Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2022 2:07:17 PM EDT
17 cent 75 gr BTHP!

This is a brand new product by RMR.  Basically, all I have done is rudimentary accuracy tests to make sure that I'm happy with it's accuracy capability.  I've been using 75-77 grain load data from Hornady or Sierra with good results.  Our bullet machine is not supposed to be able to make a bullet this long but we did some cheating and work arounds and we were able to get it to make a pretty awesome bullet.  There is a small ring near the tip that is just part of the process of cheating the creation of this bullet, but accuracy is not affected.  Initial testing tells me this bullet has a better BC than the Hornady, but I haven't been able to test it fully at distance yet.  Any feedback on BC and accuracy will be much appreciated.

Also, keep in mind that these are polished in corn cob media and there will be tiny pieces of media stuck in the tips.  It does not affect accuracy.

Edit to the all caps in the title. dryflash3
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
17 cent 75 gr BTHP!

This is a brand new product by RMR.  Basically, all I have done is rudimentary accuracy tests to make sure that I’m happy with it’s accuracy capability.  I’ve been using 75-77 grain load data from Hornady or Sierra with good results.  Our bullet machine is not supposed to be able to make a bullet this long but we did some cheating and work arounds and we were able to get it to make a pretty awesome bullet.  There is a small ring near the tip that is just part of the process of cheating the creation of this bullet, but accuracy is not affected.  Initial testing tells me this bullet has a better BC than the Hornady, but I haven’t been able to test it fully at distance yet.  Any feedback on BC and accuracy will be much appreciated.

Also, keep in mind that these are polished in corn cob media and there will be tiny pieces of media stuck in the tips.  It does not affect accuracy.
View Quote

I'm in for feedback from you boys! Can't wait to see how these stack up against 77 SMK's.

-ZA
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm in for feedback from you boys! Can't wait to see how these stack up against 77 SMK's.

-ZA
View Quote

#Me too!

If these preform likewise I will be going to them over the more expensive SMK's.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in for 500, worth a try anyway. Using RAR
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
System Message
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Triple tap
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Triple tap
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Changed my mind, thread is open again.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I wasn't sure even about posting it.

News or advertisement.

I hope these work out as well!
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#10]
How thick are the jackets on these?  

One reason I ask is, some people are complaining about Hornady having thinned the jacket of the 75gr HPBT-M bullet and they're consequently having the bullets disintegrate in flight.  

I'm not sure Hornady did that but that is the complaint and I have no reason to disbelieve them except that I never have that happen to mine.

How about a profile photo with the Hornady, Sierra, PRVI and RMR bullets side-by-side?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#11]
This is fantastic news! I corresponded with RMR a few years ago asking for this. I’m very glad to hear there was a work-around.

Just bought 1k.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I was curious how there were so many reviews of this brand new product, it seems they accidentally moved all of the reviews from the 69 grain bullets onto this page for the 75s. The 69gr page now has 0 reviews.

They used the same picture from the 69gr page too, so don't try to guesstimate geometry from those.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#13]
500 on the way. Am crossing my fingers these will be better than the 75g Hornday.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 2:05:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
500 on the way. Am crossing my fingers these will be better than the 75g Hornday.
View Quote

I'd be happy with equivalent accuracy and reasonably close in BC at this price.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

-ZA
View Quote

I highly doubt they will and i don't believe they are intended to.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm interested to hear how these do.  Would be awesome to save some money from the SMK's if they are fairly decent.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I think their 69gr HPBTs are priced fairly as a decent bullet for half the price of the Sierras.

If these perform as well as the 69gr I'd buy some just to have on hand although I do like the Nosler 77gr Custom Comps for ~7-10 cents more per bullet last time I purchased. Will wait to see some real world reports on these RMRs.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Not to rag or anything. But if this is a brand new product, then why are there reviews for it going all the way back to Dec. 2020?

I'm still going to buy some. But inquiring minds would like to know.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I think it's a web programming error. This are the reviews from the 69 gr
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Very interested in their performance as well for 300 to 600 yards.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's wrong with the Hornady 75 gr HPBT bullets?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have found this bullet difficult to find a good load for. The 69 SMK shoots well with just about every powder. The 75g Hornday 23.4 grains of 8208 (above max FYI) seems the sweet spot and the only powder I can shoot a sub MOA 10 shot group.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#23]
im in for 3k. also bought a couple thousand 9mm bullets. Crap... just realized the only barrels I own with a fast enough twist are ARs.

oh well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing.

Reloading For The AR-15:  Hornady 75 Grain BTHP

Hornady produces three different versions of their 75 grain open-tip-match bullet in 22 caliber (0.224”). For this article, we’ll be looking at the projectile that is colloquially referred to as the “T1”.

The T1 is available as a reloading component, with a product number of #2279 for the 100 count boxes. It’s also available in 600 and 4000 count boxes.

I use the Hornady 75 grain BTHP bullet to load match-grade hand-loads for my semi-automatic AR-15s chambered in 5.56mm/223 Remington. According to Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets by Bryan Litz, the Hornady 75 grain BTHP has an average G1 ballistic coefficient of 0.356 and an average G7 ballistic coefficient of 0.183.

The lot of T1 projectiles used for this article have a nominal length of 0.988” and I load them to a nominal COAL of 2.245”. When fired from a Colt SOCOM barrel with a 5.56mm NATO chamber, this COAL will create a jump to the lands of 178 thousandths of an inch. When fired from a Larue Stealth barrel with a 223 Wylde chamber, this COAL will create a jump to the lands of 115 thousandths of an inch and when fired from a Krieger barrel with a 223 Remington chamber, this COAL will create a jump to the lands of 78 thousandths of an inch.

The jump to the lands figures stated above where obtained using a Sinclair bullet seating depth gauge and a Forster 223 Remington 1.4636” head-space gauge. These figures are contingent upon a variety of variables, such as the particular chamber reamer that was used for your barrel, the number of rounds that have been fired through your barrel when the measurement is obtained, the particular lot of bullets used and whether you use a virgin case, a fired case, a resized case or a head-space gauge to obtain this measurement.

WARNING!
Reloading is an inherently dangerous activity. The information provided here is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be used for the actual loading of ammunition by the reader. No warranty, guarantee or assurance that these loads are safe is stated, suggested or implied nor should any be inferred. Usage of this information for the actual loading of ammunition may result in malfunctions, damage and destruction of property and grave injury or death to beings human in nature or otherwise. Don't even view this information in the presence of children or small animals.

For this hand-load of the Hornady 75 grain BTHP bullet, I use virgin Lake City brass that has been weight-sorted, match-prepped and neck-sized. The cases are primed with Federal GM205M primers and charged with VihtaVuori N140 powder and as mentioned above, the T1 projectile is seated to a COAL of 2.245”. This process is conducted in a semi-progressive manner on a Dillon XL-650 press using a digital electronic powder dispenser and scale to dispense a powder charge of 24.1 grains of the VihtaVuori N140.

When chronographed from a 20” Colt A2 barrel, a 10-shot string of this hand-load fired over an Oehler 35P produced a muzzle velocity of 2638 FPS with a standard deviation of 4 FPS and a coefficient of variation of 0.15%. (The muzzle velocity was calculated from the instrumental velocity using Oehler Ballistic Explorer.) A 10-shot group fired from one of my Krieger barreled AR-15s, at distance of 100 yards using my bench-rest set-up, had an extreme spread of 0.526 MOA.

No canines were harmed during the testing of this ammunition.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

As I posted above, "...some people are complaining about Hornady having thinned the jacket of the 75gr HPBT-M bullet and they're consequently having the bullets disintegrate in flight."

Then, there's other issues such as described by carcrazysammy, above.

I've personally experienced neither of those issues, nor any others.  The 75 Hornady functions reliably and shoots well in all my rifles.  If there is a caveat, it's that mine are from an inventory I bought 10 years ago.  Could Hornady have changed things since then to cause others to have these issues?

If RMR's product is as good as Hornady (or better) and they are less expensive, then why not try them?

I wonder how the RMR 75 fairs in gel testing (hunting, self defense)?
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some people have experienced blowups. I have not had that problem shooting them out of a 6.5 gain twist Bartlein, but I clean my barrels after every match.

B
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bang steel @ 800y every weekend with this bullet. So I'd say nothing is wrong with it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a thing, but if we can get the same results for 25% less money it is a win-win.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Heh, heh, those Hornadys are some tough competition for RMR.

At the same time, it means good testing has to be done to feret-out the differences or even if to know, for sure, there are no differences.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#30]
If I can offset my now increased primer costs with these bullets in sub-600yd tactical rifle matches versus using 77gr SMKs, that would be nice

Wish I could order 100 just for testing
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If I can offset my now increased primer costs with these bullets ...
View Quote

That's a very good point.  Still, they have to perform or the savings isn't worth it.  

Personally, I'm waiting to see results from others.  I already have a decent supply of 75's, so I can wait and watch, for now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone received and loaded these yet?
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Would've been less doubt had OP quoted the webpage.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a chance to run out and give them a try. 23.4 grains of 8208, Ginex SRP, 2.26 oal. All 10 shot groups at 100 yards. They are very promising.

This is shot from a 20" WOA, only 100 or so rounds down range. Still not consistent but thought would try these new bullets.

Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I was under impressed with the 69’s, maybe these will be better.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was under impressed with the 69’s, maybe these will be better.
View Quote

That left target had 7 holes in less than a quarter inch. The first 5 were in that tight cluster. I should have stopped but wanted to run 10 shot groups. 10 shot groups is a more honest test of a particular load. 3 shot groups make me laugh.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 3:16:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That left target had 7 holes in less than a quarter inch. The first 5 were in that tight cluster. I should have stopped but wanted to run 10 shot groups. 10 shot groups is a more honest test of a particular load. 3 shot groups make me laugh.
View Quote

Was it the bullets or the shooter that opened the groups up?  Did you call those shots as wide or did they just hit wide?

Knowing how to interpret your shooting is everything, essential, to evaluating the bullets, as opposed to the load or the shooter.  You are in the best position to interpret this for us.

Without that, it's just holes in paper.

Harping on that theme some more,...

Many shots in a tight group and few off-call impacts is a pretty classic performance for a not-so-good bullet.  

The lack of fliers is what makes a good bullet.

Which are yours?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I am not a good bench shooter. Decent and am getting better all the time but have never done well in local benchers matches.

This was shot with a Nightforce ATACR 4-16. When shooting for groups I try not to pay attention to each shot. If I have a good group going I always choke on the next one. That small group was in my peripheral vision at the time. I couldn't help but notice the next 4 that screwed things up.

Would be fun to see a report from Molon on these. I think with a good shooter they might do well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am not a good bench shooter. Decent and am getting better all the time but have never done well in local benchers matches.

This was shot with a Nightforce ATACR 4-16. When shooting for groups I try not to pay attention to each shot. If I have a good group going I always choke on the next one. That small group was in my peripheral vision at the time. I couldn't help but notice the next 4 that screwed things up.

Would be fun to see a report from Molon on these. I think with a good shooter they might do well.
View Quote

Are you saying these groups are as large as they are because of limitations in your shooting skill and not the bullet?  That is what I get from your post.

If so, then your groups are not indicative of bullet's performance.

One way to overcome that is to shoot a group of known good ammo on the same target.  Then we can gage the new bullet's performance relative to some thing already know.  At 100 yards a 52 SMK is a good one, or even the 75 gr HPBT-M which this bullet competes with.

Here's the some of the numbers behind this problem -

Let's say you are a 1 MOA shooter (shooter + rifle + sights) testing a bullet that is good for .5 MOA.  The net error in the test will be 1.1 MOA.  

It is difficult to discern 1.1 MOA from a 1.0 MOA shooter with a sample of only 10 shots.

Still, if the bullet produces groups down around what you can shoot (1 MOA), it is "good enough" for your use.

If I am a 0.5 MOA shooter and get groups that are 1.1 MOA, then I can say the bullet is only good down to 1.0 MOA.  

If that were the case, even if I am perfect (HA!), I will still get 1 MOA groups - not what I want in a bullet.

If you can shoot 0.5 MOA and the groups are 0.5 to 0.75 MOA, and you can confidently report no fliers in the test, then we can say the bullet is good for 0.5 MOA and possibly better.  

Now, THAT would be an interesting, lower cost bullet.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You should make the first post clear about whether you are a customer or a company representative.

We might need to add a rule for this forum to make that clear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah I wasn't sure even about posting it.

News or advertisement.

I hope these work out as well!
You should make the first post clear about whether you are a customer or a company representative.

We might need to add a rule for this forum to make that clear.

Yeah... just a customer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm definitely excited about these. I have ~1500 .224 bullets of varying shapes and sizes to load before I get to these, but cheap-ish 75s would be fantastic for general purpose usage.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:41:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Are you saying these groups are as large as they are because of limitations in your shooting skill and not the bullet?  That is what I get from your post.

If so, then your groups are not indicative of bullet's performance.

One way to overcome that is to shoot a group of known good ammo on the same target.  Then we can gage the new bullet's performance relative to some thing already know.  At 100 yards a 52 SMK is a good one, or even the 75 gr HPBT-M which this bullet competes with.

Here's the some of the numbers behind this problem -

Let's say you are a 1 MOA shooter (shooter + rifle + sights) testing a bullet that is good for .5 MOA.  The net error in the test will be 1.1 MOA.  

It is difficult to discern 1.1 MOA from a 1.0 MOA shooter with a sample of only 10 shots.

Still, if the bullet produces groups down around what you can shoot (1 MOA), it is "good enough" for your use.

If I am a 0.5 MOA shooter and get groups that are 1.1 MOA, then I can say the bullet is only good down to 1.0 MOA.  

If that were the case, even if I am perfect (HA!), I will still get 1 MOA groups - not what I want in a bullet.

If you can shoot 0.5 MOA and the groups are 0.5 to 0.75 MOA, and you can confidently report no fliers in the test, then we can say the bullet is good for 0.5 MOA and possibly better.  

Now, THAT would be an interesting, lower cost bullet.

View Quote

What I am trying to say is the large groups could be my fault. However today I shot 2 5 shot sub Moa groups with the RMR bullet. My White Oak Armament upper really likes them. The Daniel Defense upper not so much. The WOA upper shot a half inch 5 shot group with the 75 grain Hornday bullet which is impressive. All my uppers shoot that 69 SMK bullet over 26 grains of Varget very well.

Sammy
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Many shots in a tight group and few off-call impacts is a pretty classic performance for a not-so-good bullet.  

The lack of fliers is what makes a good bullet.
View Quote

Came here to post this.

3 out of 10 shots off call by that much makes the bullet useless for most competitive purposes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What I am trying to say is the large groups could be my fault. However today I shot 2 5 shot sub Moa groups with the RMR bullet. My White Oak Armament upper really likes them. The Daniel Defense upper not so much. The WOA upper shot a half inch 5 shot group with the 75 grain Hornday bullet which is impressive. All my uppers shoot that 69 SMK bullet over 26 grains of Varget very well.

Sammyhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109231/20220820_125843-2496997.jpg
View Quote

That's an interesting target, carcrazysammy.  It has a lot of info on one piece of paper.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's an interesting target, carcrazysammy.  It has a lot of info on one piece of paper.
View Quote

I was doing the moon-walk on the way out to the target until I saw it. That 1/2" 5 shot group looked like one hole through the optic. Oh well, it isn't the 1/4" group I thought but still a great day.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sammyhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109231/20220820_125843-2496997.jpg

Looks line the rmr has potential.  Thanks Sammy!
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:56:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Looks line the rmr has potential.  Thanks Sammy!
View Quote

I overlaid the top left with the top middle, both from the White Oak rifle.  The two meld into a nice 10 shot composite group.  

For me, the issue is how different the 18" DD is from the 20" WOA.  I wouldn't want a bullet good in only one rifle.

Is it the rifle or the bullet?  Does the Daniel Defense normally shoot better than that?

The 75 Hornady shoots well in all my rifles.  With Varget, I get 1/2 MOA at 200 yards; 3/4 MOA with TAC.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I overlaid the top left with the top middle, both from the White Oak rifle.  The two meld into a nice 10 shot composite group.  

For me, the issue is how different the 18" DD is from the 20" WOA.  I wouldn't want a bullet good in only one rifle.

Is it the rifle or the bullet?  Does the Daniel Defense normally shoot better than that?

The 75 Hornady shoots well in all my rifles.  With Varget, I get 1/2 MOA at 200 yards; 3/4 MOA with TAC.  

That supursied me too. That Daniel Defense 18" rifle shoots very well. Solid sub MOA 10 shot groups with it. It just doesn't like this bullet. Stange, the ogive is identical to the 75g hornday. In other words my seating die setting with the hornday bullet gave me idental OAL with the RMR bullet.

View Quote

That surprised me too. That Daniel Defense 18" rifle shoots very well. Solid sub MOA 10 shot groups with it. It just doesn't like this bullet. Stange, the ogive is identical to the 75g hornday. In other words my seating die setting with the hornday bullet gave me idental OAL with the RMR bullet. Here are 2 10 shot groups shot only about a month ago.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Okay, we are getting there.

The bullet does not shoot well in a known-good rifle.  It shoots well in one, but not the other.  Is that a fair summary?

This kind of sensitivity is something I don't see in my rifles but I have read about it, though.  I don't know if I've ever previously seen photographic proof.

Through some weird, fuzzy logic, it makes me want to run my own test.  I could compare Hornady to RMR to PPU and maybe a Sierra or two.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top