Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2022 2:19:07 PM EDT
Dose anyone have a line on where to get a tube to Form 1?
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Was a guy that had them and firing pins on sturm.

He had a website called sterling SMG or something. Tried googling it and didn’t see anything.

When I get to a pc I’ll see if I can find our email exchange.

Seems like the bare tubes were $1300-1500 each.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
Was a guy that had them and firing pins on sturm.

He had a website called sterling SMG or something. Tried googling it and didn’t see anything.

When I get to a pc I’ll see if I can find our email exchange.

Seems like the bare tubes were $1300-1500 each.
View Quote

any help is appreciated
I emailed the Rick at sterlingl2a3.com and it bounced back as Email box was full.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By othala:

any help is appreciated
I emailed the Rick at sterlingl2a3.com and it bounced back as Email box was full.
View Quote

Think I msged him thru sturm. I’ll look and see what his screen name is.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#4]

any help is appreciated
View Quote

That's him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By eodinert:

That's him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eodinert:

any help is appreciated

That's him.

Awesome Thanks I emailed him again to see if it was a one off on his email being full
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Update email is still full no joy
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#8]
His name is Tubegunner on sturm. Probably can send him a PM there.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Any update on this? Just received my demilled Rpg-2 and planning out the build. What kind of steel is the sterling guy using on his tubes? Seems a bit steep at $1300+.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Landsat8:
Any update on this? Just received my demilled Rpg-2 and planning out the build. What kind of steel is the sterling guy using on his tubes? Seems a bit steep at $1300+.
View Quote

Seems like it had a acronym DOM. Drawn over mandrel maybe?

Said it was a truly seamless tube and not a flat that was bent and welded back together.

I may have that wrong.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I heard he has another batch nearly done and will be listing them soon on Gunbroker so I'd have your alerts set and keep an eye out on there
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I found a lead on a cold-drawn seamless tube in 4140 steel. OD is 45mm, ID is 40mm, 2.5mm walls. It is hard to find metric tubing . Waiting to hear pricing details.

Any thoughts on if 4140 is up to snuff? I bought the panzerfaust book from Wild Arms Research and Development and he used a seamless tube made of a unnamed steel with 90k psi tensile strength. From my understanding 4140 should have 95k psi tensile strength.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 2:37:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JonathanwFL] [#13]
I found a lead on a cold-drawn seamless tube in 4140 steel. OD is 45mm, ID is 40mm, 2.5mm walls. It is hard to find metric tubing . Waiting to hear pricing details.

Any thoughts on if 4140 is up to snuff? I bought the panzerfaust book from Wild Arms Research and Development and he used a seamless tube made of a unnamed steel with 90k psi tensile strength. From my understanding 4140 should have 95k psi tensile strength.
View Quote

That’ll work just fine

You just didn’t get that info from me

Thank you for picking up a copy of the book
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JonathanwFL:

That’ll work just fine

You just didn’t get that info from me

Thank you for picking up a copy of the book
View Quote

Wayne's World - We're Not Worthy!

Sadly the supplier responded that they cannot sell to the general public. I’m not seeing any other places offering a 45 OD, 40mm ID tube in 4140. I do however see that size offered in 1018 steel, which has a tensile strength of ~64,000 psi.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Hi Guys, I'm sorry for being absent so long to provide info on what we offer. The SterlingL2A3 website grossly needs an  update which is being worked on. I can always be reached at [email protected]. Our repair tubes are made from 4130 Chrome Moly. The bores are precisely honed to the proper dimension and the exteriors are carefully machined to the Russian profile.  In addition the tubes are sent thru a ammonia gassification process to aid in corrosion resistance.
We also make the firing pin block available to those with registered (F1) tubes along with a DD Stamp. Registered and marked tubes can be sent back to us for further work if desired. We have a few tubes in stock with more to come in a few weedks. HTH. Rick
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 51M38:
Hi Guys, I'm sorry for being absent so long to provide info on what we offer. The SterlingL2A3 website grossly needs an  update which is being worked on. I can always be reached at [email protected]. Our repair tubes are made from 4130 Chrome Moly. The bores are precisely honed to the proper dimension and the exteriors are carefully machined to the Russian profile.  In addition the tubes are sent thru a ammonia gassification process to aid in corrosion resistance.
We also make the firing pin block available to those with registered (F1) tubes along with a DD Stamp. Registered and marked tubes can be sent back to us for further work if desired. We have a few tubes in stock with more to come in a few weedks. HTH. Rick
View Quote

Email sent
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m about to fill out a Form 1 on my rpg-2 and would appreciate your assistance masking sure I fill out section 4 correctly. Any changes?

4a. Name and Address of Original Manufacturer and/or d. Model (As marked on firearm) Importer of Firearm (If any)
Federal State Unitary Enterprise Bazalt, Moscow, Russia  
4b. Type of Firearm
Destructive Device
4c. Caliber or Gauge
40mm (or is this 82mm because of the warhead diameter?)
4d.Model
RPG-2
4e. Barrel Length:
37.25"
4f. Overall Length
37.25"
4g. Serial Number
(S/N on Grip)
4h. Additional Description
(Leave Blank?)
4i. Intended Purpose
All Lawful Purposes
4j. Type of Destructive Device
Firearm
4k. Is this firearm being reactivated?
No
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m about to fill out a Form 1 on my rpg-2 and would appreciate your assistance masking sure I fill out section 4 correctly. Any changes?

4a. Name and Address of Original Manufacturer and/or d. Model (As marked on firearm) Importer of Firearm (If any)
Federal State Unitary Enterprise Bazalt, Moscow, Russia  
4b. Type of Firearm
Destructive Device
4c. Caliber or Gauge
40mm (or is this 82mm because of the warhead diameter?)
4d.Model
RPG-2
4e. Barrel Length:
37.25"
4f. Overall Length
37.25"
4g. Serial Number
(S/N on Grip)
4h. Additional Description
(Leave Blank?)
4i. Intended Purpose
All Lawful Purposes
4j. Type of Destructive Device
Firearm
4k. Is this firearm being reactivated?
No
View Quote

So full disclosure I’m sure you already sent in your form one so these comments might be moot.

-technically you are the manufacturer since you are not converting a firearm that’s already in existence.  If you still put the Soviet factory information in there will probably still get approved. When I first did my RPG-7 I think I put the Soviet factory information in there and everything got approved.  The RPG-2 I just filed I did it correctly and put my information in there as the manufacturer.
-40 mm is correct
-FYI even though the barrel length and overall length are exactly the same, if you do it via the electronic E form it will make you have the barrel length shorter than the overall length.  Typically people just list the barrel length as a 10th of an inch shorter.
-I also used her serial number from my grip since it’s going to be easier to make my tube numbers matching with my grip.  My current understanding is that you will have to engrave that serial number along with your information on the tube itself after approval and prior to any activation work.
-The rest of it looks correct to me but I can’t remember exactly how I filled mine out
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swampfoxoutdoors] [#19]
Originally Posted By agb104983:

So full disclosure I’m sure you already sent in your form one so these comments might be moot.

-technically you are the manufacturer since you are not converting a firearm that’s already in existence.  If you still put the Soviet factory information in there will probably still get approved. When I first did my RPG-7 I think I put the Soviet factory information in there and everything got approved.  The RPG-2 I just filed I did it correctly and put my information in there as the manufacturer.
-40 mm is correct
-FYI even though the barrel length and overall length are exactly the same, if you do it via the electronic E form it will make you have the barrel length shorter than the overall length.  Typically people just list the barrel length as a 10th of an inch shorter.
-I also used her serial number from my grip since it’s going to be easier to make my tube numbers matching with my grip.  My current understanding is that you will have to engrave that serial number along with your information on the tube itself after approval and prior to any activation work.
-The rest of it looks correct to me but I can’t remember exactly how I filled mine out
View Quote

Someone posted here or on sturm they have a grip as the registered marked part. But think the way you listed is how most do it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 6:57:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Landsat8] [#20]

-40 mm is correct
View Quote

Thanks. I listed myself as the manufacturer and also ran into the barrel/overall length issue.

Submitted my Form 1 last week and sent off the fingerprints and CLEO letter today. Now the wait begins.

I’m planning on doing a 20 ga bolt action subcaliber trainer for this initially. Figure I can work up a load that will mimic the trajectory of at least the 50 meter setting on the sights. Also thinking of adding a pic rail for a red dot.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Thanks. I listed myself as the manufacturer and also ran into the barrel/overall length issue.

Submitted my Form 1 last week and sent off the fingerprints and CLEO letter today. Bow the wait begins.

I’m planning on doing a 20 ga bolt action subcaliber trainer for this initially. Figure I can work up a load that will mimic the trajectory of at least the 50 meter setting on the sights. Also thinking of adding a pic rail for a red dot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

-40 mm is correct

Submitted my Form 1 last week and sent off the fingerprints and CLEO letter today. Bow the wait begins.

Sent you a PM
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#22]
For anyone wondering, I believe 51M38 may have passed away back in June. I received my stamp earlier this month and reached out to buy a firing pin block without a response. After doing some digging I ran across an obituary I am confident is his

Now begins the task of recreating or remilitarizing the old block.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:51:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JonathanwFL] [#23]
Damn , really sorry to hear that

His Panzerfaust tube he sold me jumped started my career/dream to be in the firearms industry. I’m eternally grateful for his help

There’s someone I know who’s looking into filling in this gap in the market, he’s getting quotes for the tubing now

Link Posted: 10/21/2022 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JonathanwFL:
Damn , really sorry to hear that

His Panzerfaust tube he sold me jumped started my career/dream to be in the firearms industry. I’m eternally grateful for his help

There’s someone I know who’s looking into filling in this gap in the market, he’s getting quotes for the tubing now

View Quote

That’s good to hear.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I believe azaoinc has one.

https://azaoinc.com/shop/ols/products/rpg-2-launcher-vent-block-kit

Link Posted: 10/21/2022 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Winterstickgt:

View Quote

Thanks! Before you sent that, I was building a model and 3d printing a prototype firing pin block out of PLA. I was shocked to see quotes to cnc the model were $350+. This will fit the bill nicely.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 11:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: agb104983] [#27]
Originally Posted By Winterstickgt:

View Quote

@swampfoxoutdoors

It took me a while but I think his wife is taking care of his business affairs.  They never said he had passed away, only that there was some illness or something and they were helping out.  They finally reached out to me about a month ago or so and I got the block delivered.  You might resend a few emails to that email address and they should eventually get back to you.  Now that I looked up the information on his identity that you and I both have it appears you are correct, that is definitely his obituary because the wife’s name matches up with the person I was dealing with a month or so ago

On the flipside, when everything was still in limbo I was able to get it in touch with one of the guys involved with Azao and he offered me a vent block with firing pin and everything and said that they were either currently available or would be soon.  He also said that they might be offering a 3-D printed jig kit that you could probably purchase to align all of your parts properly and make the appropriate cuts/hole drills.

Also, Azao will be offering a variety of warheads and propellant kits from what I understand.  Not sure how much information I want to go into since I’m not sure if they want to keep all that private until officially released but everything from very dummy all the way up to super spicy(with proper licenses) and the General impression I got on the pricing was that it would be reasonable.  Sounds like they were already positioning to be a leader on RPG-2 launchers and supplies even before the recent issues some people have had with the original guy we all got our stuff from.  Which is great news.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks like AZAO is updating his website with pricing on the rockets!

https://azaoinc.com/shop/ols/products/pg-2-round-for-rpg-2-rpg-7-launchers

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:51:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks like AZAO is updating his website with pricing on the rockets!

https://azaoinc.com/shop/ols/products/pg-2-round-for-rpg-2-rpg-7-launchers

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416227/AZAO_png-2593376.JPG
View Quote

Sounds like it’s officially public now.  Now you guys can see why I was excited about his offerings and pricing.  You can shoot the El cheapo rounds for super cheap relative to the other options out there.  Plus for just a little more you can do the chalk rounds or spotting trainers.  I doubt many of us will pay the $200 and get the explosives license to use the actual DD explosive rounds but it’s nice that they are an option.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#30]
IS this legit/ happening?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#31]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/Untitled_jpg-2593703.JPG
View Quote

For that price I'll be first in line to get one
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#32]
yep Ill be game for one as well.

I added up the cost to reactivate a RPG-2 and didn't think it was worth the effort.

This on the other hand seems very economical and the training rounds are cheap.

When I figured it up before hand it was like $150-175 per shot.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#33]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/Untitled_jpg-2593703.JPG
View Quote

Yeah I have communicated directly with the guy and it is happening.  I’m not sure what the timeline is before those are available.  I think some of the parts are just like OEM but maybe the sites are going to be a little bit different but otherwise very close and a definite functional launcher.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Im excited about this. Maybe my next big NFA purchase
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I am so getting one of these!
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 6:24:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Landsat8] [#36]
yep Ill be game for one as well.

I added up the cost to reactivate a RPG-2 and didn't think it was worth the effort.

This on the other hand seems very economical and the training rounds are cheap.

When I figured it up before hand it was like $150-175 per shot.
View Quote

Currently going through the process to reactivate one. Stamp in hand. Buying a premade one is going to make much more sense for people getting into the game now. AZAO rpgs will be coming with an exhaust funnel and a second hand grip - things mine will be lacking for the time being.

Demilled launcher - $400
Tube (probably not available anymore) - $1500
Replacement firing pin block - $200
Steel pic rail section - $60
Total - $2160

Plus you need to factor in buying/borrowing welder if you don't have one.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#37]

Yeah I have communicated directly with the guy and it is happening.  I’m not sure what the timeline is before those are available.  I think some of the parts are just like OEM but maybe the sites are going to be a little bit different but otherwise very close and a definite functional launcher.
View Quote

I will second this, I've been in communication with the owner as well, the guy has some cool things coming.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top