Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2022 11:00:42 AM EDT
Have a relative with a SA Garand of 1954 vintage he wants $1k for.  Looks CMP rack grade to me, spent time in CMP store south fondling all grades years ago for comparison.  It’s all SA parts but it needs a barrel, the op rod is questionable and the stock is rough.  I’m thinking $550-700, am I far off or is he dreaming?  I have a Correct Grade of the same vintage and they’re night and day apart.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have a relative with a SA Garand of 1954 vintage he wants $1k for.  Looks CMP rack grade to me, spent time in CMP store south fondling all grades years ago for comparison.  It’s all SA parts but it needs a barrel, the op rod is questionable and the stock is rough.  I’m thinking $550-700, am I far off or is he dreaming?  I have a Correct Grade of the same vintage and they’re night and day apart.
View Quote

The Garand market is insane right now. Odd's are your relative could get the 1K easy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I had hoped to pick this one up yesterday for $1500, nope, not even close, was just going park it next to the others in the safe.
Auction prices are kray kray now.
It went for $2000 plus, plus, plus

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This.

To the untrained eye someone would easily pay that for it and probably never know the barrel needs replaced.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Garand market is insane right now. Odd's are your relative could get the 1K easy.

This.

To the untrained eye someone would easily pay that for it and probably never know the barrel needs replaced.

Gunbroker prices for Garand's are insane right now. I've been seeing "Expert" CMP rifles going for $600-800 more than what CMP is asking now for them. I even toyed with ordering another to see what I would get pitting wise (mine has very very light pitting 2 spots) telling myself if I got 1 worse than what I have now I could flip it and make money from it.

I talked myself out of it (just tore up the order form I had). I know me, I'd keep it and I don't really need 2 "expert" Garand's unless the 2nd is a .308 and their OOS of those
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote

It shoots minute of milk jug at 50 yds from the bench, they’ll be severely disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sad thing is most guys won't care. They go blast at the range with random ammo that changed poi with each change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

It shoots minute of milk jug at 50 yds from the bench, they’ll be severely disappointed.

Sad thing is most guys won't care. They go blast at the range with random ammo that changed poi with each change.

Most Garand owners are looking for a piece of history, they won't shoot them more than a couple hundred rounds a year. I do include myself in that category but I bought the Expert model with new barrel so I can't blame the gun for me not hitting the broad side of a barn
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]Originally Posted By

View Quote

True, I forgot about those folks.  I guess too many years of competitive shooting makes me think everyone is interested in accuracy.  Silly Old Marine, what was I thinking.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Prices are insane, some areas more than others. Base is $1000 on the market. That is the part it out price. Receivers are $600 minimum if not horribly pitted.

Oddly people will pay more for a CMP expert at auction than I am selling a nearly unused HRA right now. I have seen this a lot recently, where people buy by looks rather than collectibility. A few months ago, we had three M1’s at a gun show in service grade condition and all USGI parts and people were buying CMP experts from a dealer for a few hundred more.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Most Garand owners are looking for a piece of history, they won't shoot them more than a couple hundred rounds a year. I do include myself in that category but I bought the Expert model with new barrel so I can't blame the gun for me not hitting the broad side of a barn
View Quote

Yep, I acquired a CMP M1903 the previous owner had for decades and never fired it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I fall into the only 100 rounds a year collector. I just have enough, shooting two matches a month through the shooting season, no rifle gets used more than a few times a year. I also have a couple I never shot. One basically new from the factory and another unfired since 60’s arsenal rebuild. I had another unfired rebuild but I could not resist lubing it up and shooting it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#12]
After the responses I got here and looking for myself at the ‘Garandmania’ prices I worked out a deal with the relative for the Garand.  He threw in enough M2 ball and AP rounds to make it palatable for me.
I’ll probably rebarrel it in 308 and make it my shooter.  Just call me a sucker for “This weapon of iron and wood”.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After the responses I got here and looking for myself at the ‘Garandmania’ prices I worked out a deal with the relative for the Garand.  He threw in enough M2 ball and AP rounds to make it palatable for me.
I’ll probably rebarrel it in 308 and make it my shooter.  Just call me a sucker for “This weapon of iron and wood”.
View Quote

.308 barrels will be hard to find right now. CMP burned through their supply. Fulton Armory is showing in stock

.308 Barrel
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

I’ve got a few ‘collector’ M1s, but most of mine are definitely ‘shooters.’ Bought them back when true Service, Rack, and Field Grades were being offered.

Technically, one ‘shooter’ Garand would be sufficient for me, but at the time I wanted a ‘shooter’ rifle from each of the M1 manufacturers, along with a couple more chambered in .308/7.62.

Probably could put them up on GB and get back twice what I paid for them, or more.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I’ve got a few ‘collector’ M1s, but most of mine are definitely ‘shooters.’ Bought them back when true Service, Rack, and Field Grades were being offered.

Technically, one ‘shooter’ Garand would be sufficient for me, but at the time I wanted a ‘shooter’ rifle from each of the M1 manufacturers, along with a couple more chambered in .308/7.62.

Probably could put them up on GB and get back twice what I paid for them, or more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Right now I've only 1 Garand, the Expert I bought that is a "shooter". I ordered another this week requesting a post war Springfield with as little pitting as possible, I like the post war finish. If I get a nice one I might look for a 50's production barrel that gauges "Service" level and do a swap. That I would consider my "safe queen".

I'm really tempted to snag this on Gunbroker

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/929038327

Do a barrel swap between it and the Expert I have on order now. Reason I don't is I want to see what the new Expert looks like. I only want 1 safe queen Garand and really can't afford getting both right now. I would also keep the .308 barrel and swap it to the Expert if it has more pitting than I want and have my .308 shooter. I was going to snag one of those from CMP after my 1st Expert in 30.06 and they ran out of barrels for 308's
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Have a relative with a SA Garand of 1954 vintage he wants $1k for. Looks CMP rack grade to me, spent time in CMP store south fondling all grades years ago for comparison.  It’s all SA parts but it needs a barrel, the op rod is questionable and the stock is rough.  I’m thinking $550-700, am I far off or is he dreaming?  I have a Correct Grade of the same vintage and they’re night and day apart.
View Quote

Nooop. He’ll get an easy $1K in today’s market if it’s all USGI, even if it is a mixmaster.   Post-war built M1s are generally better shooters as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Just a thought, ... but you could check with Tim @ Shuff’s Parkerizing and see if he’s still got any .308 Criterion barrels in stock.

If he does, he’s the perfect guy to re-barrel it for you and do a check on anything else you might be having issues with. He’s excellent at diagnosing all the part issues on M1-related hiccups.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just a thought, ... but you could check with Tim @ Shuff’s Parkerizing and see if he’s still got any .308 Criterion barrels in stock.

If he does, he’s the perfect guy to re-barrel it for you and do a check on anything else you might be having issues with. He’s excellent at diagnosing all the part issues on M1-related hiccups.
View Quote

He is out of stock on barrels at the moment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top