BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You get the photonis because your bino bridge will break before your tube does. What difference is a ten vs two year warranty when most the shit that goes wrong is user error? Let me repeat this for the stubborn in the back:

Are you a normal, thoughtful, reasonable person? Then go Gen 2 because Gen 3 is a disposable item and designed to make cucked up pieces of shit like L3 monies for decades. Gen 2 won't break. Gen 2 is better oob. Gen 2 is the future. Gen 3, is shitty.

Unless you're doing star gazing or science, tits through a window are pretty much the same in green, chrome (cyborg titties best titties) thin filmed, thick filmed for her pleasure or no film because you like space herpes.

You guys are aware they burn tubes in house to error check them before shipping right? Probably for longer than any of you use them the next year after the first month of omg I apex now. Your tubes will break if you do these things:

1: leave them on when you shouldn't
2: live in an environment composed of helium
3: you bought L3 shit and they bent you over with the promise of high specs and gucci shit but failed to tell you in reality no one gives a fuck and all tubes dim, dipshit. Your specs last a year, less under real usage.
4: you drop them and you didn't buy Gen 2. Bonus if you have a panic attack, post here, realize it's just debris. That poor dude was probably beating himself up so hard over that.

If something was going to go wrong when they make a tube, they rip the top off, sell it without markings and who gives a fuck since most of you are waaaay to involved in giving a fuck about specs so you'd never buy it anyway. Overpaying is the new/old status symbol I guess. You even think that tubes aren't disposable pieces of shit designed to line the pockets of L3. The funny thing is in the NVG business, telling the truth costs you money.

Also, RNVG looks cool as shit. For those of you wondering why it's priced so cheap, it's because it's cheap as fuck to produce as ALL HOUSINGS ARE (ie ur getting played fam, the designs are mostly shit and the usage of epoxy is criminal) and the idea that any of you would even know the difference between f1.2 - f1.3. it's like +- 5% anyway. Tolerances are a bitch.

Blaming glass is so laughable. The Chinese glass is better anyway. You're going to lose more light from the shitty PVS 14 coatings than you would if you just cut the fucking glass yourself with a screwdriver. Milspec glass is shit.  You know what an import objective and ocular lens costs? Don't look, you'll hate yourself for overpaying and paying for reduced specs.

Every fucking time in these threads. Look, your eyeballs can't tell the difference and if they could, use more IR. Specs only matter to astronomers and fanbois. Your friend you show won't even know how to set the ocular properly so who gives a flying fuck about 64 vs 72 vs 2200 and 18um series whatever. You. Won't. Be. Able. To. Tell. Also, Photonis is the future. L3 are cucks and should suck a dick.

Seriously bad tubes are obvious. You're not going to get that from any of the major vendors here, even the verboten ones. You guys are worse than gear whores. No one knows or cares the fom formula when you take them out. They just see in the dark. Like you will. If you would just stop being so easily duped into caring about trivial shit like specs once they get past a certain level. You're not a scientist or astronomer, you're Gary, a semisuccesful middleclass guy who puts ten hours a year on your tubes but worries about a ten year warranty vs a two year warranty. Holy shit stop.

Also, whomst makes the RNVG and others:

STOP PUTTING ONBOARD IR LIGHTS, IT'S STUPID, IT'S A WASTE OF SPACE AND MATERIALS. THIS IS CURRENT YEAR +3, PUT A FUCKIN RHEOSTAT THERE BECAUSE NO ONE LIKES ABC WHEN STAR GAZING. NO ONE.

Love u my dudes. Just you all scare off the normal folks with buzzwords that don't mean shit. Stop it.

Also TNVC is kinda salty lately. I'm sorry you're salty fam, cheer up.
View Quote
This is probably my favorite post I’ve read on here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:12:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You get the photonis because your bino bridge will break before your tube does. What difference is a ten vs two year warranty when most the shit that goes wrong is user error? Let me repeat this for the stubborn in the back:

Are you a normal, thoughtful, reasonable person? Then go Gen 2 because Gen 3 is a disposable item and designed to make cucked up pieces of shit like L3 monies for decades. Gen 2 won't break. Gen 2 is better oob. Gen 2 is the future. Gen 3, is shitty.

Unless you're doing star gazing or science, tits through a window are pretty much the same in green, chrome (cyborg titties best titties) thin filmed, thick filmed for her pleasure or no film because you like space herpes.

You guys are aware they burn tubes in house to error check them before shipping right? Probably for longer than any of you use them the next year after the first month of omg I apex now. Your tubes will break if you do these things:

3: you bought L3 shit and they bent you over with the promise of high specs and gucci shit but failed to tell you in reality no one gives a fuck and all tubes dim, dipshit. Your specs last a year, less under real usage.
4: you drop them and you didn't buy Gen 2. Bonus if you have a panic attack, post here, realize it's just debris. That poor dude was probably beating himself up so hard over that.

If something was going to go wrong when they make a tube, they rip the top off, sell it without markings and who gives a fuck since most of you are waaaay to involved in giving a fuck about specs so you'd never buy it anyway. Overpaying is the new/old status symbol I guess. You even think that tubes aren't disposable pieces of shit designed to line the pockets of L3. The funny thing is in the NVG business, telling the truth costs you money.

Also, RNVG looks cool as shit. For those of you wondering why it's priced so cheap, it's because it's cheap as fuck to produce as ALL HOUSINGS ARE (ie ur getting played fam, the designs are mostly shit and the usage of epoxy is criminal) and the idea that any of you would even know the difference between f1.2 - f1.3. it's like +- 5% anyway. Tolerances are a bitch.

Blaming glass is so laughable. The Chinese glass is better anyway. You're going to lose more light from the shitty PVS 14 coatings than you would if you just cut the fucking glass yourself with a screwdriver. Milspec glass is shit.  You know what an import objective and ocular lens costs? Don't look, you'll hate yourself for overpaying and paying for reduced specs.

Every fucking time in these threads. Look, your eyeballs can't tell the difference and if they could, use more IR. Specs only matter to astronomers and fanbois. Your friend you show won't even know how to set the ocular properly so who gives a flying fuck about 64 vs 72 vs 2200 and 18um series whatever. You. Won't. Be. Able. To. Tell. Also, Photonis is the future. L3 are cucks and should suck a dick.

Seriously bad tubes are obvious. You're not going to get that from any of the major vendors here, even the verboten ones. You guys are worse than gear whores. No one knows or cares the fom formula when you take them out. They just see in the dark. Like you will. If you would just stop being so easily duped into caring about trivial shit like specs once they get past a certain level. You're not a scientist or astronomer, you're Gary, a semisuccesful middleclass guy who puts ten hours a year on your tubes but worries about a ten year warranty vs a two year warranty. Holy shit stop.

STOP PUTTING ONBOARD IR LIGHTS, IT'S STUPID, IT'S A WASTE OF SPACE AND MATERIALS. THIS IS CURRENT YEAR +3, PUT A FUCKIN RHEOSTAT THERE BECAUSE NO ONE LIKES ABC WHEN STAR GAZING. NO ONE.

Love u my dudes. Just you all scare off the normal folks with buzzwords that don't mean shit. Stop it.

View Quote
This is the truth!    Promote this man!
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Those cool pigtails can suck my dick. Real scientists worked at ITT before they got sold out and fired. L3 are cucks and the pigtail is a lie. It's not cool. It sucks.

I hate manual gain. I also like it. I like it enough to diy it up since our beloved manufacturers would rather put a stupid shoot me in the head light onboard. Dumb af. Probably bc they can't get an L3 pigtail to work right since they are all shit.

10160? Solder a 3mmx1mm smd resisistor on for shitty bino designs or run two wires and stuff em in the 7 or 14 housings with a small rheostat to keep the adjustable gain for when your tube dims a bit
View Quote
you da real MVP
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fantastic! I really enjoyed this post. Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Alright. Quick rundown, just got my RNVGs with WP Photonis tubes.

First off, these things are light. Impressively light, and seem like a strong design.

Don’t have a helmet yet, and I was too excited to wait for sun to set, so I did the next best thing and went to my bathroom and turned off the lights. There was no ambient light and could barely see the hand in front of my face. Turned these on, and I was impressed. I was expecting to have slightly poorer visibility with there being no light, but I could still see in great detail.

There will be more to come once I spend more time with these, but my initial impressions are fantastic. The Photonis tubes were a great choice. Glynn is also a great dude to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

First off, these things are light. Impressively light, and seem like a strong design.

Don’t have a helmet yet, and I was too excited to wait for sun to set, so I did the next best thing and went to my bathroom and turned off the lights. There was no ambient light and could barely see the hand in front of my face. Turned these on, and I was impressed. I was expecting to have slightly poorer visibility with there being no light, but I could still see in great detail.

There will be more to come once I spend more time with these, but my initial impressions are fantastic. The Photonis tubes were a great choice. Glynn is also a great dude to deal with.
View Quote
Yup. That’s what I keep trying to say  *just my opinion* but thousands more for 10-15% better?  Maybe 20% with a super tube?  No way. Unless someone else was paying.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yup. That’s what I keep trying to say  *just my opinion* but thousands more for 10-15% better?  Maybe 20% with a super tube?  No way. Unless someone else was paying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not like 6k is chump change either. People may get a little too hung up on what’s the best and most gucci, but fail to realize there is stuff out there for a bit less $$ that will still do everything they need.
Something something diminishing returns...
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
How are you liking the RNVG? I had planned on buying a set of DTNVG then the RNVG shows up and is very tempting.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#9]
So been playing with the RNVG for a couple days now. Not going to say much on the tubes as this thread is more for RNVG but so far I am really happy with the tubes.

The RNVG is a solid unit for sure. I have messed with most of the different housings out there and have extensive use of anvis systems. I’d say the RNVG is lightweight and strong but we all knew that.

I know the RNVG is not the only unit using the spot/flood piece on the onboard IR but this is the first time really getting some time behind it and it’s really nice actually!

The only downside I have found so far if you can even call it that. On my setup the RNVG mounts pretty high up. I am using a G24 Mount with a ops core carbon. The RNVG sits in the upper range of my vision with my g24 all the way down. I actually like it that way so I can look under the goggles when I need to. Could just be the way my face is structured or minor angle I wear my helmet. At any rate it does not bother me as it’s where I want it.

Still more messing around to do but so far I’m pretty darn happy with the RNVG.

Pew pew
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only downside I have found so far if you can even call it that. On my setup the RNVG mounts pretty high up. I am using a G24 Mount with a ops core carbon. The RNVG sits in the upper range of my vision with my g24 all the way down. I actually like it that way so I can look under the goggles when I need to. Could just be the way my face is structured or minor angle I wear my helmet. At any rate it does not bother me as it’s where I want it.
View Quote
I have noticed that with the Sentinels as well, all though not quite as bad. With the G24 all the way down I can view the whole image.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah i can get the whole image and adjust it a slight bit below that too. I’m just not use to that with anvis so seemed strange but probably just how it is.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I simply am not in the correct state of mind to understand a lot of the posts made on this thread. I assume there has been a mix of drunk ramblings, satire and possibly Ambien.

Can someone who is sober and not sleep deprived give me a cliff note version of the last page or so.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I simply am not in the correct state of mind to understand a lot of the posts made on this thread. I assume there has been a mix of drunk ramblings, satire and possibly Ambien.

Can someone who is sober and not sleep deprived give me a cliff note version of the last page or so.
View Quote
What I’ve learned so far:

RNVG = Good

Echo tube = Good

L3 Filmless tube = Best

You only live once buy now when your still young enough to get out and enjoy it :)
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Any new reviews out there?
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 6:11:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Bumps
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#16]
What is everyone wanting as far as reviews... I mean they are a no frills simple and light bino housing that takes pvs14 optics, 10160 format tubes, like sentinels but stronger, no battery pack or ball mount option, contact strip instead of wires. That’s about it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#17]
So I’ve had a chance to really put the rnvg through some testing and I’m still liking them. Been putting them through some long night raids down here at the Playas training facility. The only problem I’ve run into which I can say maybe I expected. On coming off of a lower roof top in the durka durka market I hit one of the tubes with my gun and hit it f%#king hard. One tube blacked out and the other went dim. I reset the power switch and back to normal. I’m guessing with the contact board this is kind of expected. Wouldn’t have happened with the sentinels but at any respect it took a freaking hard hit and no damage or adverse effect other than the tube going out till reset.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I was curious if this would be possible with the rnvg. I want to make sure I’m on the same page as you on this though. I’m assuming you’re saying this happened due to the electrical contacts from the bridge to the tubes? Same as the mod 3s having intermittent blackouts while driving rough terrain?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was curious if this would be possible with the rnvg. I want to make sure I'm on the same page as you on this though. I'm assuming you're saying this happened due to the electrical contacts from the bridge to the tubes? Same as the mod 3s having intermittent blackouts while driving rough terrain?
View Quote
The symptoms at least suggest something like. Voltage got low, one tube shut down completely and the other got into that odd dim mode some tubes do when severely undervolted.

Because both sides were affected I would guess the problem happened earlier than in the contacts between the pods to the bridge. Whether it showed the critical battery indicator or not can tell more about where it happened - meaning if the board got indication of low voltage too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#20]
What’s the word on remote batts for these?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was curious if this would be possible with the rnvg. I want to make sure I’m on the same page as you on this though. I’m assuming you’re saying this happened due to the electrical contacts from the bridge to the tubes? Same as the mod 3s having intermittent blackouts while driving rough terrain?
View Quote
It would appear to be somewhat the same problem but I don’t think there would be a problem with them getting jolted on rough road and doing the same thing. I hit them really hard with the butt of my rifle, so hard that I was sure I might of partially broken a pod but on inspection no play and zero damage! These really are a extremely ruggedized system!
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What’s the word on remote batts for these?
View Quote
Good question and to be honest I thought this thread all but died out.  I want to get a pair of these but would like the battery pack option like the Sentinels.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#25]
RUMINT has it that ABNV will retrofit them for a remote pack, but I’ve heard nothing but rumors on this.

I shot them an e-mail about this and will report back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Roger. Thanks.

Quoted:
Yes AB can mod your current RNVG for back up battery hook up for $100. Don't know ETA and/or turnaround time as they've been very busy as of late.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes AB can mod your current RNVG for back up battery hook up for $100. Don't know ETA and/or turnaround time as they've been very busy as of late.
View Quote
Is this a new development? I contacted them a little over a month ago and they said they weren’t doing it yet and had no plan to for the near future. Would love to be wrong on what I heard.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Are you certain of that?

I love the Sentinels, and they are super tough and durable, and since I’m still partial to the ANVIS style mount, they’re still very much my huckleberry, but they’re not invincible, and we’ve seen some guys fuck ‘em up something awful.

FWIW, guys poo-poo it a lot, but this is part of the reason why some mounts have breakways, an ANVIS mount or G24 (with the breakaway enabled) might’ve popped the google loose (retention, retention, retention), but it’s better than destroying your goggle and being NMC for the rest of the op/mission/game, especially if you have to pay to fix it yourself...

I have no way of knowing exactly how hard you came down, you could be right, you could be wrong, but you made a point of how hard it was, so it may be worth considering that it could have gone another way.

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wouldn’t have happened with the sentinels
Are you certain of that?

I love the Sentinels, and they are super tough and durable, and since I’m still partial to the ANVIS style mount, they’re still very much my huckleberry, but they’re not invincible, and we’ve seen some guys fuck ‘em up something awful.

FWIW, guys poo-poo it a lot, but this is part of the reason why some mounts have breakways, an ANVIS mount or G24 (with the breakaway enabled) might’ve popped the google loose (retention, retention, retention), but it’s better than destroying your goggle and being NMC for the rest of the op/mission/game, especially if you have to pay to fix it yourself...

I have no way of knowing exactly how hard you came down, you could be right, you could be wrong, but you made a point of how hard it was, so it may be worth considering that it could have gone another way.

~Augee
I guess I should of clarified... it would have not cut the power since the sentinels have wires connecting them vs the RNVG has contacts that ride on the bridge. It’s very possible the pod could of broken off completely with as hard as I hit them if it was sentinels. I was not clear in my meaning and didn’t mean the sentinels wouldn’t have broke I just meant if they didn’t break they probably would not have cut power from the knock like what happened to RNVG. I’m a firm believer that the RNVG maybe arguably are the toughest goggles in that type of housing format.

Good point on the breakaway. I did not see the point to break away but after that I run my g24 in break away now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Heard back from AB Today.

Confirmed what TNVC is stating. Still ironing out the design and will announce the adapter when it's ready to roll.

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Confirmed what TNVC is stating. Still ironing out the design and will announce the adapter when it's ready to roll.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Tits McGee...
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Just a stupid question. But was on tnvc's e-coti page and was wondering if they were compatable. Just something I would hate to learn learn after the fact
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes, the E-COTI will work with the RNVG.

~Augee
View Quote
Will the older 320x240 version COTI work with this RNVG?

With this unit fitted with the COTI on one tube of a dual bino, to avoid the user from being distracted by two different images, thermal and NV.

Since the COTI is over one eye, without having to disassemble the other NV pod, will the inability of being unable to rotate the other NV pod tube upward, or to the side, be a disadvantage compared to other types of of NV like a DTNVG?   What are you guys recommending for the COTI, mono or dual, so as to not confuse the brain with two different images?

PS When is the TNVC site coming back up?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Since the COTI is over one eye, without having to disassemble the other NV pod, will the inability of being unable to rotate the other NV pod tube upward, or to the side, be a disadvantage compared to other types of of NV like a DTNVG?   What are you guys recommending for the COTI, mono or dual, so as to not confuse the brain with two different images?
View Quote
COTI over one eye of your binos is great. I typically prefer the outline mode so it doesn't obscure whatever is hot and you can see 'through' the thermal highlight and identify face/hands/whatever with the I2 tube. I've never tried dual COTIs lol - might be awesome. But no, my brain has no problems with it only having the thermal added to one eye.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

COTI over one eye of your binos is great. I typically prefer the outline mode so it doesn't obscure whatever is hot and you can see 'through' the thermal highlight and identify face/hands/whatever with the I2 tube. I've never tried dual COTIs lol - might be awesome. But no, my brain has no problems with it only having the thermal added to one eye.
View Quote
Good to know that. Thank you.

Yes, two COTI over each eye! I doubt they would be in sync, if they were, it would be amazing.

I'm going to seriously consider this RNVG as one of my bino picks, if it is compatible with the COTI.

Though I do prefer the DTNVG style, to be able and take each tube to the side, etc..

Being rugged and salt waterproof, with the best Gen 3 or 4 tube selection are at the top of my list.

Yes I'd love to be able to swap AA and 123's like the Flir BNVD 51, but their tube selection is limited to FLAG and Ghost.

It is a plus if the RNVG can be had in the latest Gen 4

The rugged RNVG at $8300 retail vs other $9-12,000 bino. Maybe there will be some good BF sales soon.

The price here is not so much the issue, it's finding the best and latest choice for the old COTI.

Now the challenge is finding the best for legal civilian sale bino, with the most line pair 74+ possible, in L3 Omni VIII WP or G4 Photonis INTENS WP, etc. until the fused versions are released to the public.

Maybe this RNVG in the thread is the answer, if you guys are all happy with them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:59:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes, two COTI over each eye! I doubt they would be in sync, if they were, it would be amazing.

I'm going to seriously consider this RNVG as one of my bino picks, if it is compatible with the COTI.

Though I do prefer the DTNVG style, to be able and take each tube to the side, etc..

Being rugged and salt waterproof, with the best Gen 3 or 4 tube selection are at the top of my list.

Yes I'd love to be able to swap AA and 123's like the Flir BNVD 51, but their tube selection is limited to FLAG and Ghost.

The rugged RNVG at $8300 retail vs other $9-12,000 bino. Maybe there will be some good BF sales soon.

The price here is not so much the issue, it's finding the best and latest choice for the old COTI.

Now the challenge is finding the best for legal civilian sale bino, with the most line pair 74+ possible, in L3 Omni VIII WP or G4 Photonis INTENS WP, etc. until the fused versions are released to the public.

Maybe this RNVG in the thread is the answer, if you guys are all happy with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple things.

When you say the latest Gen 4, I'm assuming you are referring to Photonis 4G Intens tubes. Please understand 4G does not mean Gen 4. There is no such thing as Gen 4 NV. The 4G designation is an internal moniker used by Photonis to grade their own tubes. There is a minimum spec Photonis requires one of their own tubes to meet in order to be sold as a 4G Intens. In the states if the tube didn't meet the 4G spec it gets sold as an Echo tube. You will also see Echo tubes referred to as DEP Hybrid Photonis Echo tubes. Some distributers of these tubes also will sell them as standard or HD which is basically their own internal hand select process and not necessarily a grading from Photonis. Please be informed that both 4G Intens and Echo tubes are Gen 2 by definition. However, they have a couple of properties that are more inherent to Gen 3 tubes vs. Gen 2 tubes (hence the term Hybrid). They increase their stated life span from the typical Gen 2's 2000 hours to 10,000 hours. They share Gen 3 level specs. They also have some unique properties such as good high light performance, super fast autogating which is said to protect the tube from light better, and the ability to see out of band spectrums of light (which at this point is not 100% useful, at least for us civilians that don't know what the super secrets are doing with it yet). With all that said, although the photonis tubes look really good, the L3 filmless tubes are still king of the hill. There is a pair of videos out there by ultimate night vision comparing the Intens vs the L3 filmless in hight light and low light. You need to go watch them, and pay close attention to the shadows, pausing the video if need be. The Intens does a great job, and so do the Echo's from what I read, but just look at the shadows for yourself.

On to the next point which is your last statement about finding the best civilian legal bino. I would say good luck if you want to find a 74+ line pair set of binos. Currently the L3 unfilmed tubes are hitting the highest specs but from what I understand the military is collecting the high spec ones like halloween candy. You could probably get that high spec of a tube but it will take a really long time. I have a set of DTNVGs being built right now and I am being sourced some really high spec L3 filmless tubes. My chances of getting two 72 line pair tubes is really good, in fact I pretty much know I will. But, my chances of getting any higher than that, I know are pretty much non-existent. At least if I want to get my goggles sometime in the next few years, and I am hoping to have them this month or next, so that just isn't in the cards, lol. Also, remember it is rare to find 1 tube with that high of a spec, and when you are doing goggles you need 2. Not only with the high spec but with other specs that match up well, such as SNR, EBI, Halo, etc...

Another option to find some really high spec tubes might be to look for some pvs 31a's since their intended market was the military they may have higher spec tubes. There is a set for sale in the EE right now that supposedly are free and clear of any contract purchase. You might pm that seller and ask them the specs. I believe the asking price is 14K.

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just letting you know some information.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A couple things.

When you say the latest Gen 4, I'm assuming you are referring to Photonis 4G Intens tubes. Please understand 4G does not mean Gen 4. There is no such thing as Gen 4 NV. The 4G designation is an internal moniker used by Photonis to grade their own tubes. There is a minimum spec Photonis requires one of their own tubes to meet in order to be sold as a 4G Intens. In the states if the tube didn't meet the 4G spec it gets sold as an Echo tube. You will also see Echo tubes referred to as DEP Hybrid Photonis Echo tubes. Some distributers of these tubes also will sell them as standard or HD which is basically their own internal hand select process and not necessarily a grading from Photonis. Please be informed that both 4G Intens and Echo tubes are Gen 2 by definition. However, they have a couple of properties that are more inherent to Gen 3 tubes vs. Gen 2 tubes (hence the term Hybrid). They increase their stated life span from the typical Gen 2's 2000 hours to 10,000 hours. They share Gen 3 level specs. They also have some unique properties such as good high light performance, super fast autogating which is said to protect the tube from light better, and the ability to see out of band spectrums of light (which at this point is not 100% useful, at least for us civilians that don't know what the super secrets are doing with it yet). With all that said, although the photonis tubes look really good, the L3 filmless tubes are still king of the hill. There is a pair of videos out there by ultimate night vision comparing the Intens vs the L3 filmless in hight light and low light. You need to go watch them, and pay close attention to the shadows, pausing the video if need be. The Intens does a great job, and so do the Echo's from what I read, but just look at the shadows for yourself.

On to the next point which is your last statement about finding the best civilian legal bino. I would say good luck if you want to find a 74+ line pair set of binos. Currently the L3 unfilmed tubes are hitting the highest specs but from what I understand the military is collecting the high spec ones like halloween candy. You could probably get that high spec of a tube but it will take a really long time. I have a set of DTNVGs being built right now and I am being sourced some really high spec L3 filmless tubes. My chances of getting two 72 line pair tubes is really good, in fact I pretty much know I will. But, my chances of getting any higher than that, I know are pretty much non-existent. At least if I want to get my goggles sometime in the next few years, and I am hoping to have them this month or next, so that just isn't in the cards, lol. Also, remember it is rare to find 1 tube with that high of a spec, and when you are doing goggles you need 2. Not only with the high spec but with other specs that match up well, such as SNR, EBI, Halo, etc...

Another option to find some really high spec tubes might be to look for some pvs 31a's since their intended market was the military they may have higher spec tubes. There is a set for sale in the EE right now that supposedly are free and clear of any contract purchase. You might pm that seller and ask them the specs. I believe the asking price is 14K.

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just letting you know some information.
View Quote
Sir

Thank you for taking the time, presenting a very educational and detailed reply, helping out a guy who knows close to zero about this.

Yes I meant the Photonis 4G Intens tubes being presented by some as GEN4.

I meant to write 72 Line Pairs since that is the most I see listed in the Resolution: 64-72 lp/mm range for sale at a number of online retailers in their descriptions.

I will have to hope, pray and wait for at least 72 lp/mm matching binos/tubes, or failing that go 72 lp mono for my COTI.

The cold hard facts of reality you kindly write about, gives me the feeling I will see Jesus before the matching tubes, hopefully the two together and priced less.

Not knowing any better, I would prefer seeing that extra spectral range with the Photonis, whatever that is, someday. If that could be a weaponized range, i.e., IR aiming lasers used against us or to be developed.

Judging by the still photos on ar15 I've seen thus far, the Photonis Intens 4G seem to have the clearest image, with minimal black flak.

However if you go to photonis and click on the Urban, Battlefield and Forrest demo links below. Their simulations are not as nice, clear and bright as the ones posted on ar15 and elsewhere.

Photonis Urban, Battlefield and Forrest demonstrator

Photonis 4g image intensifier tube OEM info

Here may be the links you referenced, I still need to review, that may also be of help to others

Photonis Intens 4G vs. L3 Gen 3 Filmless - High Light Comparison

Photonis Intens 4G vs. L3 Gen 3 Filmless - Low Light Comparison

What is most confusing about NV is, how the buyer differentiates the product OEM factory made, as in the whole unit is made by Litton, etc, from the made to order kit builder or tool shed project. Many times this is not made clear in plain language for the novice.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sir

Thank you for taking the time, presenting a very educational and detailed reply, helping out a guy who knows close to zero about this.

I meant to write 72 Line Pairs since that is the most I see listed in the Resolution: 64-72 lp/mm range for sale at a number of online retailers in their descriptions.

I will have to hope, pray and wait for at least 72 lp/mm matching binos/tubes, or failing that go 72 lp mono for my COTI.

The cold hard facts of reality you kindly write about, gives me the feeling I will see Jesus before the matching tubes, hopefully the two together and priced less.

Not knowing any better, I would prefer seeing that extra spectral range with the Photonis, whatever that is, someday. If that could be a weaponized range, i.e., IR aiming lasers used against us or to be developed.

Judging by the still photos on ar15 I've seen thus far, the Photonis Intens 4G seem to have the clearest image, with minimal black flak.

However if you go to photonis and click on the Urban, Battlefield and Forrest demo links below. Their simulations are not as nice, clear and bright as the ones posted on ar15 and elsewhere.

Here may be the links you referenced, I still need to review, that may also be of help to others

What is most confusing about NV is, how the buyer differentiates the product OEM factory made, as in the whole unit is made by Litton, etc, from the made to order kit builder or tool shed project. Many times this is not made clear in plain language for the novice.
View Quote
Couple of things. I have had two sets of pvs-14’s. One set was two Omni 7 pvs-14’s I bought from a guy two weeks apart. There was no perceivable difference, at least to me, in the image.

Now I have two pvs-14’s with Photonis echo tubes. One is 66 lpmm with 32.5 snr and one is 64 lpmm and a 31.3 snr. While apart I can see a tiny tiny tiny tiny difference, once my eyes merge them together I just get one great looking image.

As far as quality.  Each tube differs. And a tube could have an amazing spec sheet and not look as crisp and good as a tube with a spec sheet that’s not as amazing. It’s weird but it is what it is.

The only thing I can tell you for sure, imo, is the Photonis and L3 WP filmless tubes both look amazing 90% of the time. If you’re in a high or mixed light environment the Photonis have the ability and do handle it better. But in extreme darkness the L3 has the advantage. Is not huge, but it’s noticeable.

Here is another thing to muddy the water. Everyone has different eyes. My friend didn’t see any performance difference in extreme low light  between my echo tubes and L3’s. I did however. I could see more with the L3’s where with my echos it was just shadow. Not a ton mind you.

I know it’s diffi but you really should try them for yourself.

Edit: just to be clear, I think my friend is on crack lol. He didn’t see the difference in extreme dark but there was. The L3 outperforms in the extreme dark. There is just no debate about it.

And I really like my Photonis tubes but I do want to officially get some L3 tubes. Why?  Eh, I dunno. I could still navigate that night where I compared the L3 and my echo’s. They are more money too but.....eh....I just want the best.

Of course, in high light or mixed urban areas I don’t reslly have to worry about image burn and stuff like that.

But at the end of the day it’s NIGHT vision. So I want to see in the darkest of dark as possible.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sir

View Quote
No problem.

Don't let what I write scare you away from getting what you want. I didn't. Just cluing you in to what I've been finding out about hoping for those gold dipped tubes. It may take quite some time.

Also, what NVJunkie says about the specs and tube cleanliness, etc... is true. I just picked up a used pvs 14 off the EE, I should have it in a few days. I didn't ask for the spec sheet. I didn't really care. I knew I was buying it from someone with great feedback, and the tube picture and description from the seller showed that it was extremely clean. No blems, no pepper flaking, etc... The specs didn't matter so much to me because I think I'm going to get a really clear image with this one. I've read a lot of reports of people coming into average spec'd tubes that had an amazing image, maybe they didn't resolve all the shadows, etc.. but they were really clean and HD like.

I hear you on the photonis tubes. I agree, they look stupid clean. I would pay more attention to the user posted photos on this than the company materials. I will get some at some point, but for my big money set up I wanted what would see into the DARK the best. I'll admit somewhat because I am vain. But also because I'm spending a buttload of money and want the best I can find, period. And as of now that's the L3 filmless. Even those with the photonis tubes that are very happy with them agree on that point.

As far as the out of band is concerned, I think the hope is for ir illumination/aiming that isn't seen by the enemy. But I haven't gotten too excited about that yet, I think it's a long way off and I'll probably be buying another set by the time any of that goes mainstream into aiming/illumination devices. Also, they are not produced in the US so I'm not so sure they will stay exclusive to here. Who knows... I am curious what kind of behind the scenes, top secret, witchery is going on at L3 as far as incorporating this into their Gen 3 technology. I'm sure they aren't just sitting there staring at the wall and laughing at it.

And yes, those are the videos I was talking about when you watch them pay attention to the shadows rather than the open spaces, that is where you will see the differences. Look at the darkest spots you can find on the photonis side, then look at the same spot on the L3 side.

Also, like NVJunkie said you can rent all these different items to try them out for yourself.

Good luck, I twisted my mind for 3 to 4 months before making a decision. It's a tough choice.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top