouch.
-Rapid prone was... serviceable.
-Slow prone - this is where the ammo should have really shined, but didn't.  But then - this is a 16" carbine, not a free floated H-Bar.  Some of those could be sling tension pulled shots.  I suspect groups would have been a better ammo test if either shot from a bench, or fired in a NM Service Rifle I suspect.

I suspect accuracy results and limitations have more to do with the platform, than the ammo.

Regarding 4198 - it's probably the best economical powder out there, due to the low charges.  But I usually don't mess with it - as the long grains aren't really great in a progressive, and I don't care for loads that have a lot of loose powder.  Also, you can Kaboom with 4198 in an AR if you screw up, which while still possible, is harder to do with most other powders.   So for 55 FMJ, I tend to run things like H335, Ramshot, and 8208.  large grain - 4895, ARComp, and Varget are all good choices too, and my absolute favorite long-grain powder for 55 FMJ is actually the forgotten IMR-3031 - which gave me amazing results when combined with 55 FMJs.  But in general, I don't run large-grain powders any more - at least not in the progressive; and I'm not about to single-load 55 FMJ!

If it were me, I'd try that 200 yard course of fire again using your 20" NM rifle, I bet it cycles more reliably and your slow prone looks a lot better.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#24]
HighpowerRifleBrony - great scores, especially for FMJ's!.

I use 20.6 grains of h4198 with 52/53 grain match bullets with excellent results. My load will not function reliably in every rifle gassed upper I own, it's dead reliable in a carbine.

This powder is often overlooked because it is the fastest burning powder for this application. It's also very course grained which interferes with smooth powder charging.

It has been amazing on target even when thrown. I have fired 10 round groups that could be completely covered with a quarter at 100 with a Colt factory h-bar carbine. I was impressed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#25]
The natural point of aim issues are from a 6'1", 245lb guy with 10 years experience beside a rifle cramming behind a carbine. The freefloat rail doesn't help the fit. I hit a wall with this scope; I might review it someday.

So far, IME, there is no bad-bad load from an AR unless you're doing something silly (Red Dot powder) or using mingy bullets.

While Varget works good, I'll be looking for H4895 or IMR 4064. H4895 has been the best performer with a few bullets in several rifles, and 4064, while launches at slower MV, shot well at 100yds during the '13 panic from this carbine barrel and an 20" NM.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Also, you can Kaboom with 4198 in an AR if you screw up, ....... and I'm not about to single-load 55 FMJ!
I visually inspect every charge. Lee PPM is very tolerant of extruded powder.
ETA: I even moly'd 'em.
Attachment Attached File

If it were me, I'd try that 200 yard course of fire again using your 20" NM rifle, I bet it cycles more reliably and your slow prone looks a lot better.
Not with 4198s.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know what causes these dents? My deflector has velcro and the ejector spring is tuned, so shouldn't be from ejection. There's maybe 5/80 like this.

Dad says unburned powder kernel, but that should cause a jam. However, they're about the same size.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#28]
By shape, it really does look like unburned powder kernal.  Which is just odd if that's 4198, it's a fast burning powder that totally should have lit, so it's very strange to think  you could have whole unburned kernals left over like that.  A couple kernals of unburned powder in the chamber doesn't necessarily mean a jam.

Another possible source - you don't happen to wet tumble with SS pins do you?

As to OAL, I know people have done tests to show that in some cases the ammo shoots better when loaded a little long like that.  Still, when I run 55 FMJ's, I personally don't, I run them to cannular and crimp.  To me - it being a relatively short boat tailed bullet already, means a long OAL has very little neck contact, that I worry about the bullets behavior in the semi-auto cycling.  It just seems easier for them to get canted, or to jump out of the neck on cycling.  I'd be curious to see what the run-out and OAL measurements change to if you were to single load bolt-drop a few, as well as magazine cycle a few rounds.

Seating depth and neck tension can have an effect on powder burn behavior.  I'd be curious if those dents went away, if the loads were seated and crimped, and without the moly coating.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Vibratory tumbler, green walnut.

The FMJs are about the same length as the 50gr VMAX. The shank base is just above the shoulder at 2.250". Juuust right.

Wouldn't crimp and bare bullets advance the pressure curve time and raise peak pressure? That would require a reduction in charge which reduces gas volume.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
... Wouldn't crimp and bare bullets advance the pressure curve time and raise peak pressure? That would require a reduction in charge which reduces gas volume.
View Quote
Good question, and I'll start by saying I'm not absolutely sure.  But in my observation, gunpowder burns more fully and completely when it is run at higher pressure.  Chemically, that usually means hotter, and hotter reactions tend to be faster and more complete.

So yes, this would raise peak pressure.  But it also would result in a more complete burn, and so less likely to have left over powder kernals.  I learned this one the hard way, with really light charge of powder in light weight bullet.  The residue was awful and I had not only incomplete burns, sometimes my powder wouldn't even light off at all - it was really fascinating to see actually.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Sweet write up.

Gonna hit up a HP match this fall with m855 because reasons.

Gonna see what happens haha!
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#32]
LE, the 4198 cases come out rather clean, especially compared to Varget. Magnum primers should contain a little more charge but I don't know how far above book I can safely go.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Agreed - those look good
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I couldn't get a better angle, but there's slight flow and pushback. "Here be dragons"
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I couldn't get a better angle, but there's slight flow and pushback. "Here be dragons"
View Quote
I saw that - and in general agree.  In this case though, that's probably more a firing pin/pin-hole tolerance issue, than pressure.  The primers are still round, and the butter-soft FC brass isn't showing any headsmear - this is fine.  You could go higher if you want, but as you say, there's no soot or any other indicators of low P or incomplete burns, so should be good to go as is.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#36]
25gr Benchmark.

Open in new window and check description for timestamps.

I can't blame any 9s in the MR-31 on the bullet.

Plucky Carbine | Oct 2018 HP Rifle Match
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Matches 1-3 are more about the gun and shooter than the ammo; and you did quite well.  I'm particularly impressed with the offhand, considering all this was done with such a light rifle (bummer on the 7).  I'm curious, why don't you use your NM service rifle?  Doing this with a carbine is going to be a limiter.  Don't worry about BBL wear, lots of folks will end up with 2 uppers, and a worn barrel is good for 200 yards for well past 3000 rounds (probably pushing close to 10,000).

The real test is the slow prone, and while a 194 is nothing to sneeze at - for a HM, that typically is going to be in 197 territory.  I can't conclude if the limiter is the ammo, of if it's the rifle.  A nice 12# AR has a tendance to stay on target a little better when slung up like that.  Next time you run this, do it with your Service Rifle, and I think that'll be a better test.

At worst, the ammo looks perfectly serviceable for practice and local-match short range course, but on the slow prone... I can't conclude either way.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So on the sitting stage - about that 8...  ?

A few notes.
-A good serviceable off-hand - especially if done with a carbine.
-Rapid sitting was outstanding, and then that 8.  Ouch.
-Rapid prone was... serviceable.
-Slow prone - this is where the ammo should have really shined, but didn't.  But then - this is a 16" carbine, not a free floated H-Bar.  Some of those could be sling tension pulled shots.  I suspect groups would have been a better ammo test if either shot from a bench, or fired in a NM Service Rifle I suspect.

I suspect accuracy results and limitations have more to do with the platform, than the ammo.

Regarding 4198 - it's probably the best economical powder out there, due to the low charges.  But I usually don't mess with it - as the long grains aren't really great in a progressive, and I don't care for loads that have a lot of loose powder.  Also, you can Kaboom with 4198 in an AR if you screw up, which while still possible, is harder to do with most other powders.   So for 55 FMJ, I tend to run things like H335, Ramshot, and 8208.  large grain - 4895, ARComp, and Varget are all good choices too, and my absolute favorite long-grain powder for 55 FMJ is actually the forgotten IMR-3031 - which gave me amazing results when combined with 55 FMJs.  But in general, I don't run large-grain powders any more - at least not in the progressive; and I'm not about to single-load 55 FMJ!

View Quote
Try AA2015 with Hornadys 55grFMJ, about 23grs or so. right up there with 25gr h335. Functions an AR great and save a bit o powder.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Guys is this the 55 grain Hornady FMJ you seek for 100 yard distance nirvana?

55 Grain FMJ

Been shooting 69 grain HPBT Sierra's and wish to knock that price point down a bit.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Yup. Hornady #2267.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yup. Hornady #2267.
View Quote
Thanks @HighpowerRifleBrony
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#42]
@HighpowerRifleBrony
Is that 25 grain of H4895 running a little
hot for load? She’s up in the case neck.
You try 24.5?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Hodgdon has 25gr start, 26gr max. I've not experienced high pressure symptoms.

24-25 should shoot good. I used 24gr Varget and H4895 under ~50gr bullets for a long time, but cases seemed to get sootier than I liked, so I bumped up to 25.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:37:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Good to go!!

I will bump the load back up to 25 grain.

Thank you kindly sir.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Just remembered that the sooty cases were also probably trimmed way short.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hodgdon has 25gr start, 26gr max. I've not experienced high pressure symptoms.

24-25 should shoot good. I used 24gr Varget and H4895 under ~50gr bullets for a long time, but cases seemed to get sootier than I liked, so I bumped up to 25.
View Quote
Thanks @HighpowerRifleBrony! That is a darn nice load up (25 gr. H4895, 55gr. Hornady FMJ) groups very well!
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#47]
@JLS81 . Got pics?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
@JLS81 . Got pics?
View Quote
@HighpowerRifleBrony

55 grain Hornady 25 gr. H4895 group results shot from prone hasty 100 yards rifle length criterion A2 irons zeroed for 69 gr. SMK 23.3 varget.

Slung the lead with no adjustment from zero. Surprised with the group to be honest thought the 55 gr. would group 9 and 8 ring from 12 to 04 o'clock position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top