Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2023 10:54:41 PM EDT
Been toying around with the idea of applying for an FFL.  Without getting into all the details, it would be to offer a few fairly unique gunsmithing services that generally seem to be underrepresented in today’s market.

In any case, of those ideas, only one would involve me receiving/handling/shipping any serialized parts that would legally be  considered firearms.

So long story short, if I cut out the service requiring me to be licensed, where is the line actually drawn when it comes to legally needing an FFL?

Say, for instance, someone shipped or dropped off an AR handguard for me to perform work on.  Logic would follow that an unserialized firearm component that can be shipped right to your door would not require an FFL to perform said work.  However, I seem to be seeing some mixed answers in a lot of my searching as to whether that’s the case.

Seems to me I remember someone getting busted for either manufacturing or modifying ammo for commercial sale a few years back.  Logic would dictate that since all ammunition components are not legally controlled, nor is loaded ammo (outside of a few weird states), licensing wouldn’t be required, but apparently in this case it was.  Also seem to recall reading a few stories years back of people modifying firearm components and getting hemmed up as well.  

Anyways, I wanted to ask the question before I put any plans in place that won’t end up working out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You can manufacture or work on non controlled parts without a FFL. Things like triggers, handguards, stocks, flash hiders, etc.

FFL is required to manufacture ammo
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#2]
All loaded ammo is controlled from the get go at the federal level.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Ahhh gotcha.  Thanks for the info fellas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top