BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the True Velocity teams strategic mistake was not offering a belt fed and instead bidding an "automatic rifle". The Marines are bought into the concept but it was always going to be a long putt for big army to give up on belt feds.

Hope the civilian version is still coming in any event.
View Quote

I tend to agree.  Army wanted a NEW gun, not a rebarreled old gun.  If I'd been working with GD/TV on their side, I'd have seen if we could license the KA belt fed LMG for that [especially since they proved that with a barrel swap it would do the job].
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Same page.

But really, I'm also wondering if the program & the round will survive. NATO isn't going to embrace it, so there's that. But exclusivity of its application to just 2 arms in the entire inventory adds to the impracticality factor. I'm also just not a fan of the 277 Fury 80k psi & "hybrid case" concept, but the commercial variant will be performance neutered, so it will be wanting in comparison to 7.62x51 anyway.

Unfortunately, TVCM 6.8 won't have the financial push behind it to support volume supply & economic scaling to propel widespread market adoption. That is, of course, unless Big Army decides that legacy arms in 6.8 really should be a thing & revisits the TV round, which would be a more practical & forward-thinking option.
View Quote

Yah, NATO would have to completely retool, not just swap barrels on all their old .30 cal guns to have compatability.  Yah, sure, the argument could be made that 'Murica doesn't need their supply chains, but thats not the point of NATO. I just see it going no where.  Hope they designed the cartridge so it won't accidentally chamber in 7.62 NATO guns...
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I had posted this in another thread somewhere, but Thales in Australia was waiting for the winner in NGSW to decide ammo on a potential new F90/AUG varient: https://fragoutmag.com/thales-developing-new-6-8mm-close-combat-weapon/
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had posted this in another thread somewhere, but Thales in Australia was waiting for the winner in NGSW to decide ammo on a potential new F90/AUG varient: https://fragoutmag.com/thales-developing-new-6-8mm-close-combat-weapon/
View Quote

While i think people's concern about the location of the bullpups chamber is way overblown, I would not want 80k psi right below my face.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
The bullpup was not at 80k psi..Just the Sig offering.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The bullpup was not at 80k psi..Just the Sig offering.
View Quote

It was in response to a potential thales bullpup chambered in the sig cartridge
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#7]
277 Fury - 6.8x51 - Has the military lost its mind?

G&A Amicus/Genesis article
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#8]

According to the GA article the AR variant was going to have a 50 round magazine, curious if they were thinking a drum or what?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:43:23 AM EDT
[#9]
MAC seems to be comparing apples to horseshoes when he starts spouting numbers on the different cartridges. If Sigs numbers are credible for the .277fury then they are launching 130-140gr high bc bullets (.488-.508 g1) out of a 16" barrel around 2900-3000fps.  My 24" 6.5creed match rifle is about 200fps slower than that with Hornady match ammo slinging 140-147gr (.495-.505 g1) bullets.  

Can you get a high bc .308 bullet for the gpmg? Yes you can but it requires adding about 26gr of extra weight to each cartridge and the extra weight slows the .308 down drastically. Those high bc .308 bullets slow the .308 cartridge down quite a bit, in a 24" barrel 149gr lakecity xm80 is going around 2780fps and 175gr fgmm is going around 2600fps.  Not many carbines or gpmg have a 24" barrel.  Long barrels and heavy guns suck under competition timer pressure, I can not imagine how much they suck in a real fight.

I think the army wanted a better long range gpmg that didn't require additional ammo weight.  Then they probably wanted a carbine variant with the same cartridge for an ar10 style DMR.  I doubt the m4 is going away any time soon.  If the army is lucky the new sig gpmg is reliable and gives squads better external and terminal ballistics without a bunch of extra weight.  .277fury really sounds like a barrel burner however, I'd be surprised if barrel life is longer than 2000 rounds.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:04:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

According to the GA article the AR variant was going to have a 50 round magazine, curious if they were thinking a drum or what?
View Quote

Don't know. Being a BP, any larger cap feed mechanism was resigned to be bulky.

The BP setup was a radical departure which I suspected would be viewed as a con in the final evaluation, even though it was a superior design in terms of weight, recoil mitigation, & heat reduction owed to the TVNC cartridge. I don't see the SIG offering as a step up. It's heavy, & recoil (at least with the rifle) is pretty substantial.

On top of all this, a 180 gr .308 delivers similar ballistics.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#11]

According to the article, it weighs 12.6 lbs. (tested with Aimpoint M68 CCO, suppressor and empty mag.)

So, it's about 10lbs naked?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:46:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

According to the article, it weighs 12.6 lbs. (tested with Aimpoint M68 CCO, suppressor and empty mag.)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Don't know. Per the article:

Weight: 12.6 lbs. (tested with Aimpoint M68 CCO, suppressor and empty mag.)

Unsure if this means it was weighed with all those accessories on or not.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or 9lbs+
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Ammunition aside, how much do we actually know about the rifle?

What are its benefits? Has it been torture tested? Is it reliable? We can only assume that it is because it made it so far in the trials, but that's still just an assumption. Especially given that it was still in prototype phase only about a year ago.

I'm curious about the rifle. I just want to know more about its features.

Tentatively searching about it last night, I can find very little information about the rifle itself. Everyone seems to be focusing on the ammunition type, which is cool, but imo, not nearly as critical as the platform itself.

It kind of feels like it's not yet a finished product.

It would be cool if people like inrange got their hands on it, or garand thumb. I have a hunch that this is going to be vaporware.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ammunition aside, how much do we actually know about the rifle?

What are its benefits? Has it been torture tested? Is it reliable? We can only assume that it is because it made it so far in the trials, but that's still just an assumption. Especially given that it was still in prototype phase only about a year ago.

I'm curious about the rifle. I just want to know more about its features.

Tentatively searching about it last night, I can find very little information about the rifle itself. Everyone seems to be focusing on the ammunition type, which is cool, but imo, not nearly as critical as the platform itself.

It kind of feels like it's not yet a finished product.

It would be cool if people like inrange got their hands on it, or garand thumb. I have a hunch that this is going to be vaporware.
View Quote

..I thought this program has been going on for 3 years? I think most of the information about the rifle is collectively in the thread
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I think I might've missed some of it then. I can't seem to find much information on how you lock the bolt open, and how the semi-full auto selector works.

Different mockups of the rifle online seem to have different controls, some having the rectangular bolt release button, some lacking it.

Also, I would like to see a video on how you field strip it.

You know, like the more practical concerns.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Most of that is classified due to the program.. These are not (yet) commercial rifles.. Hopefully berretta will being the RM277 to market and we will get to see more..
Or ..It will be a forgotten weapon
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#18]
But the Army competition is over. There shouldn't be any reason not to have a press release discussing all the features of the rifle at this point. Provided that it is in the completed model phase, of course.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Sure..But I dont recall them doing that with any of the previous competitions..
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#20]
If they want to sell it commercially, they probably should.

There are people who would love to buy an American made, military grade bullpup rifle. Especially one with the features it has.

Those being:

1) Mag release near the strong hand index finger.

2) Easily accessible side mounted charging handle.

3) The ability to easily drop the bolt.

4) The ability to easily lock the bolt open without requiring the user to dismount the rifle and require three points of contact while repositioning both hands on the rifle (This feature has not yet been discussed with the RM277. I really want to know how easy it is to lock the bolt open.) The Steyr AUG is a fantastic example of how to achieve this.

If it has all those features, and is accurate, and reliable enough to almost make it into the Army infantry, it would be the first of its kind, and it should be a winner commercially.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#21]
The US Army’s new Service Rifle - The SIG SPEAR / NGSW XM5
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There are people who would love to buy an American made, military grade bullpup rifle. Especially one with the features it has.

Those being:

4) The ability to easily lock the bolt open without requiring the user to dismount the rifle and require three points of contact while repositioning both hands on the rifle (This feature has not yet been discussed with the RM277. I really want to know how easy it is to lock the bolt open.) The Steyr AUG is a fantastic example of how to achieve this.

If it has all those features, and is accurate, and reliable enough to almost make it into the Army infantry, it would be the first of its kind, and it should be a winner commercially.
View Quote

Eh.. We shall see if Berretta decides to sell it.

Interestingly enough, the MDR was in the very same trial in 6.8x51 and has all of the features you listed...Looks like the MDR didn't make the final 3 due to the rifles unloaded weight.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Interestingly enough, the MDR was in the very same trial in 6.8x51 and has all of the features you listed...Looks like the MDR didn't make the final 3 due to the rifles unloaded weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those being:

Didn't the MDR have tons of reliability issues when it came out? I hear some of those issues still pop up now from time to time, and require trips to the repair department at DT.

Maintenance wise, it doesn't seem very user-friendly. But then again, I'm no expert on that platform.

Seems fine for civilians. I don't know if it's reliable/durable enough for military service.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Didn't the MDR have tons of reliability issues when it came out? I hear some of those issues still pop up now from time to time, and require trips to the repair department at DT.

Maintenance wise, it doesn't seem very user-friendly. But then again, I'm no expert on that platform.

Seems fine for civilians. I don't know if it's reliable/durable enough for military service.
View Quote

Sure did. Largely resolved now. Mostly due to what DT "Though" people would shoot. DT never factored in people would buy and expensive rifle and shoot the crappiest 308 they could find in it.
Which lead to 2 additional revisions of its gas plug.

Maintenance wise..Its easy to get into and clean what needs to be cleaned with 2 or 3 pins.

Without releasing why each gun/ammo combo in the trial didnt pass (over the Sig Spear) its all speculation (tho I have posted the NGSW specs on the 6.8 MDR and it did not seem to conform with the maximum weigh standard)

So..technically..The MDR could be seen as a "Military tested rifle" the same as the RM277.. But since neither were implemented. That term might fall on deaf ears.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Ugh, I wish the RM277 won the contract. I would really like to see a qualified bullpup in the hands of American troops. I am glad and pleasantly surprised that it was seriously considered though.

In terms of the end user, I just see the Sig XM5 as an upgraded (externally) M4. Caliber choice aside, it isn't a vast improvement over the M4, imo. I do like the side mounted charging handle, and the ability to lock the bolt open with the strong index finger. Those are much needed changes from the M4.

But the folding stock is merely a quality of life upgrade, imo. Great for stowing the rifle while in vehicles, etc. But it's going to be extended while on mission. Integrated irons are great, but more a luxury than a necessity. The T charging handle should be eliminated completely. There are plenty of infantry weapons that only have side charging handles.

The bullpup has so many advantages. Although I acknowledge that without a detailed breakdown of the rifle, that opinion must be held as tentative.

I despise the argument about "retraining to a bullpup." Army and USMC grunts are required to learn half a dozen different platforms at a minimum, each with different manuals of arms. That's not including other extraneous weapons they are taught.

It takes all of a day to learn a new platform comfortably. Maybe a week to develop solidified proficiency. A bit longer for mastery. But that's what grunts do, endless weapons drills. Task and Purpose's presenter is a former Army grunt, and he said he became comfortable with the RM277 within about 3 hours.  What a brain dead excuse people have.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Same..Im really hoping there was enough interest in the "sign up for:" page related to the RM 277 that we start getting them..
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Unpopular opinion but going with a short recoil action was stupid. There’s a reason that was mostly dropped post WWI. It’s harder to make the gun consistently accurate. Look at the stupid expensive LWRC PCCs issues. More large moving areas means it probably fared worse in adverse condition testing. More moving stuff means more areas for random crap to add additional friction and cause failures to function.

Neat gun still but it’s definitely going the forgotten weapon route like all the other failed competitors from previous m16 replacement competition guns.

If they do make them for the civilian market I doubt they will do it long as it will be an oddball priced well above what most would ever pay for such a rifle. Just like none of the expensive “ar killers” ever become such on the civilian market because the number of people willing to spend $2k and up is far lower than those willing to shell out the low cost for a poverty pony or PSA.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Unpopular opinion but going with a short recoil action was stupid. There’s a reason that was mostly dropped post WWI. It’s harder to make the gun consistently accurate. Look at the stupid expensive LWRC PCCs issues. More large moving areas means it probably fared worse in adverse condition testing. More moving stuff means more areas for random crap to add additional friction and cause failures to function.

Neat gun still but it’s definitely going the forgotten weapon route like all the other failed competitors from previous m16 replacement competition guns.

If they do make them for the civilian market I doubt they will do it long as it will be an oddball priced well above what most would ever pay for such a rifle. Just like none of the expensive “ar killers” ever become such on the civilian market because the number of people willing to spend $2k and up is far lower than those willing to shell out the low cost for a poverty pony or PSA.
View Quote

I think it would definitely have more of a fighting chance if it was sold on the commercial market in regular 5.56 or 7.62.

I can't even imagine how expensive that special polymer cased ammo would likely cost.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can't even imagine how expensive that special polymer cased ammo would likely cost.
View Quote

In 308 with an HPBT bullet it's $3.50 a round, the brass cased stuff runs $4 a round.

I don't know what it would cost for an FMJ but I can all but guarantee it would be worth it for any light infantry or helicopter mounted use, especially in MGs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

In 308 with an HPBT bullet it's $3.50 a round, the brass cased stuff runs $4 a round.

I don't know what it would cost for an FMJ but I can all but guarantee it would be worth it for any light infantry or helicopter mounted use, especially in MGs.
View Quote

True Velocity makes the ammo used in the Rm277.
I recently picked up a box of 20 (308) for 2.45 a round at my local Bimart.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sure did. Largely resolved now. Mostly due to what DT "Though" people would shoot. DT never factored in people would buy and expensive rifle and shoot the crappiest 308 they could find in it.

Maintenance wise..Its easy to get into and clean what needs to be cleaned with 2 or 3 pins.

Without releasing why each gun/ammo combo in the trial didnt pass (over the Sig Spear) its all speculation (tho I have posted the NGSW specs on the 6.8 MDR and it did not seem to conform with the maximum weigh standard)

So..technically..The MDR could be seen as a "Military tested rifle" the same as the RM277.. But since neither were implemented. That term might fall on deaf ears.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just an FYI, but the Desert Tech NGSW wasn't the same gun really as the civilian MDRX. Here's a bit of info on it: https://soldiersystems.net/2020/03/10/the-desert-tech-next-generation-squad-weapons-submissions/

"Although the DT NGSAR rifles’ lower receiver and cheekpiece look similar to the MDR rifle, the NGSAR is an entirely new beast."
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just an FYI, but the Desert Tech NGSW wasn't the same gun really as the civilian MDRX. Here's a bit of info on it: https://soldiersystems.net/2020/03/10/the-desert-tech-next-generation-squad-weapons-submissions/

"Although the DT NGSAR rifles’ lower receiver and cheekpiece look similar to the MDR rifle, the NGSAR is an entirely new beast."
View Quote

You notice they say MDR..not MDRX.

The MDRX was released in 2020 with several updates (enough to distinguish it from from the MDR) with new features such as: different bolt carrier, barrel(s), barrel extension (FE to SE), different ejection option (Side Eject) and an improved Gasblock (2nd update).

Im pretty sure most of that came from the NGSAR program. The longer receiver and T-Worx rails didn't carry over (The receiver would make an already heavy MDRX more so)..Maybe we will see a Gen 3 MDR(Xtra) with the rest of the mods Not currently on the MDRX.

DT is a civilian company and the changes from the prototype NGSAR to their current rifle would probably be what we would get in translation to a Civiy RM277 (I doubt we would get a 1:1 RM277 just in semi auto).
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The MDRX was released in 2020 with several updates (enough to distinguish it from from the MDR) with new features such as: different bolt carrier, barrel(s), barrel extension (FE to SE), different ejection option (Side Eject) and an improved Gasblock (2nd update).

Im pretty sure most of that came from the NGSAR program. The longer receiver and T-Worx rails didn't carry over (The receiver would make an already heavy MDRX more so)..Maybe we will see a Gen 3 MDR(Xtra) with the rest of the mods Not currently on the MDRX.

DT is a civilian company and the changes from the prototype NGSAR to their current rifle would probably be what we would get in translation to a Civiy RM277 (I doubt we would get a 1:1 RM277 just in semi auto).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, well for sure the open bolt selector would not be on the civi model RM277 :)

I'm all for DT trickling down the NGSW tech on their MDR series too.

The guns and ammo magazine article on the RM277 did show some good info on the controls layout. Pretty interesting stuff.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, well for sure the open bolt selector would not be on the civi model RM277 :)

The guns and ammo magazine article on the RM277 did show some good info on the controls layout. Pretty interesting stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you link that article?
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

'
Guns and Ammo article
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:37:02 AM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

'
Guns and Ammo article

Great article! It looks like you can lock the action open by pulling the charging handle rearward while pulling back on the sliding block.

And it looks like I mistook the location of the safety and the open bolt/closed bolt actuator button.

I would absolutely love to take a road trip to whatever plant this was made at, just to check it out. They would probably turn me away though, being just some random yahoo with zero online journalistic credentials.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Only thing I would want added to the design would be a user-removable barrel, preferably QD/tool-less, if feasible.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:04:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I would rather just see a 5.56 version offered as well. It would probably sell like hotcakes. As I'm typing this, why do we even use that expression? I don't think I've ever bought a hotcake. Wtf even is that?

Whatever.

QD Barrel change would be interesting. Is the barrel free-floated?

Another cool thing would be to have swappable magazine wells, so you can use different pattern magazines. Kinda like the Hellion.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would rather just see a 5.56 version offered as well. It would probably sell like hotcakes. As I'm typing this, why do we even use that expression? I don't think I've ever bought a hotcake. Wtf even is that?

Whatever.

Another cool thing would be to have swappable magazine wells, so you can use different pattern magazines. Kinda like the Hellion.
View Quote

That's also a good idea. Considering it's about the size of an ARX100/160 & can handle 6.8, & therefore probably .308, a 5.56/.308 caliber compatibility range with QD barrel would be slick, though I don't know if/how the "impulse averaging" sliding barrel & carrier mechanism might be adaptable across that range.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Whatever.

View Quote

Its piston driven..So no..The Barrel is not free floated (Like the majority of other commercial US bullpups) and has a unique recoil reduction system apart of a very long piston.
RM277 barrel and Gas system representation

The only reason I think 556 would be silly, is your replicating the problem the DT MDRX has..

Which is: Its too heavy in 556 (at 9lbs) but makes perfect sense in a full power cartridge at that weight.
The Caliber conversion also make the gun slightly heavier in 556 vs 308.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Just a bump, curious if anyone has heard any rumblings if the Amicus/Genesis is still going to be rolled out commercially.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Only news I've heard recently was LSFW withdrew their bid protest over the NGSW contract, so the contract is going forward with Sig.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Only news I've heard recently was LSFW withdrew their bid protest over the NGSW contract, so the contract is going forward with Sig.
View Quote

That just sucks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That just sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That just sucks.

Yes, yes it does, my friend.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hadn't heard about that. That BP is going to a museum, & nowhere else. Same for the 6.8 TVC. Unsurprisingly, big Army is sticking with the (derivative) AR.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top